PS3 wireless streaming BBC i player problem

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Before I smash my PS3 to pieces, is there anything that will improve the streaming capabilities specifically via a wireless connection. I'm not able to run a direct cable, so have to use wireless. The problem is that the streaming is gradually getting worse making most programmes almost unwatchable now. It's infuriating to watch a programme only for the screen to freeze and the black and white circle to come up. ARGHH!!!! It's winding me up just thinking about it!!

My partner has had enough and wants to buy a virgin box or something similar. We just can't afford that and freeview gives us enough channels for what we want to watch. I rarely use my PS3 for gaming these days. It's main use is for bluray and BBCi etc.

What are my options?

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a bluray player. Probably Sony or Panasonic. I've done a bit of research, but like everyone, funds are tight.

I've seen on a previous thread that blurays stream well, but does it not depend on whether the set up is wireless or not.

To save our sanity, please help!!!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What about Homeplugs (or similar) ?

Stick one in a plug socket near your PS3 and connect with a short ethernet cable. Put another Homeplug in a socket near your modem/router and connect with another short ethernet cable. (The 2 x 1.2m cables appear to be included in the £30.44 from that link above.)

Or these. (Same principle and similar price.)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if buying different kit would help, sound like it's your wireless that's the problem. Unless, of course, you can stream iplayer properly on other devices like your PC?

It's maybe worth checking to see how many wi-fi signals are competing at your address. Maybe try the router on a different channel to see if that helps.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Assuming it isn't your main internet connection and that you are on Wireless G, another option is to upgrade your wireless to Wireless N standard.

I stream from a NAS connected to my Modem/Router to a WD Live and PS3, and after I upgraded I get no dropouts whatsoever.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
What about Homeplugs (or similar) ?

Stick one in a plug socket near your PS3 and connect with a short ethernet cable. Put another Homeplug in a socket near your modem/router and connect with another short ethernet cable. (The 2 x 1.2m cables appear to be included in the £30.44 from that link above.)

Or these. (Same principle and similar price.)

IMO this is a good idea, it is how we connect our Sony BDP. Any idea what your download speeds are? In our old house speeds around 1.2 Mbps risked iplayer buffering. Back in the city we're consistently well above that. If a wireless connection leaves you down around that level then I would definitely recommend a wired solution, such as homeplugs, which have the added advantage of future flexibility.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for your replies so far.

The homeplugs look interesting.

The reviews seem a bit mixed, but the majority seem to rate it.

The issue seems to be mainly with BBCi to be honest.

The catch up stuff for ITV and C4 seem to stream ok, even though the quality isn't 100% it doesn't keep breaking down.

I've run the internet test on the PS3 and it estimated 2.7 MPS when it recommends a minimum of 2.0, so that seems fine.

I think I've read elsewhere that the PS3 struggles with BBC1. Is this a common theme?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
It's not necessarily the speed of your connection, it's the consistency of it. I have 8mb broadband (measured at 7 on the PS3) and I sometimes had problems with drop-outs when I was using wireless (with both streaming and gaming) so I switched to wired and all is now fine.

Are you using the higher quality/HD iPlayer stream? Does iPlayer stream OK to your PC?

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
It's not necessarily the speed of your connection, it's the consistency of it. I have 8mb broadband (measured at 7 on the PS3) and I sometimes had problems with drop-outs when I was using wireless (with both streaming and gaming) so I switched to wired and all is now fine.

Are you using the higher quality/HD iPlayer stream? Does iPlayer stream OK to your PC?

Unfortunately wired isn't really an option.

I don't have it set to HD as I understand this would make it stream even slower.

The iplayer does seem to stream ok on my computer. I also have the option of changing from normal to lower bandwidth. It isn't brilliant on normal, but certainly better than the PS3. Is this facility available on PS3 iplayer? I don't recall seeing it.

The more I dig, I wonder if it is actually BBCi?

The strange thing is that it has got markedly worse over the last 2-3 weeks.

I know that it's really frustrating me!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts