Q2050i and Pioneer A30 + N30

catw4x

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've just bought this combo and am kinda in 2 minds to send it back. Sounds good but the speakers are pretty huge and sound a tad "hollow" to me. Do you think the amp is ok to run them? They kick out some volume with only a quarter on the vol dial. Also I will prob use them for 70% movies 30% music. The amp is only stereo but I don't want to sacrifice quality over av options. I listened to the new sony 840 and it was no where near as clear with music. I listen to normal tv through them as well and it's kinda weird, maybe lacking a centre? Thing is the mrs doesn't want shed loads speakers everywhere and cables blah....

Iv had them 1 week and not used them too much. Will they sound different after run in?

I think I may need a 2.1 for crystal highs and tight bass without the "boom" "hollow" thing I can hear.

room is a double height converted mill. 2 brick walls and wood floor so that doesn't help!!!

aaagh! So many options

thanks all

matthewpiano

Did you audition? If so, presumably you didn't have these issues in the demo room...

Firstly, I'd say the amp is more than capable. I've been trying the A-30 myself and it is an extremely capable amp - one of the best sub-£500 in my opinion.

However, I'd also say the speakers are excellent, putting aside my preference for bookshelves.

I think you need to experiment with positioning in your room, as well as giving the speakers more time to run-in (these are the only part of the system which may sound different after 40-50 hours). The room isn't ideal and it may even be that the impressive bass of the 2050i speakers is setting off all sorts of resonances in the acoustic.

catw4x said:
Hi everyone. I've just bought this combo and am kinda in 2 minds to send it back. Sounds good but the speakers are pretty huge and sound a tad "hollow" to me. Do you think the amp is ok to run them? They kick out some volume with only a quarter on the vol dial. Also I will prob use them for 70% movies 30% music. The amp is only stereo but I don't want to sacrifice quality over av options. I listened to the new sony 840 and it was no where near as clear with music. I listen to normal tv through them as well and it's kinda weird, maybe lacking a centre? Thing is the mrs doesn't want shed loads speakers everywhere and cables blah....

Iv had them 1 week and not used them too much. Will they sound different after run in?

I think I may need a 2.1 for crystal highs and tight bass without the "boom" "hollow" thing I can hear.

room is a double height converted mill. 2 brick walls and wood floor so that doesn't help!!!

aaagh! So many options

thanks all

I would say give it longer, but you must run it constantly to increase the miles. All my amps I've had running for well over a week between 4-6 hours each day.

If that doesn't produce better results I'd look at changing speakers: From personal experience of older Pioneers they work great with Wharfedale speakers, although it might be worth seeking advice from the dealer before committing to other speakers or amp.

Before any of that, break the system in properly first.

catw4x

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I may trade for dali zensors after hearing a set. Along with a Yamaha RN500 so I can have just 1 unit with network, airplay, and a sub out and digital in. over the a30/n30 combo i have now. I ony really got the N30 for the USB, ipod and dac and I dont think the dac is that good. RN500 has one built in as well.

man! once you start with this stuff it takes over! my brain is melting.

:)

matthewpiano

I wouldn't rush to get rid of that Pioneer amp, particularly if you are considering Zensors. I've been trying the A30 as a replacement for a Denon PMA720AE, and it works superbly with the Zensor 3s, almost like they were made to go together. Forum user Blackdawn uses an A30 with Dali Lektor 2s and also seems very happy (which is what prompted me to try the Pioneer myself).

I still think you need to pay attention to trying different speaker positionings and treating the room before you start jumping at other options...

catw4x said:
Thanks guys.

I may trade for dali zensors after hearing a set. Along with a Yamaha RN500 so I can have just 1 unit with network, airplay, and a sub out and digital in. over the a30/n30 combo i have now. I ony really got the N30 for the USB, ipod and dac and I dont think the dac is that good. RN500 has one built in as well.

man! once you start with this stuff it takes over! my brain is melting.

:)

No - don't touch your set-up. Just leave it on. The art of this hi-fi lark is... patience.

Without any question, you'll replace the speakers and/or amp and you'll still have problems. Every set-up has a period to bed down or settle in...

As Matthew says experiement with speaker positioning and buy a couple of rugs... far cheaper than component replacement.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Well if I were mostly using my system for AV work I would definitely be getting and AV receiver instead of Stereo amp. This gives you more scope in the future for adding extra speakers etc. You might find you want a centre speaker and sub which adds greatly to the movie experience.

As for the Pioneer - I've owned mine for a while now and have found it very good - if not particularly powerful. Although I've not done an A/B test with it I don't think it sounds any better than my old Denon SE. I usually use the A30 it with Loudness button switched off as I find this more natural sounding. It would be nice to have pre-outs instead of power amp in sockets. I would be tempted to try the NAD amps with the Q acoustics speakers, if you're still sticking with stereo amps.

matthewpiano - what makes you change your Denon for the Pioneer after so long? Have to say I still love the look of the Zensor 3's and wish I had a pair.

matthewpiano

Hi Blackdawn

In short, the Pioneer gives me more clarity and punch than the Denon, with a tighter and more rhythmic sounding bass. It is also more open in the treble and with transients. I have increasingly been finding the Denon too soft round the edges but didn't want to make any huge sweeping changes to the system, particularly as I love the Zensor 3s. It was actually you who came to mind when I was considering my options, remembering that you use the Pioneer with Lektor 2s. I've always liked Pioneer amps. I've had an SA-508 (70s) and a couple of A400s which I enjoyed. I did contemplate an A400 this time, but to get a really nice one you're not far off the price of the A-30 and (now I've heard it) the new amp shares a lot of the qualities of that classic. The A-30 sounds plenty powerful enough with the Zensor 3s, though I'm not a high volume listener anyway - at around 9 o'clock on the volume dial the sound fills the room nicely. Good phono stage too. I never use the loudness button on any amp, and really don't find it necessary here in particular as the Pioneer/Zensor 3 combination works very well at even the lowest volume levels.

I still maintain the PMA720AE is a great amp but, in my present system, the Pioneer works that bit better. It just provides that last bit of balance in my system. I don't feel the need to change to one of the Pioneer CD players as the DCD720AE works very well.

If you ever get a chance to go for the Zensor 3s, they are fabulous. By far my favourite speakers out of the very many I have owned and definitely long-term keepers.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi Blackdawn

In short, the Pioneer gives me more clarity and punch than the Denon, with a tighter and more rhythmic sounding bass. It is also more open in the treble and with transients. I have increasingly been finding the Denon too soft round the edges but didn't want to make any huge sweeping changes to the system, particularly as I love the Zensor 3s. It was actually you who came to mind when I was considering my options, remembering that you use the Pioneer with Lektor 2s. I've always liked Pioneer amps. I've had an SA-508 (70s) and a couple of A400s which I enjoyed. I did contemplate an A400 this time, but to get a really nice one you're not far off the price of the A-30 and (now I've heard it) the new amp shares a lot of the qualities of that classic. The A-30 sounds plenty powerful enough with the Zensor 3s, though I'm not a high volume listener anyway - at around 9 o'clock on the volume dial the sound fills the room nicely. Good phono stage too. I never use the loudness button on any amp, and really don't find it necessary here in particular as the Pioneer/Zensor 3 combination works very well at even the lowest volume levels.

I still maintain the PMA720AE is a great amp but, in my present system, the Pioneer works that bit better. It just provides that last bit of balance in my system. I don't feel the need to change to one of the Pioneer CD players as the DCD720AE works very well.

If you ever get a chance to go for the Zensor 3s, they are fabulous. By far my favourite speakers out of the very many I have owned and definitely long-term keepers.

Hope you enjoy the Pioneer/Dali combo MP. Even though I spent full price on the Pioneer I still think its a good amp and am happy with it so far after more than 1 year. The system sounds really good with classical music as well as other genres. I decided to put a sticker on the vol. control as its difficult to see the level from the distance of the sofa (I have the black version). In the shop I actually only heard the A20 version and liked that so went for the more powerful A30 in the end. I'll be keeping my Dali's, they are so exciting to listen to.

matthewpiano

Yes, the Lektor 2s are definitely in the top 3 of the speakers I've owned - above the Zensor 1s. I think Dalis are very hard to beat. I've owned all 3 parts of your CD-replay chain at one time or another and I reckon you, like me, have got a damn good system at a relatively affordable price. Thanks for unknowingly inspiring me to get the Pioneer - so far it is a complete success.

catw4x

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So, does anyone think Zensor 7s are better than 2050is? they are more expensive but I can get some in a bundle for same as I paid for the 2050is.

I have to re-audition with some A/B comparisons but interested in opinions

matthewpiano

Not heard the 7s but I've never heard a pair of Dali speakers that was less than brilliant, and the 7s use the same bass/mid driver unit as I've got in the 3s. I've heard the Zensor 5s and thought them superb.

catw4x

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Matthewpiano! Definatley need to go audition RN500 with zensor 7 and a30 with 2050i and see how I go. Iv read a few Yamaha reviews on the S500 saying its metallic and not as warm as others. Have you heard one? Just thinking the RN500 will be based on similar components.

ps. Paid extra for my 2050is in gloss black but they look awesome! imposing

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
catw4x said:
Thanks Matthewpiano! Definatley need to go audition RN500 with zensor 7 and a30 with 2050i and see how I go. Iv read a few Yamaha reviews on the S500 saying its metallic and not as warm as others. Have you heard one? Just thinking the RN500 will be based on similar components.

ps. Paid extra for my 2050is in gloss black but they look awesome! imposing

So what about the a30? Did you kept it? Paired with which speakers? I'm looking for a a70, but i'm not secure about his performance. I have no change to ear it... The specs are very good, it seams to be a good deal. Even thought there are few reviews about this amp...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts