PS3 and Lossless Audio Formats

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just seen the new PS3 firmware update (2.50), and this still has no support for any lossless audio formats (e.g. FLAC, WMA lossless etc.).

I'm sure I read somewhere (or was told) that it would be in a future firmware update. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this??

The PS3 is an excellent piece of kit and with the new 160GB version (or people who've swapped their original HD for a larger capacity), the ability to store their music in a lossless format would be brilliant.

A

Anonymous

vineetpatel69:
Just seen the new PS3 firmware update (2.50), and this still has no support for any lossless audio formats (e.g. FLAC, WMA lossless etc.).

I'm sure I read somewhere (or was told) that it would be in a future firmware update. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this??

The PS3 is an excellent piece of kit and with the new 160GB version (or people who've swapped their original HD for a larger capacity), the ability to store their music in a lossless format would be brilliant.

ÿ

You can store in WAV format as it stands. FLAC is unlikely by all accounts. In any case the operating system is dreadful for large collections, taking eons to load up large file lists. I personally have Yellowdog Linux installed, and can play FLACs no problem, but then this is a hassle. Or you can use Tversity and transcode from files on a networked PC.

What I would like to see is a decent media application on sale that gives these formats, and at the same time a decent front end for such...Such as media monkey, Helium, Winamp or iTunes(shudder). I bet many people would snap it up.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Here here! come on sony pull your finger out. i ripped some cd's @ 320kbs and they sounded a bit rubbish to be honest, need flac.
Ive got flakey pastry all in my keyboard now, dam pasties!

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:PJPro's thread on the perils and pitfalls is here

Yeah, I saw that (very useful). But not really interested in streaming. Would prefer the PS3 to be a media hub where I could store my entire CD collection (lossless).

A

Anonymous

Me too! ive just seen a 320gb sata2.5" drive on overclockers for £50 and couldnt help but click that big buy button!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
My modded XBox with XBMC plays FLACs from my NAS fine, with no streaming needed. Sound great with D/A handled by my amp. Also does a load of other stuff, including video file playing. All it lacks is HD.

It's a shame there isn't something that will fully replace a 10 year old console plus opensource software, but add HD, at a reasonable price, but there doesn't seem to be.

Was thinking of going the PS3 route, but based on the above I think I'll build a HTPC, with a combo HD DVD and BlueRay drive, and add TV tuners and recording into it as well.

I'm not that bothered about the PS3 games, and while the PS3 sounds good, it also sounds a bit inflexible.

A

Anonymous

I'm also hoping FLAC or Lossless WMA support will be provided in a
future firmware. Like garethwd I bought the 320gb 2.5" HDD from play,
specifically to archive and play my music files without having to keep
swapping round CD's.

Ironically, I've gone the other way to Kinda, I've already got a media PC in the lounge running Vista x32 with a Blu-Ray drive, but it's so much hassle and shear frustration. The PS3 is nice and easy, it boots in around 3-4 seconds and just works! The PC is a pain, Blu-Ray's not yet integrated in media centre meaning separate apps are required to do each task, so there's no seamless interface yet. Also, I never could get blu-ray movies to run as smoothly as the PS3, even though the hardware's only a few years old and well within the required spec. There's also nothing more annoying than windows popping up half way through a movie and stating the windows update requires a system restart, so I set updates to manual only. Then during the next movie windows balloon pops up saying virus definitions updated, it's a never ending circle of frustration, all I'll say is good luck, and personally I don't think PC's, or more specifically the software is ready yet as a media device! The PC's now just an expensive web browser.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts