PS3 or Dedicated Blu-Ray Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have Epson 6000 projector and a samsung 46'" TV in my Home cinema setup.

Currently I have PS3 FAT as BD player and it doesn't bitstream the HD Audio to my receiver so I am looking to upgrade.

Wondering if a dedicated BD player is better than PS3.

From sound point of view I want to bitstream it to AV so BD player is not much involved in sound.

For Video I have heard PS3 is as good as any other Mid range BD player ( cost up to GBP 400).

I have Lovefilm and Netflix subscription but that I can still run on my old PS3 even if I need to go for a dedicated BD player.

Please help to decide.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Set the ps3 to lpcm and it will be outputting lossless hd sound. The only difference is u get the lpcm light on ur amp rather than dtshd/dolbyhd

A

Anonymous

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply, yes I am using LPCM but problem is decodes the HD audio and I loose quality. Also sometime the sound doesn't comes from right speakers if I use lovefilm etc, sometime it runs only in stero mode.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
You can't beat a good Blu-ray player. ;)

A sharper image, a cleaner image, better quality image, better sound and better motion were the advantages of my Pioneer against a PS3.

dav1967

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi RD

I changed from my fat PS3 to the Denon DBP-2012 blu-ray player earlier in the year and the difference was incredible.

There was an improvement in picture quality, but the biggest surprise was the sound, so much more detail.

I now know what they mean by HD master audio.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The sound from my ps3 sounds exactly the same as from my 3313 - except for a slight differnce in output level. have u tried setting the sound to hdmi manually on the ps3 and making sure all the boxes are ticked?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
This always surprises me.

My fat ps3 sounds exactly the same as my Denon-3313 when playing BDs, which is exactly what I would expect as long as you have the correct settings (LPCM, and all LPCM boxes ticked).

As all BD Players use the same HD codecs I would expect them to all sound the same. After all, you are just receiving a stream, and applying an encoding against it. If the output from blu-ray players was not lossless they would not be allowed to have the logos DolbyTrueHD, DTS-HD MA etc on them

(I like to use the opening sequence of Day After Tommorow - where the ice cracks to check the sound).

The only drawbacks for me with the PS3 are the noise from the fan, and it draws about 170W in power

dav1967

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi AnotherJoe

I understand what you are saying, HD sound is HD sound regardless of how its delivered, and before I decided to upgrade to the Denon I believed the same thing, but I can only report what I am hearing and believe me I am hearing a big difference.

So much so that my wife and myself stayed up for hours playing different sections of our blu-ray collection being constantly blown away by the sound.

D

Deleted member 2457

dav1967 said:
Hi AnotherJoe

I understand what you are saying, HD sound is HD sound regardless of how its delivered, and before I decided to upgrade to the Denon I believed the same thing, but I can only report what I am hearing and believe me I am hearing a big difference.

So much so that my wife and myself stayed up for hours playing different sections of our blu-ray collection being constantly blown away by the sound.

Totally agree. And for those who are not hearing a difference you should buy yourself a better system!
smiley-smile.gif

Check every blu ray player review on AV forums, & you will find something similar to this:

A well mastered and transferred Blu-ray will look excellent without any help from backdoor processing and it’s perhaps ironic we can almost best rely on a budget player to deliver the information unfettered. More expensive players tend to have more options for image manipulation and the processing grunt required to do so.

The blu ray player should faithfully reproduce what's on the disc, & not add any processing to it.

RD said:
Hi,

I have Epson 6000 projector and a samsung 46'" TV in my Home cinema setup.

Currently I have PS3 FAT as BD player and it doesn't bitstream the HD Audio to my receiver so I am looking to upgrade.

Wondering if a dedicated BD player is better than PS3.

From sound point of view I want to bitstream it to AV so BD player is not much involved in sound.

For Video I have heard PS3 is as good as any other Mid range BD player ( cost up to GBP 400).

I have Lovefilm and Netflix subscription but that I can still run on my old PS3 even if I need to go for a dedicated BD player.

Please help to decide.

My understanding from your question is that you want a player which can bitstream HD audio. Any budget or mid range blu ray player will satisfy your requirements. Look at Sony S390 / S490 / S790 & Panasonic 220 / 320 / 500.

D

Deleted member 2457

Some Blu-ray players show more grain than others. I am not a fan of a grainy picture.

Check every blu ray player review on AV forums, & you will find something similar to this:

A well mastered and transferred Blu-ray will look excellent without any help from backdoor processing and it’s perhaps ironic we can almost best rely on a budget player to deliver the information unfettered. More expensive players tend to have more options for image manipulation and the processing grunt required to do so.

The blu ray player should faithfully reproduce what's on the disc, & not add any processing to it.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
As Dav1967 says, each of us can only report what we see/hear; I saw little discernable difference in core picture quality when I changed from the PS3 to a dedicated player, but definitely noticed improved motion tracking on 'panning shots', particularly with action scenes - the PS3 seemed to give a slightly juddery image that was absent when viewing the same scene on a dedicated player. In terms of Audio, it was a while ago I made the change but recall thinking the channel seperation seemed better, but that might have just been my brain trying to justify the cost of the upgrade to itself! :grin:.

A

Anonymous

Update:

I have got Denon DBT-3313UD and hookep up to my setup.

Not able to feel difference in picuture quality. May because its limitation of Projector, will try to give a close look on TV.

I ran Spirder Man from MAC ( digital copy ), PS3 Fat and DBT-3313UD.

PS3 Fat - Sound output dobly digital

MAC - Sound output dobly digital, slightly better or same as PS3

DBT-3313UD - Denon shows me status True HD sound and there is difference in sound. ~ 10% better sound. Also I ran Netflix on Denon and sound was better than PS3 , ( MAC/PC only does sterio for netflix so no comparision).

Now I am in dielemma if I should try sony BDP 790 as well for comparision.

D

Deleted member 2457

RD said:
Update:

I have got Denon DBT-3313UD and hookep up to my setup.

Not able to feel difference in picuture quality. May because its limitation of Projector, will try to give a close look on TV.

I ran Spirder Man from MAC ( digital copy ), PS3 Fat and DBT-3313UD.

PS3 Fat - Sound output dobly digital

MAC - Sound output dobly digital, slightly better or same as PS3

DBT-3313UD - Denon shows me status True HD sound and there is difference in sound. ~ 10% better sound. Also I ran Netflix on Denon and sound was better than PS3 , ( MAC/PC only does sterio for netflix so no comparision).

Now I am in dielemma if I should try sony BDP 790 as well for comparision.

If you can demo why not?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Playing BluRays there is no difference between players on sound or picture provided you have the settings correct. Upscaling DVDs on the other hand is at the whim of the device that does the upscaling.

Agree with Another Joe.

The signal into the AV receiver is the same from the PS3 as it is from the most expensive players you can buy.

A

Anonymous

OK. Here's a laymans explanation. I hope it helps.

A full HD TV has 1920 pixels across and 1080 down. So, when one has a Blu-ray player connected to such a TV playing a 1080p Blu-ray movie, with no picture overscan, just 1.1 pixel mapping, what is happening?

What's happening is that each individual pixel is being instructed, it's being told exactly what to do, ie, what colour to emit and for how long.

These instructions if you will, are contained on the Blu-ray disc, they do not change, ever. They are exact. No Blu-ray player can change them.

So if you use different BDP's to play the same 1080p Blu-ray movie on the same TV, the results will always be the same, each pixel will always be told to do the same thing for the same amount of time, every single time.

This is why no BDP can have any effect on 1080p image quality.

To be smoother with motion they would need to give different instructions.

To be less grainy, they would need to give different instructions.

To show deeper blacks, they would need to give different instructions.

BDP's are not intelligent, they pass on the instructions from the discs.

These instructions never change, and this is why 1080p image quality is exactly the same between BDP's.

Differences are simply not possible.

Juzfonesguv said:
These instructions if you will, are contained on the Blu-ray disc, they do not change, ever. They are exact. No Blu-ray player can change them.

Not entirely true. Ironically, some of the more expensive blu ray players can add unwanted artificial video processing. Most players faithfully reproduce what's on the disc.

D

Deleted member 2457

Juzfonesguv said:
OK. Here's a laymans explanation. I hope it helps.

A full HD TV has 1920 pixels across and 1080 down. So, when one has a Blu-ray player connected to such a TV playing a 1080p Blu-ray movie, with no picture overscan, just 1.1 pixel mapping, what is happening?

What's happening is that each individual pixel is being instructed, it's being told exactly what to do, ie, what colour to emit and for how long.

So if you use different BDP's to play the same 1080p Blu-ray movie on the same TV, the results will always be the same, each pixel will always be told to do the same thing for the same amount of time, every single time.

This is why no BDP can have any effect on 1080p image quality.

To be smoother with motion they would need to give different instructions.

To be less grainy, they would need to give different instructions.

To show deeper blacks, they would need to give different instructions.

BDP's are not intelligent, they pass on the instructions from the discs.

These instructions never change, and this is why 1080p image quality is exactly the same between BDP's.

Differences are simply not possible.

Blu-ray players do have different components though, and for example my Pioneer has noise reduction component so it is manipulating the picture different to other Blu-ray players. The result is a different picture. And to take Pioneer as an example again the 91 has a deep colour component, which results in a slighty brighter picture. Some Blu-ray players I have demoed are similar, and I except that the differences are small between each Blu-ray player, but if you notice the small differences, then you are probably going to spend more on a Blu-ray player.

I have found my Pioneer better than Blu-ray players costing twice as much, so each to their own with what picture they like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts