PS3 or Dedicated Blu-Ray Player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Juzfonesguv said:
These instructions if you will, are contained on the Blu-ray disc, they do not change, ever. They are exact. No Blu-ray player can change them.

Not entirely true. Ironically, some of the more expensive blu ray players can add unwanted artificial video processing. Most players faithfully reproduce what's on the disc.

Yep, agree.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Juzfonesguv said:
These instructions if you will, are contained on the Blu-ray disc, they do not change, ever. They are exact. No Blu-ray player can change them.

Not entirely true. Ironically, some of the more expensive blu ray players can add unwanted artificial video processing. Most players faithfully reproduce what's on the disc.
Expensive BDP's need to be different in some way :)

The various controls on the TV could probably do the same thing.

A

Anonymous

gel said:
Juzfonesguv said:
OK. Here's a laymans explanation. I hope it helps.

A full HD TV has 1920 pixels across and 1080 down. So, when one has a Blu-ray player connected to such a TV playing a 1080p Blu-ray movie, with no picture overscan, just 1.1 pixel mapping, what is happening?

What's happening is that each individual pixel is being instructed, it's being told exactly what to do, ie, what colour to emit and for how long.

So if you use different BDP's to play the same 1080p Blu-ray movie on the same TV, the results will always be the same, each pixel will always be told to do the same thing for the same amount of time, every single time.

This is why no BDP can have any effect on 1080p image quality.

To be smoother with motion they would need to give different instructions.

To be less grainy, they would need to give different instructions.

To show deeper blacks, they would need to give different instructions.

BDP's are not intelligent, they pass on the instructions from the discs.

These instructions never change, and this is why 1080p image quality is exactly the same between BDP's.

Differences are simply not possible.

Blu-ray players do have different components though, and for example my Pioneer has noise reduction component so it is manipulating the picture different to other Blu-ray players. The result is a different picture. And to take Pioneer as an example again the 91 has a deep colour component, which results in a slighty brighter picture. Some Blu-ray players I have demoed are similar, and I except that the differences are small between each Blu-ray player, but if you notice the small differences, then you are probably going to spend more on a Blu-ray player.

I have found my Pioneer better than Blu-ray players costing twice as much, so each to their own with what picture they like.
There's noise reduction on TV's too, and brightness controls :)

I have to agree to liking Pioneer products though, I've always admired them and longed for a Kuro LX5090. Actually there's one going near me for a thousand Euros with warranty until 2014. I'm very tempted 8)

D

Deleted member 2457

True. Hey, there is a Pioneer 5090 going at the Home Cinema Centre could be worth a call on price.
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

gel said:
True. Hey, there is a Pioneer 5090 going at the Home Cinema Centre could be worth a call on price.
smiley-wink.gif
That's a bit far for me as I'm in Ireland, but thanks for the tip :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
smiley-wink.gif
That's a bit far for me as I'm in Ireland, but thanks for the tip :)

No probs, they do ship them too, I am not sure that far, I have found the GT50 to be very similar in performance to the 5090 too.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
RD said:
Update:

I have got Denon DBT-3313UD and hookep up to my setup.

Not able to feel difference in picuture quality. May because its limitation of Projector, will try to give a close look on TV.

I ran Spirder Man from MAC ( digital copy ), PS3 Fat and DBT-3313UD.

PS3 Fat - Sound output dobly digital

MAC - Sound output dobly digital, slightly better or same as PS3

DBT-3313UD - Denon shows me status True HD sound and there is difference in sound. ~ 10% better sound. Also I ran Netflix on Denon and sound was better than PS3 , ( MAC/PC only does sterio for netflix so no comparision).

Now I am in dielemma if I should try sony BDP 790 as well for comparision.

Why are you using optical for the fat PS3 ? - that wont give u HD sound.

To hear the difference between DD/DTS and Dolby True/DTS HD swap between the following....

Fat PS3 hdmi to amp and bitstream selected - DD/DTS sound

Fat PS3 hdmi to amp and LPCM selected - lossless DolbyTrue/DTS HD sound

A

Anonymous

Update:-

As my PS3 FAT do not send Bitstream to AV I was not getting TrueHD on my Denon 4520.

I borrowed a PS3 Super Slim and it is able to send TrueHD sound to Denon4520, Gues what there is no differene in sound between Denon 3313 and PS3 Slim, 4 of us were listening and 2 feels that PS3 sounds better.

So I am sending my 3313 back to dealer.

What I feel the difference between expensive and budge players are.

- Expensive when paired with right partner removes jitter from sound means sound timming will be more accurate with video.

- The build quality of lens,body, drive etc.

-The circuit used on board to avoid any delay in passing signals.

-The drive itself needs to be very stable ( denon says gravity etc) I feel it is something to keep disc stable while spining.

-Load times.

-So I assume expensive ones will long last and always provides same quality.

Anyway for now I am going with Sony BDP-790 or Songy PS3 Slim ( the super slim is so cheap in build quality,).

A

Anonymous

AnotherJoe said:
Why are you using optical for the fat PS3 ? - that wont give u HD sound.

To hear the difference between DD/DTS and Dolby True/DTS HD swap between the following....

Fat PS3 hdmi to amp and bitstream selected - DD/DTS sound

Fat PS3 hdmi to amp and LPCM selected - lossless DolbyTrue/DTS HD sound

Hi Another Joe,

I am not using optical cable but HDMI.

I am telling you the output I am getting on receiver screen.

As per my understanding we can't bitstream BD on PS3 Fat. Which setting do you recommend, I can re-run the test.

Paul.

You can bitstream Dolby digital and DTS, but you can't bitstream the HD audio formats. Joe was suggesting switching between bitstreaming standard DD and DTS, but letting the PS3 do the encode for the HD audio and transmit as LPCM

A

Anonymous

Thanks, yes that's what I was using. When I ask Denon 4520 to decode it sounds better than PS3 Fat Decode.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts