Q Acoustics Speaker problem

spoonthumb

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 Suround Sound Speaker set up. My son has managed to take off the grill from the centre speaker and has poked the centre dome of the speakers in. Does this make a difference to the sound and is there a safe way of popping them back out again?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Spoonthumb

My son did exactly the same to the identical speaker a few years ago. It did affect the sound slightly on mine but that m,ay not always be the case.

As always - to the question of ' will it affect the sound'? Only your ears can be the judge.

Gently massaging the centre dome may force it out but it will still have small creases and may split so be careful.

spoonthumb

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't seem to have affected the sound so i will leave them for now. I was going to try using my handheld dustbuster to suck it back out but i can see 'Disaster' written all over that.

Thanks for reply, and i'll keep checking for any more ideas.

Hello spoonthumb

I don't know what it is about kids and dome tweeters, but that sort of thing happens quite a lot :)

I must also point that, if you wish, you undertake the following entirely at your own risk - don't sue me!

In the trade, the usual way to 'recover' a pushed in tweeter (if it's not too bad) is to get a few inches of sellotape (or equivalent) and VERY GENTLY AND LIGHTLY touch the sticky side to the depressed area of the dome. The idea is that the tape will adhere to it the dome material and then you can SLOWLY AND VERY GENTLY pull the dome back into shape. It may take several attempts to achieve the desired result, but it does normally work.

Best regards,

Steve Reichert

spoonthumb

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Steve.

He's grown a bit now and hopefully it's the end of that habit.

The sticky tape worked a treat and almost no marke remain. Thanks again

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd use the centre tube of a loo roll or cling film, etc.

One end over the dome, and gently increase suction with your mouth over the other end until it pops out again. Personally wouldn't use a vacuum cleaner for fear of ripping the dome out completely!

Worst case is removing the tweeter and diaphragm and poking it the right shape again from behind...

EDIT or you could use the stickytape method... D'oh!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
spoonthumb said:
Thanks Steve.

He's grown a bit now and hopefully it's the end of that habit.

The sticky tape worked a treat and almost no marke remain. Thanks again

A threat of 'no pocket money for ten years' if he does it again might work!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts