PS3 -> BBC iPlayer

paulyboy233

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, i'm not too sure this has been discussed recently, so here goes....

I'm a big fan of the Beeb's iPlayer and access it through my PS3 Slim (via my Onkyo 807).

My beef is that a) the picture is terrible (nowhere near SD), and b) the sound quality is no good (stereo?)

Obviously i'm doing something wrong as i've read elsewhere on the forums that someone was getting 'near hd' from their iplayer.

Looking at the kit i have, someone must be able to tell me where it's going wrong?

Paul.

I have a PS3 fat and an Onkyo 805, and I also get terrible video (the sound isnt too bad to be fair, but think thats just the AV amp doing the hard work). Even if I click a HD link in iPlayer, it sends me a crappy signal. I always assumed it was a bandwidth issue, throttleing the bit rate back. iPlayer on my PS3 doesnt seem to like pausing and caching data, you only seem to get what comes down the 'tubes'. Lazy kittens in my areas...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I avoid iPlayer on my PS3 like the plague! It's an awful stuttery experience at best and is easily beaten by my Sony S570 blu ray player which delivers high quality SD and HD programmes with ease and is very enjoyable in comparison, even the sound takes a significant leap in quality!

I'm sure it has something to do with the way iPlayer directs you to a PS3 optimised (what a joke!) version of iPlayer rather than the proper iPlayer that's available on so many other devices these days, even when you try to use the internet browser on the PS3 to get the proper iPlayer site you are redirected to the PS3 version....perhaps it's to do with the archaic browser that the PS3 has built in?

Either way it's complete rubbish and best avoided, shame, as it would have been useful for me :cry:

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The new Iplayer app on PS3 is much better.

It replaces the old version (which was just a flash site running in the internet browser making it very slow and juddery), with a dedicated app.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
The new Iplayer app on PS3 is much better.

It replaces the old version (which was just a flash site running in the internet browser making it very slow and juddery), with a dedicated app.

Good news! Many thanks for the info and i will give it a try tonight, fingers crossed it's now watchable....

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Happy days. Clickity

And the best bit...

"Catch-up HD content is available. You can switch to HD either in the programme information page, or within the player. Note, the HD options will only show up if you've connected your PS3 to your TV via a HDMI cable."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts