QED A240 SA repair

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, first post here, hope I am in the right section etc.

I live on the Wirral in the UK and I have just rediscovered my old system that's been sitting in my loft for about 10 years.

It consists of:

1. 1 x pair Linn Helix LS 150's.

2. QED flat 79 strand speaker cables. (complete with interconnects that seem too small for the wire..)

3. QED A250 SA amp

4. Technics SL-P333 CD

I have just discovered that the right speaker channel is really muffled compared to the left and was wondering if it would be worth getting it looked at or should I spend my money on a budget replacement..?

A

Anonymous

Make sure that the bi-wire links on the back of the speakers are nice and tight, if fitted. Maybe the tweeter has blown, if so they are probably no longer available. The amplifier dates back to 1986 making it 25 years old, it will need a good service as parts inside deteriorate with time whether its being used or not, maybe this is the problem. Have you been able to try another CD player into the amp, it might be the CD player at fault. The system needs to be properly tested by a dealer before you spend any money, to see which bits are worth fixing. The system you have is still good if it worked properly and modern equivalent system would set you back about £1650 with modern items.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
geetplayer said:
Hi guys, first post here, hope I am in the right section etc.

I live on the Wirral in the UK and I have just rediscovered my old system that's been sitting in my loft for about 10 years.

It consists of:

1. 1 x pair Linn Helix LS 150's.

2. QED flat 79 strand speaker cables. (complete with interconnects that seem too small for the wire..)

3. QED A250 SA amp

4. Technics SL-P333 CD

I have just discovered that the right speaker channel is really muffled compared to the left and was wondering if it would be worth getting it looked at or should I spend my money on a budget replacement..?

You need to determine what is faulty.

First swap the L & R speaker cables on the amplifier and see if the muffled channel moves if it doesn't speaker is faulty. As previously mentioned check bi-wire jumpers are tight and corrosion free. Next swap the L & R RCA inputs to the amplifier, again see if the muffled channel moves if it doesn't amplifier is faulty, if it does the cd or RCA lead is faulty.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the replies. I have tried all of the above and also hooked up my pc to one of the amp inputs.

It would appear that I do indeed have a problem with the right channel on the amp.

Would it be considered beyond economical repair given the age of the amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts