Put Off By Price Rises

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Gonna have to find another way to scratch that itch. And it's in the post!

A scratching post?

leo_post_01.jpg

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
BTW, has anyone else noticed that the BBC always refers to him as 'President Obama', rather than 'US President Obama', whereas it's 'German Chancellor Merkel' and 'French President Sarkoszy'?

Does the BBC know something we don't? Is Gordon about to hand over the keys to the UK to our new President in a ceremony to be held at that windswept hangar out in Docklands tomorrow?

ÿ

Would be nice to have a leader with at least an inkling of competancy! (yet to be proven of course, but I think any change would be welcomed by most at present!)ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Better by far to stick with products that maintain their already too high prices.

BTW why are Apple products the same price everywhere you look, from their own PommeShops to between the oranges and pears at Asda?

Restrictive supply chains? Or the magnanimous people in the Infinite Loop being egalitarian as well as wonderful?

Irony: in America, it's how iron tastes...

"Well is'nt it ironic, dontcha think?"

No, I do'nt.

In order to have irresponsible lenders, dont you need irresponsible lenders (EDIT - i mean "borrowers", obviously) too?

Numerical obscenity?! I really must investigate...

Mind, its almost obscene that some here think - regrdless of the whys and wherefors - that 30% is'nt a lot.

However, i would agree we are almost all pretty pampered here and shouldnt forget it.

A

Anonymous

Hi all, Yes i really have being put off by the never ending price rises, I'm now more that happy to keep my gear for much much longer now that some prices are just funny.

Quick question, Will prices fall back down when the pound get's stronger?........me i don't think so.

There are some hifi companies who put their prices up every year even when the pound is super strong. You could blame rising wage bills for this, but now in the recession wages have being cut and yes mine also, 10%.

So is this just greed?

One way i think they could justify a rise is by updating their products and not just hiking up the price for older gear.

One last thing i know i will get a hard time from the WHF team as it's their job to promote/protect the hifi trade.

Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Spam:Quick question, Will prices fall back down when the pound get's stronger?........me i don't think so.

Depends, in some cases competition will drive down the price if an advantage can be seen to be gained.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Spam:Quick question, Will prices fall back down when the pound get's stronger?........me i don't think so.

Depends, in some cases competition will drive down the price if an advantage can be seen to be gained.

I think we are seeing a situation at the moment where companies are trying to get leaner and meaner but still make profits. There is no point in making and selling a product at a loss.There are a lot of big electrical corporations around the world who made horrendous losses during 2008.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:al7478: " is'nt "

do'nt.

is'nt

Don't be offended but the word you are attempting to abbreviate there is "not".

cheers.

Uwot?

EDIT - yeah, yeah, i getcha.

You missed loads of other 'owlers tho innit.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
al7478:Andrew Everard:
Better by far to stick with products that maintain their already too high prices.

BTW why are Apple products the same price everywhere you look, from their own PommeShops to between the oranges and pears at Asda?

Restrictive supply chains? Or the magnanimous people in the Infinite Loop being egalitarian as well as wonderful?

No, I do'nt.

In order to have irresponsible lenders, dont you need irresponsible lenders (EDIT - i mean "borrowers", obviously)ÿtoo?

Mind, its almost obscene that some here think - regrdless of the whys and wherefors - that 30% is'nt a lot.

However, i would agree we are almostÿall pretty pampered here and shouldnt forget it.

ÿ

They just refuse to sell to anyone who discounts. Only the very best brands can do this. That's the secret of their marketing, from product design to end ad the experience and brief is the same. Very impressive.

ÿ

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Spam:One last thing i know i will get a hard time from the WHF team as it's their job to promote/protect the hifi trade.

Spam by name...

Another one of those posts that has one looking at the email address to work out what axe is being ground...

And by the way, while we promote hi-fi - and indeed home cinema and a lot of other home entertainment options - we protect no-one.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:al7478:Andrew Everard:

No, I do'nt.

In order to have irresponsible lenders, dont you need irresponsible lenders (EDIT - i mean "borrowers", obviously) too?

However, i would agree we are almost all pretty pampered here and shouldnt forget it.

Only the very best brands can do this.

Is this really true, or does doing it make them "the best" in folks' minds only? It certainly adds to their exclusivity.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
al7478:JoelSim:al7478:Andrew Everard:

No, I do'nt.

In order to have irresponsible lenders, dont you need irresponsible lenders (EDIT - i mean "borrowers", obviously)ÿtoo?

However, i would agree we are almostÿall pretty pampered here and shouldnt forget it.

ÿ

Only the very best brands can do this.

ÿ

ÿ

Is this really true, or does doing it make them "the best" in folks' minds only? It certainly adds to their exclusivity.

ÿ

It doesn't matter which is true, the perception is there and that is enough. I'm pretty sure they don't have the best computers in the world, but they have the best image, identity, brand...and they are unique.

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:and they are unique.

That's just branding. They're just another big, would-be world-dominating, computer company. With about 10% market share by operating system.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
JoelSim:and they are unique.

That's just branding. They're just another big, would-be world-dominating, computer company. With about 10% market share by operating system.

They have a unique operating system, they practically rule the portable music market, they have the Air, they are consistently innovative, they are the favourite of Designers and artistes worldwide. And yes they are big but they don't give the impression they are a faceless multinational even though they are.

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
We have a Dell PC and a Dell laptop and an iMac 20".

Whenever it comes time to replace the iMac it will not be with another Apple. We like the iMac, simple to use, safe, nice user interface, looks good etc etc.

It's just that (even with 3 year Apple Care and regular backups) I dread the thing breaking!

Dell's 3 and 4 year agreements are 'onsite, next day' and we have tested that claim twice in the last 5 years (replacement screen and replacement power supply) and they are good to their word. The engineer - on both occasions - phoned on the evening before the visit to work out a mutually acceptable time.

If my iMac ever developed a similar problem I would have to drive it 25 miles to their nearest Apple shop and leave it with them for a repair, wait for some indeterminate period, then drive back to collect. A total of 100 miles of driving and no way of knowinghow long it will take. (Dell engineers bring the bits to your place and fix onsite if at all possible.)

Both Apple's and Dell's respective care packages cost about the same. Oh, and Dell's online technicians really know their stuff. They successfully and very patiently talked my wife - a complete technophobe - through a RAM upgrade once. The only time we ever had to phone Apple with a problem, it took 20 minutes to spell my name to them phonetically before I gave up and looked up the solution on the internet.

Moral of the story... if you have Apple make sure you have at least two (or a spare PC) just in case. The machines - well our one at least - are fine. The support sucks.

TRENDING THREADS