PS3 vs Oppo BDP 103

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I currently use PS3 (fat) for playing my BDs, DVDs, CDs and other audio/video content from HDD. I have the PS3 connected to Marantz SR 6003, and DALI Ikon 6 home theatre system + velodyne sub + Philips 42'' LCD. It's a decent system and I have generally been happy with the performance of the PS3, however two things are bothering me most:

- Lack of MKV and FLAC support

- Lack of support for subtitle files (srt/sub)

Also the PS3 is getting old, (about 4 years old) so I have started thinking about upgrading to a BDP that will address the above issues. I have never used another dedicated BDP in the past. I have two options, either go for one of the cheaper BD players or go for oppo BDP 103. I don't mind paying extra for quality but I am not sure if the benefits would really justify the investment. I have following questions:

- Would I get better picture quality for BD playback? Some posts on this forum suggest that all BDPs are same in this area, so probably shouldn't expect any improvement over the PS3.

- Would I get significantly better DVD (video) playback? I will be playing more DVD quality videos than BDs.

- Would I get significantly better surround/movie audio?

- Would I get significantly better stereo playback when playing FLAC or lossless WAV files?

I will decide based on the above factors whether to go for Oppo or settle for a cheaper player that can support MKV, FLAC and Subs. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest a cheapish player - like the Panasonic BDT320 (£140) from Richer Sounds (FLAC compatible)

The PQ on my Denon is slightly better than the PS3 - but not that much - just smoother on certain movies - and the SQ seems the same (providing ur ps3 is set to LPCM).

Its another case of diminishing returns the more you spend. I'd just go for a decent cheapish player - and make sure it can play FLAC over DLNA. (some only play FLAC via USB).

That said, the only gripes I had with the PS3 were the noisy fan, and the lack of subtitles (annoying when bits of a film are in foreign language - eg Kill Bill, Red October etc....)

A

Anonymous

Thanks AnotherJoe. Regarding audio quality for music, can I expect audiophile quality music from the oppo as compared to ps3?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
No idea about the Oppo, but the PS3 with the following settings is a decent music player (minus FLAC Support), especially for SACD's.

Settings --> Music Settings --> Bitmapping --> Type 3

Settings --> Music Settings --> Output Frequency --> 44.1/88.2/176.4

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I also own a PS3 (fat) and have had a few dedicated BD players to compare with IMHO where BD playback is concerned the differance between a budget deck and a high end one is marginal at best, BUT there are massive improvements to be gained where DVD is concerned. Again IMHO the PS3 is nowhere near my old Oppo when it comes to DVD playback,like wise my new Panasonic BDT500 is visibly miles ahead of the PS3 with DVD. As for sound I have a oledr non-HDMI amp so the PS3 was hooked uo via the optical out as where the Oppo and Panasonic are hooked up using the multi-channel outputs and the Oppo slightly pips the Panasonic but only with CD playback. I don't use any of the players to play anything from the HDD etc as I personally prefer to use a propper disc.

colinm66

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I sometimes play MKV via my PS3 by streaming files from my PC (running PS3 media player), you can get surround sound, subtitles via this method.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
The oppo has had good feedback regarding audio play back, they have quality components dacs etc.. so for music play back you should not go wrong you could also consider Cambridge Audio this is an excellent player for music...and to throw another spanner the Panasonic-500 has been regarded as a good music player especailly for the money, like anything though try to Dem some players see what you think.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Oppo should perform better than your PS3. Most of the guys here started with PS3's (including myself), and all moved on to a dedicated Bluray player when it was found that they do better the PS3.

I'll be getting my hands on an Oppo 103 next week, and putting it up against my Sony BDP-S5000ES in my own system at home. It'' be an interesting comparison - a top of the range, early generation player up against a modern, better featured player that promises to be a better all rounder.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Are you going to be stocking the Oppo David?

Seems one has to go to the North or London to find a stockist for demo. It would be nice to have someone in the Midlands

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts