Protection as a seller on the bay?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

Ignore post. Decided am going to insist upon tracked and signed for delivery rather than cash on collection.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
amormusic said:
Protection as a seller on the bay?

You have none, eBay offer a money back guarantee and in the unfortunate event of having a problem will 99.9% of the time side with the buyer.

amormusic said:
Ignore post. Decided am going to insist upon tracked and signed for delivery rather than cash on collection.

Cash on collection is your safest way to sell on eBay. The buyer can inspect the item before parting with any money. Should they have a problem later on or become awkward it's tough, eBay can't refund them as it's a cash deal. They will generally side with the seller should a dispute arise as the buyer inspects the goods before paying and is not buying blind such as when posting. Obviously never accept PayPal and collection. The downside is you get some right weirdo's around your house ;-)

insider9

amormusic said:

Both are fine. As long as you don't do PayPal on collection. Cash on collection is safer in the way of buyers unable to put in a claim and money being withheld by PayPal.

Offering postage will get you a better price in general.

I would advise caution for any collection as it's only as safe as people invited to your house. Make sure you exchange few emails and perhaps talk to them over the phone. 99.9% of the time all goes well but you only need to be unlucky once.

insider9 said:
amormusic said:
Both are fine. As long as you don't do PayPal on collection. Cash on collection is safer in the way of buyers unable to put in a claim and money being withheld by PayPal.

Offering postage will get you a better price in general.

I would advise caution for any collection as it's only as safe as people invited to your house. Make sure you exchange few emails and perhaps talk to them over the phone. 99.9% of the time all goes well but you only need to be unlucky once.

You could get them to meet the 'man in a white van' in a layby in the middle of nowhere I suppose, but | don't think you'd get many buyers. ;-)

As a matter of interest I thought the whole idea of eBay was that it was tied to Paypal for security. Just how do you go about advertising anything as cash on collection? Does this bypass eBay getting its' cut?

It depends on how you go about the sale Al.As soon as a buyer hits the bin or wins the bidding....you're going to get billed for the fees but some sellers invite buyers by saying "any questions feel free to contact me "a blatant invite for a offer and then arrangements can be made with a buyer to sell out with the site...at your own risk of course.

insider9

eBay actually overcomplicated this whole process. Especially when it comes to Buy Now option. I understand for them it's about revenue protection but makes it difficult for sellers. Right now PayPal is a default option even if you only offer cash on collection (some things are just to expensive/big to post). It really isn't a safe option to use PayPal for collection.

It used to be that you'd press Buy Now button as a commitment to buy and arrange details of payment later. Don't think that's still available. Introduction of PayPal as a default payment option was meant to protect sellers from non payers and guarantee eBay get their cut. In turn what it encourages is deals outside of eBay as people are scared of PayPal "non receipt" claims when offering home collection as there's no proof of postage/delivery. I even had people pulling "non receipt" claims on eBay when I had proof of delivery from a courier.

Yes there is a fair amount of people who abuse this but I would gladly pay a cut for a safer transaction if the system wouldn't discriminate me the seller. That's the main reason I use Gumtree nowadays for collection in person.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
It depends on how you go about the sale Al.As soon as a buyer hits the bin or wins the bidding....you're going to get billed for the fees but some sellers invite buyers by saying "any questions feel free to contact me "a blatant invite for a offer and then arrangements can be made with a buyer to sell out with the site...at your own risk of course.

I see, thanks.

insider9 said:
eBay actually overcomplicated this whole process. Especially when it comes to Buy Now option. I understand for them it's about revenue protection but makes it difficult for sellers. Right now PayPal is a default option even if you only offer cash on collection (some things are just to expensive/big to post). It really isn't a safe option to use PayPal for collection.

It used to be that you'd press Buy Now button as a commitment to buy and arrange details of payment later. Don't think that's still available. Introduction of PayPal as a default payment option was meant to protect sellers from non payers and guarantee eBay get their cut. In turn what it encourages is deals outside of eBay as people are scared of PayPal "non receipt" claims when offering home collection as there's no proof of postage/delivery. I even had people pulling "non receipt" claims on eBay when I had proof of delivery from a courier.

Yes there is a fair amount of people who abuse this but I would gladly pay a cut for a safer transaction if the system wouldn't discriminate me the seller. That's the main reason I use Gumtree nowadays for collection in person.

I see. I assume the use of Gumtree cuts down a bit on your buying clientele, presumably you would lose out on those that would not or could not travel to you to pick things up.

insider9

Al ears said:
I see. I assume the use of Gumtree cuts down a bit on your buying clientele, presumably you would lose out on those that would not or could not travel to you to pick things up.

Yes, it does limit interest. At the same time if you're able to offer local delivery (even at a cost of fuel) you're likely to get a much better price than through eBay.

insider9 said:
Al ears said:

Yes, it does limit interest. At the same time if you're able to offer local delivery (even at a cost of fuel) you're likely to get a much better price than through eBay.

I can see that. Might give it a go next time I try to sell something big like my speakers.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
In the past I have had stuff for sale on both Ebay and Gumtree at the same time, and I have mentioned in the Ebay ad that it is also available on Gumtree at a cheaper price due to no 10% fees. That is useful for potential buyers who want to come and collect and pay cash. The buyer get the goods cheaper and the seller still ends up with the same net amount.

TRENDING THREADS