PS3 dies again

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
God i'm so lucky, my 5th 60gb ps3 has just died
smiley-cry.gif
& its had less than one months use, 1st time i've tried to turn it on since the network came back online. Oh such joy, i'm so glad Sony make such reliable products, never had these sort of problems with the old Atari 2600, Megadrive, Mastersystem & Snes.

They'll be getting sick of me ringing them up & getting a courier to do the exchanges.

A

Anonymous

Ouch thats no good.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the slims are better quality.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I do have a 320gb slim ( also giving me crap on the GT5 programming, Big thanks to Oldboy who tried to help me out sorting it ) & a now broken 60gb Phat. I want / would like to keep a Phat one 'cos i still play some of the old PS2 games on it occasionally. Me & the better half enjoy the ps2 version of Tiger Woods 2005 golf on it & a couple of other games.

+ I dont think they would replace a Phat with a slim anyway, as it's insured like 4 like on the Continual Play Insurance cover.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
No chance of that i dont want to go backwards with it & use it as a spare for my main 320gb one. Being picked up & exchanged Thursday sorted.

My last PS3 was replaced at the begining of June this year, so they have made a note of it as it's not good even by Sonys standards.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Here we go again the next ps3 dies a death today with a game stuck in it this time. It is going to be replaced under the Sony 3 month warranty & they are going to investigate it more this time, it hasn't even lasted 2 months. What joy!! hopefully the replacement will be here by Tuesday next week. Lucky number 7? we will have to wait & see.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
What the hell do you do to them? ;) I've had an original 60gb for years now with no problems other than it having to be vertical and with space around due to exessive heat build up.

Hopefully you can get them to sort it properly this time!

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
f1only said:
...... not good even by Sonys standards.

You sound really unlucky mate, or maybe I am lucky.

I can only speak as I find but had never had an issue with any Sony equipment - and regard their quality as high. Having owned an original PS3 since 2007 recently traded in for a slim with a bigger harddrive. I have a vaio laptop and various other Sony products from the last couple of decades including, Laptop, CD radio, digital camera, alarm clock, walkman and a TV. from the early 90's. All still perform perfect.

A

Anonymous

Seems really unlucky. I too have one of each. Both running strong.

And the 60GB version is one I wouldn't like to lose. I have a couple of SACDs and like the 4 usb ports...

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
def lugs said:
f1only said:
...... not good even by Sonys standards.

You sound really unlucky mate, or maybe I am lucky.

I can only speak as I find but had never had an issue with any Sony equipment - and regard their quality as high. Having owned an original PS3 since 2007 recently traded in for a slim with a bigger harddrive. I have a vaio laptop and various other Sony products from the last couple of decades including, Laptop, CD radio, digital camera, alarm clock, walkman and a TV. from the early 90's. All still perform perfect.

Hi def lugs

The quote that you have taken is from Sony themselves from when i spoke to them on the phone & not mine. This was said to me over the phone when i rang up in the beginning of August to get another replacement for the one that was replaced in June.

So now Augusts PS3 is being replaced, according to their records this will be my 7th PS3 in total, when it arrives , hopefully Tuesday. This one that has gone back, i am informed by Sony they are going to have a very close look at, as it is unusual for them to break down so quickly, when they are refurbished they are tested thoroughly & if anything is at all suspect they replace it with new parts.

I wondered if Sony has had a bad batch of refurbished consoles & i seem to be getting some of them.
smiley-cry.gif

I have a Sony S380 that i have recently purchased & that has no problems or the previous Sony 363 bd player, it has always been their consoles that seem to have these sort of issues having owned 3 PS1's & 4 PS2's all of which suffered with overheating & laser problems.

Regards ...

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
this will be my 7th PS3 in total,

having owned 3 PS1's & 4 PS2's all of which suffered with overheating & laser problems.

Crikey, you've had 13 faulty consoles, I think you maybe have to consider that it might not all be Sony's fault :)

I bought the PS1, PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 at launch, and they're all still going despite being the supposedly unreliable models (He says, tempting fate!).

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
f1only said:
this will be my 7th PS3 in total,

having owned 3 PS1's & 4 PS2's all of which suffered with overheating & laser problems.

Crikey, you've had 13 faulty consoles, I think you maybe have to consider that it might not all be Sony's fault :)

Hi bigblue235

I'm not saying they are all Sonys fault, far from it. The PS1's were hammered, as were the first 2 or 3 PS2's except the last one ( lasted 4 years ) which then mostly saw dvd duty in a spare bedroom & the laser decided to give up on it about 2 years ago. The 1st ps3 i had yes it got used a lot, but it has gradually been declining since then, as online friends will testify if you look how often i'm on it.

I might get a chance today to go on the spare 320gb but it will be the 1st time in a couple weeks i just dont get the time at the moment, & havn't since the beginning of May.

It is never ever used for playing bluray films, simply because of the issues i had when my 1st ps3 died, a disc stuck in it, & it took about 3 or 4 weeks for Sony to return it, Blockbuster would have had a field day if a movie had been stuck in it on the rental costs.

Regards...

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
No bigboss its kept on an open shelved rack with at least 6" or more of airspace to the side, over 12" behind & nothing in front other than a coffee table about 5ft away.

Minimal voltage fluctuations as it is used on a Tacima & the 320gb one has been fine, so had 2 of the previous ones lasting 18 months.

Regards ..

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Blimey!

You are so unlucky with PS3's mate...i'm wondering if this is some sort of record :D

I haven't had any issues with the 2 ps3s i have had, i traded in my initial fat ps3 for a slim but i did use the fat one for movies for most of the time i owned it (both bluray and dvd) and it never once had an issue despite getting used on a daily basis. My slim hasn't had as much use as i went over to a seperate bluray player shortly before i traded in the fat ps3 and is used just for gaming but it's been great with no issues despite me getting it on release day, i'm always cautious about getting any console on release due to potential issues.

It's not good that a refurb unit would cease to work in such a small ammount of time, you must feel cursed! My ps3 is plugged into my tacima conditioner too so it's definately not that at fault and you have plenty of ventilation so i can't see that it's anything you are doing that's causing this ammount of failures so you must just be one of the most unlucky ps3 owners in the world.....not that it's much consolation to you :cry:

Hope the next replacement serves you well for years to come :pray:

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Nick, damm thing is gettin me down a bit. Anyway it has been replaced today, DPD delivered it this morning, good turnaround i only sent the broken one off last Thursday lunch time.

I'm now in 2 minds oooming & ahhhring whether to sell it, with the 3 month Sony Warranty, 4 or 5 games, a pad & a decent HDMI lead, or keep it. I do have all the original documents & box my first 60gb ps3 came in, so that may bump the price a bit.

Decisions decisions
smiley-undecided.gif

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
We also have a 60gb PS3 and have had it for years with no problem at all, until a few months ago. We got the YLOD, phoned Sony who replaced it a few days later. The replacement lasted 6 weeks, that went back. The replacement did not even switch on, it failed before the driver had gone down the road. Phoned Sony, not happy with them. They assured us the next one would be fine. The one we have now seems ok (touch wood).

All the units are in an open case with lots of ventilation. The one thing we did do with this last one was to fit an external fan to the side of it, and all seems well, up to now.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
No issues with my son's phat PS3 since 2007 but the fan does seem to work overtime, most of the time. On average, I could say it has carried out medium-to-high duties mostly playing games.

Perhaps not completely relevant to most of the problems many posters reported in this thread, but pertinent nonetheless: a year or so ago, I decided to upgrade the original 60 GB HD to 320 GB. At the same time, I gave it a good clean-up inside and out and replaced the thermal paste which helped tremendously. I couldn't believe the amount of dust that had gathered in and around the heat sink! The original paste was rather thin and mostly dried out, one of the reasons for the fan to run like there's no tomorrow. Good news is that it has behaved itself since.

At around the same time, my Toshiba laptop started overheating and shutting itself down, tripping on high CPU temperature. I cleaned it + renewed the paste and it has been keeping very cool after that.

In contrast, my slim PS3 runs relatively cool and the fan hardly ever reaches audible levels (using it for 'light duties').

AVLee

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
having just moved, my ps3 doesnt work anymore, its an old one, the sound is fine through the amp, but the picture output seems to be broken.

the hard drive inside, i would like to put this into another ps3, if i tried this would it just work with another? its just to check if its the hdd thats knackered (though i don't think this is the case) its just a process of elimination!

now i have a couple of options, whilst i want a ps3 again, i also might just settle for a BD Player, prefereably with hd audio output do i can run it into my onkyo 507, and mkv file playback. does anyone have any suggestions? price range is £100, branded or unbranded, it matters not, i just need somethign to entertain me. iplayer would also be a bonus (but not essential;) )

thanks for any help :)

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
AVLee said:
having just moved, my ps3 doesnt work anymore, its an old one, the sound is fine through the amp, but the picture output seems to be broken.

the hard drive inside, i would like to put this into another ps3, if i tried this would it just work with another? its just to check if its the hdd thats knackered (though i don't think this is the case) its just a process of elimination!

now i have a couple of options, whilst i want a ps3 again, i also might just settle for a BD Player, prefereably with hd audio output do i can run it into my onkyo 507, and mkv file playback. does anyone have any suggestions? price range is £100, branded or unbranded, it matters not, i just need somethign to entertain me. iplayer would also be a bonus (but not essential;) )

thanks for any help :)
apparently you cant take out the hard drive and put into another ps3. but you can transfer the data of a working ps3 to another using an ethernet cable. Does the multi av scart connector still work you could use that to check the picture or take it to your local repair shop

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts