PS3 - Onkyo 605 Sound Probs

fitzyboy2000

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys I know this has been done to death and are all prob fed up with it... I am using the HDMI switching on my amp from the HDMI from PS3, when playing a Blueray disk it comes up on the amp with PCM 5.1 or Multichannel when changing the display options is this correct and the best sound I can get out of my equipment....or is there a better way??

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Yes that is the best that you are going to get from the PS3. PCM 5.1 is HD audio decoded by the PS3 and sent to the amp via HDMI. To get any better, you would need a player that is capable of sending bitstream audio to the amp for decoding, such as the new Pioneer BDP LX70A or the Sony BDP S500. Depending on the quality of your audio system you might notice an improvement in sound quality although it's debatable whether it's worth it for the price.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fitzyboy2000"]Nicely Fuzzy

Know what u mean, the price jump of £450 more to the Pioneer , is it worth that much more??[/quote]

To be honest, it depends on what TV you are feeding the picture to. Personally I feel the only screens that can really take advantage of the increase in picture quality are the Full HD Pioneer Plasmas. If you've spent that much on the best tv, it makes sense that you will want to feed it the best picture source possible. Even if you are lucky enough to own a 50" or 60" Kuro, you'd be smart to hold on for a couple of months until all the manufacturers update their players to meet the new BR profile. As Nads says above, they're still playing catch-up. For most of us, the premium for a Pioneer player isn't worth it. For some of us, it costs more than our tvs. The PS3 does a fine job and on most screens, you won't see much difference between it and the Pioneer.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Basically everything except the new HD audio tracks which you find on BR or HD DVD soundtrack - DDTrueHD, DD+, DTS HRA and DTS HD MA, PCM. Optical will carry all the surround formats you find on DVDs. However, with the PS3, there's no point in using optical if you are hooked up to the amp via HDMI as HDMI will carry everything.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Exactly. I've got a very similar set-up to yourself and I can assure you that you that the PS3 on the Pioneer is brilliant. Also, I don't see a huge benefit to bitstream audio over PCM multichannel, not unless you own a £2000 surround sound system(I can dream ;-)).

PS. I would definitely recommend the D65 Settings for the PS3 on the Pioneer 8G Owners' Thread over at A V forums if you haven't already tried them.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Sorry mate. Got a bit technical there. D65 is an agreed international standard for luminance and colour temperature. It gives the most accurate reproduction of colours and brightness in a typical daylight environment. Not many tvs can produce totally accurate D65. The Pioneer Kuros are among the few that can. The settings have really made me appreciate what an 'accurate' picture is, although they may not be for everyone. Still, they do provide a good starting point for you to do your own calibration. The pure cinema setting should be greyed out when you are feeding the tv a progressive signal as it only applies to interlaced sources.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

Sorry to jump in on your post, but I have a question you may be able to help with????

I also have the PS3 playing through my Onkyo 605, My problem is when I play a blue ray I only receive sound through all speakers at menu? When I play movie I get no sound through my rear speakers??

Can you shed any light? Its a new set up and my first time with a seperate amp I also have Kef 2005.2 speakers on 5.1 not 7.1. I do not have surround side but rear setup?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
When running a 5.1 system, the rear speakers need to be connected to the surround left and right outputs, not the surround back left and right. That should cure your problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts