PS3, Onkyo 605 + Bitstream

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm fairly new to the HD world and i apologise now in case i start rambling. I've got a ps3 linked up to the Onkyo 605 via HDMI and the 605 linked to a hd-ready tv also via hdmi along with a set of Jamo A102 HCS5 speakers. I understand the ps3 can't yet handle DTS HD but i thought it could do Dolby True - but i've read on some posts here that it can't even do that. I've seen some people advsing setting the HDMI Audio Out to bitstream but how do you do that on a ps3? Another problem i have with the ps3 is that I have to set the HDMI output in Sound Settings to Manual. When i have it on Auto it switches the 605 to Multichannel PCM and the rear speakers don't produce any sound. Once it's on manual i just have Dolby 5.1, DTS and a couple of PCM settings selected and then the rear speakers come back to life - but even then the Onkyo doesn't show the Dolby or DTS logos on the display, only PCM. I have no trouble with a Sony RDR-HX510 HDD recorder connected via Optical or a Panasonic DVD-S53 connected via HDMI. The 605 can output Dolby 5.1 and DTS from both with ease. Finally, i tried connecting a Wii via the Game/TV component sockets but i did not get a picture. I tried changing the Component Input for Game/TV to IN1, 2 + 3 in turn but all i could get was sound from IN 3, dispite having the yellow lead plugged in the back. Can anyone help? Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

my understanding is that the PS3 can handle TruHD. It decodes it, then sends to your amp via pcm ALREADY DECODED. The little TruHD light on your amp will not appear as the PS3 has decoded it. Your amp will display something like Multi PCM. The sound you hear will be Tru Hd though. When it comes to normal def sound like DD and DTS set the PS3 to bitstream, it's in a menu setting sound or something. What this does is send the signal to your amp, and the amp the decodes it, so your amp will then have DTS or DD lit up. Remember though, sometimes when watching a BluRay movie with Tru Hd it is not the default soundtrack and you have to rummage around in some menus to select it. The same goes for DTS soundtracks on normal DVD's the default track is usually the Dolby one so a change is needed before you get DTS through to your amp.

The PS3 can't decode DTS HD MA yet it sends a higher bitrate DTS to your amp. You will still see Multi PCM on the amp.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dee

mike aitch

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
to change your hdmi settings from bitstream to linear go into the bd/dvd settings on your ps3,scroll down to the bottom and the settings are there.when the hdmi settings are auto you only get 2 channel pcm,have you tried setting it to manual and ticking all the check boxes?i'm a little puzzled with the leads you're using for the wii connection,you mention a yellow lead,are you sure you're not using composite video/stereo leads?

A

Anonymous

"i'm a little puzzled with the leads you're using for the wii connection,you mention a yellow lead,are you sure you're not using composite video/stereo leads?"

I might be! Sorry, i wasn't sure what they were called. There's a red, white and yellow lead all joined together. What's 'component' in that case?

TRENDING THREADS