PS3, Yamaha AX763 Set-up

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I've set this system up with HDMI cables but I'm having trouble finding out/selecting which format the sound is playing in - i.e. 5.1DD, DTS etc.

I've read the manual and there are some displays on the front of the Yamaha but it generally just displays straight or enhanced 7.1.

Any ideas? I realise I'm probably missing something very obvious...

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Prof,

Sorry, we were talking at cross purposes.

I meant how do I find out what format the Yamaha AX763 amp is playing the surround sound in?

Also am I right in thinking it's better to let the Tamaha AX763 do all of the decoding?

Cheers

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The prof is still correct, your PS3 is outputting to the amp as LPCM and your amp is playing this. The PS3 will tell you which system it's using (unzipping) to send this signal I.E. Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD.

You may be able to select which format the PS3 uses by going into the Language or Sound set up at the start of the film.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Cofnchtr.

I need to know what to select on the Yamaha AX763 though....

Do I use 'straight', 'Multi-Channel in', 'Enhancer'?

I can't seem to workout what surround sound format the Yamaha is playing. I don't want to be using Dolby-pro logic or some other low grade surround mode by mistake!

Cheers

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
sensei_russ:Do I use 'straight', 'Multi-Channel in', 'Enhancer'?

Use Straight, the Enhancer is for music. Straight does not apply any effects to the signal.

Have a read of the manual it explains all.

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Matt.

Straight did seem to obvious option, just wasn't sure. There is nothing on the Yamaha display though to tell me what surround sound type (DD5.1, DTS, etc)I am listening too. You're right though, I will have another read of the manual and try not to get distracted and just put another film on...

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Enhancer is for ipod music,have you got surround decode on your remote if so press that and pcm should appear on your display,took me ages to read the manual and set up how i want it,also make sure ps3 is set to pcm and so is your film,i was very impressed watching ratatouille until i looked at settings on disc and found i was listening to dolby digital,watched again listening in pcm and was blown away!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
With regards to the display, it depends on what signal you're feeding it. If the player is decoding the signal then the amp will be receiving a LPCM signal and won't tell you what format the sound is (your player will though)

If you set the player to output as 'bitstream' then the av will be responsible for decoding and will show on the display what the format being decoded is. Also on the amp remote press 'menu' the on screen display will be active, press enter on the 'signal info' option and you will see all of the formats info i.e bit rate, sampling rate etc.

A

Anonymous

oops!,scrub that first bit,sur.decoder is for playing two channel sources on multi channel,manual says when playing back high resolution audio sources the unit does not apply any sound field programs,so yeah,straight!Was listening to it on mine though!Doh!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
jellybelly:oops!,scrub that first bit,sur.decoder is for playing two channel sources on multi channel,manual says when playing back high resolution audio sources the unit does not apply any sound field programs,so yeah,straight!Was listening to it on mine though!Doh!

You can get carried away with all the sound processing can't you? For now I just use straight for movies, but for say listening to music off the music channels I use the Enhancer, sounds good - even better with the 7-channel enhancer.

A

Anonymous

I am very impressed with the sound through my ipod dock with enhancer but not nearly as impressed as my good lady is with the ammount of "fannying about" i have been doing,"how many settings can it have"she asks!

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys, glad to hear it's not just me who seems to be doing a lot of messing around with all the different features. This is my first surround amp and the number of features and modes are a little overwhelming to say the least!

I've got my laptop hooked upto the Yamaha for itunes at the moment via an Aiport Express and Beresford DAC. Sounds pretty good compared to my ancient (well, twelve year old) Harmon Kardon stereo amp.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
sensei_russ:

I've got my laptop hooked upto the Yamaha for itunes at the moment via an Aiport Express and Beresford DAC. Sounds pretty good compared to my ancient (well, twelve year old) Harmon Kardon stereo amp.

I would set the amplifier to 'pure direct' when listening to music from your laptop. In this case the amp just amplifies the signal i.e applies no sound effects. For best results, If you can, your music should be uncompressed or lossless compressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts