PS3 - Blu Ray

King Goal

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the market for a Blu Ray player and recently heard the price of the PS3 has been dropped to around £200. As I was going to pay around £180 for a Blu Ray Disc player I'm now considering buying the PS3 instead. Can anyone confirm whether the quality of the Blue Ray on the PS3 is worth it or would I be better opting for a Blu Ray player instead. PS3 does appeal to me as I could then play games etc but want to be sure it's worth my while. Also, does the PS3 Blu Ray player upscale DVDs?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you hang on until next week, we'll be publishing an online review of the new PS3 Slim, which compares its Blu-ray and DVD performance (yes; all PS3s play DVDs) with that of the original PS3 and dedicated Blu-ray players (eg its sub-£200 Sony BDP-360 sibling).

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Might be a little late, but any chance you could review the quality of the (apparently new, including HD) PS3 BBC iPlayer widget too?

There seems to be very little news about this online but I found this link (am I allowed to reference another publisher here?
emotion-5.gif
)

This (along with the Blu-ray) would be my buying decision for the PS3... as well as Little Big Planet, of course!

Many thanks!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
stuartmitch:Might be a little late, but any chance you could review the quality of the (apparently new, including HD) PS3 BBC iPlayer widget too?

Ah good news! Hopefully this means it will now work with the Sony remote control rather than having to get the gaming controller out each time!

stuartmitch:as well as Little Big Planet, of course!

emotion-21.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The UK version of the 60GB model did have some backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 games through software emulation, whereas the Japanese and US versions guaranteed it on all titles with a specific hardware emulator. In all markets, software emulation was used in all other models meaning not all games would work, except for the later 40GB, 80GB and 120GB models which also ditched the software emulation.

However, it looks like the 'Slim' version also removes all backwards compatibility according to this, as well as the ability to install Linux on the console.

NB - edited this as the original post had the wrong info - sorry!

A

Anonymous

Happy to be proven wrong - but am pretty sure all PS3 versions (including the Slim) are backwards compatible with the PS1.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Yet another missed trick. I won't get a PS3 until I can play my old PS1 & PS2 games on it.

I know people are gonna say "Why would you want to play cruddy old games, just buy PS3 games". But I like the first 3 Resident Evils, Spartan: Total Warrior, Sniper Elite, etc, etc, too much to give them up.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd just pick up an old PS2, Chris. Just had a look on eBay and they can be had for around a tenner.

Otherwise, your only option is to try and source a 60GB model and hope those games are compatible with it.

APB77

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The ps3 slim is not backwards compatible.

Only Sony (TV) remote controls with the Bravia Link will work on the PS3 slim

I think we've gone slightly off topic here. From what I understand, the old PS3 has come down in price due to the new model, & you want to know if it's worth the price as a blu-ray player & does it upscale DVDs.

PS3 offers a lot more than a standalone blu-ray player. It's a game console, a wireless media player and an internet browser. You can wirelessly play songs & videos from your laptop/PC, & view pictures as well. The 'vidzone' application lets you view music videos for free, if your internet is fast enough. You can surf the internet, including watching youtube etc.

Even as a blu-ray player, it's excellent. It has the fastest loading time (only the Oppo supposedly comes close, & it's twice the price). It's as good as standalone players at the price point in picture quality. The standalone players supposedly offer better audio performance (although I think even the audio is as good as my Panasonic BD60).

The newer PS3 slim can bitstream audio, so it's worthwhile waiting for the review next week before making a purchase. And yes, it's an excellent DVD upscaler.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
bigboss: And yes, it's an excellent DVD upscaler.

Personally I find its DVD capibilites to be average and on par with a £40 Tosh deck I have in the bedroom and not a patch on my Denon DVD3930.

D.J.KRIME:

bigboss: And yes, it's an excellent DVD upscaler.

Personally I find its DVD capibilites to be average and on par with a £40 Tosh deck I have in the bedroom and not a patch on my Denon DVD3930.

I think it's unfair to compare the PS3 to a Denon which is many times expensive. For the price it's very good.

A

Anonymous

Hi....... I have a 60gb PS3 which the laser just burnt out after 23mths!
That apart as an all rounder it was unbeatable. Have bought a Sony 350 (which is noticeably better being able to stream EVERYTHING in HDTM) to replace the Blue ray (film) duties whilst I sort out the 'fit for purpose' issues with Currys.

I do read that the newer 80gb versions are more reliable, and if you want an all round entertainment box complete with wireless connection, big HD to store music and pictures AND play games it has no equal.

I just expect a Sony product to last more than 23mths and to have a 'hold its hands up' free replacement policy in hand if it doesn't

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts