PS3 Confusion!

nickers1969

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I have PS3 for playing blu ray movies that look superb!
My audio is sent to my amp via digital optical cable, my amp can accept linear PCM.

Am i hearing HD Audio???

Can anyone clear this up for me (very simply)?

Cheers

Nick

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Thats a question I had too....So

How do we hook up the DAVIS to the PS3 and get HD audio ?
Is it possible ?

My TV is linked to the PS3 via HDMI - Is is then possible to link the TV to the DAVIS10to get HD audio ?

Cheers

Jamie

A

Anonymous

Prof Hat - I have similar question.

Just obtained a PS3 and picking up my Onkyo 875 tomorrow (couldn't justify the extra £300 for the 905
emotion-9.gif
).

I take it that as long as I connect the Amp and PS3 together via HDMI (and ensure the audio is output via PCM and not bitstream), the Onkyo will do the business in terms of HD audio?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
That's right. Use HDMI. Set PS3 to LPCM and you're away. Make use you also set your PS3 sound settings to the various formats supported by your amp. In the case of the 875 that's all of them!

A

Anonymous

PJ PRO - Very many thanks; I'll have a play tomorrow!!!!

nickers1969

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
More confusion!! Can anyone help?
Reading my original question and Clare's response - i now have a new question:
The latest update for my PS3 has added an audio settings option to send LPCM via OPTICAL!
Am i now hearing Hi Def sound?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

All this confuses me.

I have just seen on another forum that although an optical lead cannot handle HD audio in 7.1 it can cope with 5.1 format.

Is this correct ?

Is there anyway of telling if you are receiving HD audio?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Basically, the digital optical cable can't support the new HD Audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio) because it can't handle the bandwidth these formats require. So it doesn't matter if it's 5.1 or 7.1, it can't do it I'm afraid.
What it can do is extract the core mixes from these formats and send them across the digial optical cable - so you're still getting a 5.1 signal, but not the original lossless format stored on the Blu-Ray but a downgraded version of it.

TRENDING THREADS