Q Acoustics 1050i, Good Match For Roksan Kandy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the SB Touch could be an option then.

Is there any type of spec i need to look for in a laptop so that the server runs without any problems?

Would it cause any problems if i was to shutdown and boot up the laptop rather than use WOL when not using the SB Touch?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Not too sure on the requirements of the latest version of the software as that also has an inbuilt DLNA server. I've happily run older versions on an 800MHz Celeron! Anything over 1.5GHz should be absolutely fine. A used netbook with a 1.6GHz Atom CPU should do the job as long a sit has enough disk space.

Shutting down the server completely will cause no problems & you'll still be able to access Internet radio via Logitech's MySqueezebox.com portal.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I've just found out that the NA7004 will only support gapless playback through Airplay, which means being tied to formats supported by Apple & running an itunes server.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies Crocodile.

I have noticed that most streamers don't support gapless playback. It would seem that a SB Touch with a laptop and vortexbox would be a good option. I can get a second hand laptop and a 2TB external hard drive for about £150-£200 and it would outperform a NAS and would have the benefit of the vortex software.

Another option i was thinking of was to get a Acer RL100 HTPC so i could run vortex box on it and also the Boxee software so it could then be used for music and movies and i wouldn't need to buy a boxee box then. If i was to leave SB Server running and watch a movie at the same time would it cause problems or would i be best to turn SB server off when watching a movie, browsing the web etc..?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Vortexbox is a complete OS & server in it's own right so needs a machine dedicated to that purpose. It replaces the OS on the PC & you can't run other software on it. I seem to recall that it now also serves video so you may not need anything else but you'll have to read up on that.

If you were to run the Logitech server software (now called LMS) on a Windows PC then you could run other servers without having to shut LMS down. I have the previous 7.6.2 version running permanently on a WHS machine that also runs Windows Media Connect, another DLNA server. They both run happily side by side. Only thing I think you may need to watch out for in this scenario is different software using the same port. LMS & Twonky for example both use port 9000 for their web interfaces by default, but LMS can be changed.

T

the record spot

No doubt all useful stuff, but isn't this just all such a faff just to play some music? Simplicity doesn't mean sacrificing quality IMO. This route just seems like additional complexity that - for me anyway - I could do without. Understand that's not the OP's preference necessarily or others, for that matter.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

@Crocodile: I didn't realise Vortexbox was a whole OS, i thought it was just a software programe. If i go down that route i may be best to stick to the normal SB server.

@TheRecordSpot: The SB Touch and other streamers do look good. but i keep on coming back to the Onkyo TX8050 and feel that it would be a good choice, plus it would help save some space. I am very tempted as the buyer for my speakers wants to buy my Roksan and it would mean if i sold it the funds would pay for the Onkyo and it wouldn't cost me any money.

Do you think the 1050i's would be a good match for the Onkyo RecordSpot? And how does the Onkyo perform with playback from a external hard drive through the front usb port?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
No doubt all useful stuff, but isn't this just all such a faff just to play some music? Simplicity doesn't mean sacrificing quality IMO. This route just seems like additional complexity that - for me anyway - I could do without. Understand that's not the OP's preference necessarily or others, for that matter.

Not sure where you're seeing faff & complexity in streaming to a Squeezebox any more than to your Onkyo? Only real difference is that Squeezebox requires it's own dedicated server software. In return for that, amongst other benefits, you get music played back as it was intended to be. I know you've previously dismissed this as unimportant to you but it's clearly important to others.

Although apparently not to reviewers. :?

T

the record spot

Crocodile said:
the record spot said:

Not sure where you're seeing faff & complexity in streaming to a Squeezebox any more than to your Onkyo? Only real difference is that Squeezebox requires it's own dedicated server software. In return for that, amongst other benefits, you get music played back as it was intended to be. I know you've previously dismissed this as unimportant to you but it's clearly important to others.

Although apparently not to reviewers. :?

I think that it was probably this one below....the Onkyo doesn't need any of this. I plug it into the network and it goes. No additional software, no worrying about replacing operating systems, ports being shared by different applications or whatever. I just unboxed it, wired it up to the speakers and CD player and off we went. Occasionally, I'll plug in the hard disk drive to the USB input or I'll put the ethernet cable in to use the network features, but that's it. It just does it. No faff. That's my point. Oh and I get music played back as it was intended to be; bit-perfect rips via EAC, onto the HDD, straight back through the stereo. Done, dusted.

Crocodile said:
Vortexbox is a complete OS & server in it's own right so needs a machine dedicated to that purpose. It replaces the OS on the PC & you can't run other software on it. I seem to recall that it now also serves video so you may not need anything else but you'll have to read up on that.

If you were to run the Logitech server software (now called LMS) on a Windows PC then you could run other servers without having to shut LMS down. I have the previous 7.6.2 version running permanently on a WHS machine that also runs Windows Media Connect, another DLNA server. They both run happily side by side. Only thing I think you may need to watch out for in this scenario is different software using the same port. LMS & Twonky for example both use port 9000 for their web interfaces by default, but LMS can be changed.

T

the record spot

Gareth82 said:
@TheRecordSpot: The SB Touch and other streamers do look good. but i keep on coming back to the Onkyo TX8050 and feel that it would be a good choice, plus it would help save some space. I am very tempted as the buyer for my speakers wants to buy my Roksan and it would mean if i sold it the funds would pay for the Onkyo and it wouldn't cost me any money.

Do you think the 1050i's would be a good match for the Onkyo RecordSpot? And how does the Onkyo perform with playback from a external hard drive through the front usb port?

It depends what you want; the SB has a lot of fans and it looks like a good bit of equipment. Good functionality, etc. My earlier point to Crocodile remains though; if you want to reduce the box-count (which sounds like that's one of your considerations), then that's something to bear in mind. If you don't mind having a separate laptop running with your SB and out into your amp, then it's a non-issue.

I think the Q / Onkyo mix would be worth listening to alright; but wouldn't want to steer you down a potentially blind alley on the back of my enthusiasm for both products. If I had the room, I'd certainly shortlist them if you can get them for £120. It's a lot of speaker for the money, but while the finish isn't the finest you'll ever see (functional more than anything else I think it's fair to say), they spent the money in the right places and the end result shows it.

As for the 8050's front USB, I use the HDD/USB connection frequently and am impressed with it. Simple plug-in, reads the file contents, you just select the relevant music folder and file you want to hear and off you go. Currently in the middle of copying across my collection which must be around 500-600 discs. I moved house recently and if I could reduce the physical media down to a couple of external hard drives (one backup) then I'll be happy.

Think my end tip would be to try out both the 8050 and the Squeezebox and see which one ticks more boxes. Personal choice and all that.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply RS.

The 1050i's are being deliverd today at about 5 o'clock and the buyer for my Wharfedale's is picking them up on Thursday evening so i will have a few days to try the QA's with the Kandy to see how they gel. I will be getting either a streamer or the Onkyo, the Onkyo seems the best option so far but i may change my mind once i hear the QA's with the Kandy.

Does the Onkyo playback 96/24 files through the usb?

Also, someone earlier recommended a Harmon Kardon HD980 CDP, i have researched it and it has a 32bit Dac, CD txt etc and can be had for as little as £134 new. Have you had an experience with this CDP? Thought it might be worth changing my CD72 for it, it keeps having trouble reading some discs so may have to go and although i want a streamer, i still would like a CDP as well.

Thanks

T

the record spot

I've heard the Hk HD990 CDP, which offers a DAC to which you can connect another digital source but not the HD980 which didn't offer an offboard provision - do check though. The HD990 originally retailed at £500, but can be had for significantly less now I think (a bit of a rare find I think). Personally, I really rated the HD990 as a source, which I heard with the HK 990 amp and some Dali Ikon 5s a couple of years ago.

Just checked the manual and 96/24 is supported for both server and USB playback for a variety of formats. The Onkyo will read file folders nested up to 16 levels deep. In the real world, I imagine most people are unlikely to go that far down for artist/album folder structures and I've yet to have a problem with it reading mine (which maybe go to three or four levels down from the root drive).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got the HK 990 myself - £230 - listened to it for twenty minutes then packed up the V-Dac to go on ebay. Terrific DAC, excellent CD player, Coax and optical selectable by remote, amazing bargain. Works a treat with my ATV too, so no complaints at all.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I am seriously thinking of picking up one of the Harmon Kardon CDP's, it would be handy to still be able to listen to cd's.

Forgive me if this may seem abit crazy, but is there a way to use the Onkyo as a source? i was thinking of maybe using the ''Zone 2'' outputs into my Roksan so i could use the tuner, streaming and usb functions and then using ''Zone 1 Speaker A'' so the onkyo can powera pair of speakers in another room and then ''Zone 1 Speaker B'' so the Onkyo can power another pair of speakers in another room as well.

Would this cause any problems at all or is there a better way to connect it all up?

If it would all work the way i think then for £250 then i could have a source in my main system for the Roksan, and have a multi room system capable of running another two pairs of speakers in another room, and all of this done by the Onkyo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts