pz85 or pz81?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thx for all the help in my other thread, just got one alst decision to make. do i get the panny pz85 46 or the pz81? the pz81 sseems to have more awards on the panny site, but id ont think im bothered about freeview due to having sky +. Is there any differences between the picture etc?? that should make me for out the extra 75 pounds for the pz81? i kinda prefer the look of the 85 but just want the best model that will last me the most years!

any help is appreciated  

A

Anonymous

Have you for SKY HD? If not, the Z81 will give you the Freesat HD channels from the same dish. (remember you wont be able to get Freeview HD with the current tuners). It also has PIP and plays video from the SD card. PQ for both is really the same, just diffeent bells and whistles. In depth reviews of the Z81 on the forums av site.

A

Anonymous

no ive not got sky hd, just sky + 2 wires coming from dish into that. So can i run the freesat hd off the dish??? think the pz82 is the best chioice then? sounds like the better option for a small amount more

A

Anonymous

I too would like to know which is the better of these Panny sets as i've totally given up on the idea of the 46W4500 now... I'm fed up of all the bad clouding problems.. It would be nice to know which is best and also which size performs best, 46" or 50".

A

Anonymous

I'm also reading some reviews for the Z85.

As a plasma, are cluding issues less likely to occur? I'm not as well versed with plasma technology.

I'd be curious to know peoples view between these two sets. Also how they handle 24p in peoples experience.

A

Anonymous

No clouding issues at all on a plasma as their is no backlight! youll get a better picture imo too more natual lookin images , better motion handling, and deeper blacks!

A

Anonymous

The only thing stopping me from going to the store right now to exchange is the difference between the PZ81B and the PZ85B. the specs seem to be identical in terms of PQ and image processing (unless i missed something).

Its seems to be more a case of which features you want with it. Freesat built-in is appealing. I know both have awards for pic quality and have 24p real cinema, which is my main issue.

There are no PZ85s in the store. There is little price difference between them. As i say the Freesat is a nice touch, despite the slightly nice design of the 85.

Both are FULL HD, i also read. I'm finding it hard to put one in front of the other, here.

A

Anonymous

sebastian:

The only thing stopping me from going to the store right now to exchange is the difference between the PZ81B and the PZ85B. the specs seem to be identical in terms of PQ and image processing (unless i missed something).Both are FULL HD, i also read. I'm finding it hard to put one in front of the other, here.They are really the same PQ. The Z85 has better sound, BBE Surround, and looks different at the front and has the third HDMI at the side(at the front on the 80/81) which some people prefer.

81 has the Freesat tuner, PIP and plays video off the SD card. Both have IFC, 24p Real Cinema, Digital sound output

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
rewerb:sebastian:

The only thing stopping me from going to the store right now to exchange is the difference between the PZ81B and the PZ85B. the specs seem to be identical in terms of PQ and image processing (unless i missed something).Both are FULL HD, i also read. I'm finding it hard to put one in front of the other, here.They are really the same PQ. The Z85 has better sound, BBE Surround, and looks different at the front and has the third HDMI at the side(at the front on the 80/81) which some people prefer.

81 has the Freesat tuner, PIP and plays video off the SD card. Both have IFC, 24p Real Cinema, Digital sound output
I think that the PZ85 has better on board sound but that's it. I went for the PZ81 and haven't regretted it. In a year or so who knows how much free HD stuff there'll be on Freesat??

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have the 42" PZ85 and it's an excellent tv. Good with SD, excellent with upscaled dvd's, and Blu-Rays or PS3 games look stunning. Really natural colours, handles fast motion scenes with ease and really dark blacks.

There was a few reasons why I went for the 85 over the 81...

1. The 85 was around £200 cheaper when I bought my tv (a few months ago now).

2. I wanted the improved audio of the 85 for normal tv viewing and late night viewing. Surprisingly good with the BBE VIVA fake surround on, by flatscreen standards that is. I do have a proper surround setup for movies and decent programs like Top Gear, but at least it sounds half decent if im not using my Denon amp.

3. I liked the idea of the freesat receiver on the 81 but there's no inbuilt recording. I think your better off with SKY HD or the new freesat HD boxes. At least that way you have full recording features built in. And you can record and watch a seperate channel at the same time.

With the prices now alot closer it's a tougher call, and you won't go far wrong with either tv. It just depends what features your looking for, ie freesat or better sound. The PQ will be identical on both sets. The 85 comes with a swivel stand as well which is really handy for plugging in connections. Im not sure if the 81 model does.

It does take a bit of tweaking to look it's best as the factory settings are miles off. 15 mins with the THX optimizer works wonders though.

A friend of mine has the 46PZ85 and he loves it.

A

Anonymous

Also went for the 42" PZ85 and happy to report it's a beautiful picture, even on SD. Am happy with the plasma over LCD choice, as to me it looks like a CRT set, so no issues at all with motion problems, edge definition etc.

Saw both sets in Comet, was going for the PZ80 but saw the 85 near to it and felt it was better after comparing the settings on both. Liked the styling of the 85 better than the 80/81. If you're not bothered about Freesat and can afford the differential, then I'd go for the 85. Both sets are going to be very good though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts