PS3 CD quality??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've read on the internet the CD quality from the optical out from a PS3 is superb and would probably be a lot better than my £150 cambridge audio cd player.

I've not got a PS3 but I'm tempted to get it to replace my marantz dvd (not hd) and my cambridge audio cd player. I'd connect the optical out to my amp and connect it to my HD tv and network it...

Can anyone shed any advice, it will be greatly appreciated??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I don't know where you heard that but Clare would disaprove -

Clare Newsome

Joined on May 30, 2007
Posts 1,259
Re: Denon 1940 DVD Player Or PS3

I'd stick with the PS3 - I'd say it's slightly better than the Denon with DVDs.

The Denon would trounce the PS3 for music replay, however...

Clare Newsome is Editor of What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision

A

Anonymous

decent dvd player and cd player the ps3 is, i would think it would get trounced by a dedicated cambridge audio cd player. No contest.

A

Anonymous

where did you read this and was there a direct comparison made to a ps3 and a cambridge cd player? i cant understand why anyone that does not actually work for sony or is trying to sell ps3's would make such a comment. optical outputs are usually not as good either compared to co ax.As you have both, why not do a direct comparison and hear for yourself?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've got the aforementioned Denon dvd player and it's cd playback is average (picture excellent). If the PS3 is worse (I won't doubt the editor), then it's claptrap to think that the PS3 would better any cd player, let alone a decent budget model like the CA.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I don't agree. The PS3 is a great device, and excellent for DVD and Blu-ray movies, but CD playback is decidedly average/poor. A dedicated CD player will trounce it, and I'd definitely keep your Cambridge Audio.

A

Anonymous

just read it, and i don't believe it.I don't think it could come near a a £500 sony dedicated player unless its about 20 years old.The reviewer seemed to be getting a bit carried away and i would not lend much weight to that review at all.Do the sound comparison yourself and i bet the cambridge walks all over the PS3.

A

Anonymous

The reviewer needs to get his Sony CDP repaired. Maybe he's using his plasma TV speakers to do the comparison...

matthewpiano

Its complete rubbish. I'm a Sony dealer. The PS3 is great in so many respects, but it isn't a rival for ANY decent dedicated CD player. Sony's own entry level CDP-XE270/370 is better in this respect. The Cambridge Audio or equivalent will leave it for dead. Get the PS3 for stunning games, blu-ray, DVD etc. but not as a CD spinner.

A

Anonymous

My PS3 is not even as good at playing CDs, or SACDs for that matter, as my Sony DVP-NS900V DVD player.

A

Anonymous

There was once a legend, that the PS1 was one of the best ever cd players.....just a legend....

A

Anonymous

I[quote user="richardjlarby"]did it even play CDs? so long ago now.[/quote]

It did yeah! Shame I chucked mine away a couple of months ago....bet they were talking rubbish though because they had that weird connector on the back that had to be plugged into the ariel or something daft. "It produced a far better sound stage than even our £5k system" What 5k system were they using? An Alba portable set-up?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="richardjlarby"]My PS3 is not even as good at playing CDs, or SACDs for that matter, as my Sony DVP-NS900V DVD player.[/quote]

I've heard a slightly modified PS3 - basically with some extra damping on the casework - playing SACDs via one of Sony's ES series receivers in the listening room of the company's 'Chief Distinguished Engineer', Takashi Kanai. Running through B&W 801s, it sounded superb.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, sounds gorgeous. Out of interest, can you recall which ES receiver? Don't think I can afford the 801s, or have the room to house them.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]but could be wrong[/quote] like thats ever happened. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Ok. But ... what about the sound quality if you connect it to a DAC through optical cable?

Just curious....

-f

PS. My DVD/CD player is a Denon 3910.... but my DAC is a Northstar 192.

A

Anonymous

Hello all...

I am not an audiophile but I want to be one day.

I am planning to buy an amplifier to use with my PS3. I think the PS3 is a decent CD Player, Movie Player, DVD and Blu-Ray and a decent media center.

I am searching for an stereo amplifier with a digital input, to connect tha PS3. All stereo amplifier that i have seen don't have this connection.

Can you please tell me some stereo amplifiers with this connection, digital or coaxial digital.

Thanks,

matthewpiano

[quote user="takumi_vng"]
Hello all...

I am not an audiophile but I want to be one day.
[/quote]

Nah. Its not what its cracked up to be. Carry on being a music lover instead - just one that has better and better hi-fi gear to service that music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts