Proprius

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm . . . scrolling through the net, it would appear the Proprius label is still available . . . I think, but only as CD's??? The vinyl is available as used and very expensive . . . I might be sitting on a few quids worth . . . anyone confirm the 'CD only' status of Proprius? CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Which begs the next question in my mind . . . Where does one go to buy all this 'new vinyl' that is supposed to be being pressed? I'm assuming most is audiophile quality . . . ?

These thoughts are slightly frustrating me at the moment . . . ! With only 200 vinyl LPs, I want to ad to them slowly, otherwise why bother with all the faffing about with TT, arm, cartridge, power supply . . . ? I'm not the 'Audiophile' I was, want to listen, not fiddle.

? . . . leave well alone, enjoy the 200 vinyls as is, trade my Apollo and get a Saturn CDp . . . Sorry, not being negative, just realistic . . . I do enjoy CDs very much, especially the convenience, currently listening to Eva Cassidy 'Wonderful World', typing here with my 'big earphones' on :D

Even move onto high quality down loads . . . ???? I dont like computers . . . I use them because I have to to live in this world :(

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Why not google proprius and CD? That'll give you their website, then you can ask them directly.

Thanks altruistic, logical :doh: e-mail sent, waiting for reply?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Which begs the next question in my mind . . . Where does one go to buy all this 'new vinyl' that is supposed to be being pressed? I'm assuming most is audiophile quality . . . ?

Join in here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/what-vinyl-are-you-listening-to

Almost 1700 contributions about what people are listening to on vinyl. You can share what you are listening to with others and get new ideas about what to try.

If you want to hear samples then download iTunes and you can sample 1.5 minutes of every track (from the millions they sell) completely free of charge before you look where to buy the vinyl album.

Amazon sell heaps of vinyl. Good place to look.

CJSF said:
I'm not the 'Audiophile' I was, want to listen, not fiddle.

Then why your concern about whether all this 'new vinyl' is audiophile quality' ?

CJSF said:
. . . leave well alone, enjoy the 200 vinyls as is, trade my Apollo and get a Saturn CDp . . . Sorry, not being negative, just realistic . . . I do enjoy CDs very much, especially the convenience, currently listening to Eva Cassidy 'Wonderful World', typing here with my 'big earphones' on :D

Even move onto high quality down loads . . . ???? I dont like computers . . . I use them because I have to to live in this world :(

CJSF

Those last couple of paragraphs tell me that you actually need to stop, sit down, and just listen to (and buy) lots and lots of music and stop fretting about wringing the last scintilla of 'audiophile' juice out of what is already, frankly, a better system than 90 percent of the people on this forum own!

Otherwise you will end up forgetting why you bought a system. (To relax and listen to the music and forget about equipment apparently.)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

Join in here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/what-vinyl-are-you-listening-to

Almost 1700 contributions about what people are listening to on vinyl. You can share what you are listening to with others and get new ideas about what to try.

If you want to hear samples then download iTunes and you can sample 1.5 minutes of every track (from the millions they sell) completely free of charge before you look where to buy the vinyl album.

Amazon sell heaps of vinyl. Good place to look.

CJSF said:
I'm not the 'Audiophile' I was, want to listen, not fiddle.

Then why your concern about whether all these 'new' LPs are 'audiophile quality' ?

CJSF said:
. . . leave well alone, enjoy the 200 vinyls as is, trade my Apollo and get a Saturn CDp . . . Sorry, not being negative, just realistic . . . I do enjoy CDs very much, especially the convenience, currently listening to Eva Cassidy 'Wonderful World', typing here with my 'big earphones' on :D

CJSF

That last paragraph tells me that you actually need to stop, sit down, and just listen to (and buy) lots and lots of music and stop fretting about wringing the last scintilla of 'audiophile' juice out of what is already, frankly, a better system than 90 percent of the people on this forum own!

Otherwise you will end up forgetting why you bought a system. (To relax and listen to the music and forget equipment apparently.)

OK Chebby, thanks for the link, . . . and yes I need a kick up the '***' occasionally and yes, you are right, that paragraph actually says stop!!! should I (do I need to) spend £150 on a power supply? Step back and re assess? . . . listen to the music, which is what I am doing at this minute.

I have picked up the TT/PSU for the P5 this morning to asses if I want to (need to) part with my cash . . . I have the shims in the draw to do the VTA. Realistically, I sat down and put some 'CD' music on, the tweaking can wait until tomorrow.

I'm having one of those confusing moments that you picked up on earlier on in the year, head going round and round, where will it stop . . . ? This time I am aware, I think I'm in control, just, and yes, I am enjoying my music as it is:dance:

CJSF

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree that there should be some point we should stop striving for perfection. There is no end to it and one will be addicted.

As long as you are reasonably satisfy with your system, lay back and enjoy your music. I am doing it now :)

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
trade my Apollo and get a Saturn CDp . . .

That’s got to be one of the shortest honeymoon’s with a CDP I’ve heard of on this site. If you got the Saturn, you’d probably want something better? I agree with Chebby, and speaking from experience I always think when you put a mix and match system together it takes a fair bit of time for the components to show their true nature. Personally, I’d never swap anything out of a system until I’ve listened to it for about six months (and listened to a load of music) which gives me time to really decide where (if any) improvements need to be made.

Come back to my original advice about DAC’s. Now that you have a decent disc spinner, that world has opened up to you, and given that so many people are offering kit on a ‘trial or return basis’ it could well open up possibilities that won’t lead to expensive mistakes. Something for you to think about anyway…

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr Morph said:
CJSF said:
trade my Apollo and get a Saturn CDp . . .

That’s got to be one of the shortest honeymoon’s with a CDP I’ve heard of on this site. If you got the Saturn, you’d probably want something better? I agree with Chebby, and speaking from experience I always think when you put a mix and match system together it takes a fair bit of time for the components to show their true nature. Personally, I’d never swap anything out of a system until I’ve listened to it for about six months (and listened to a load of music) which gives me time to really decide where (if any) improvements need to be made.

Come back to my original advice about DAC’s. Now that you have a decent disc spinner, that world has opened up to you, and given that so many people are offering kit on a ‘trial or return basis’ it could well open up possibilities that won’t lead to expensive mistakes. Something for you to think about anyway…

Apollo to Saturn . . . it was posing a question, not stating a fact. I'm listening to Mary Chapen Carpenter at the moment on the Apollo and thoroughly enjoying the performance. I suppose I tend to think out loud, as Chebby picked up, 'stop and listen to music', I've got plenty to listen to!

I'm used to assessing quickly, how a system is performing, just 'very rusty' at knowing what to do, if indeed anything needs or should be don? Things have changed, I'm trying to catch up . . . I have changed, I need to slow down! Fifteen years of not knowing if one is on foot or horseback, coming back to reality takes a bit of getting used to . . . So, as I say, thinking out loud posing questions rather than stating facts, food for thought, nothing more.

The power supply . . . thats the same as TT 'A' or 'B'? and VTA, thats is an adjustment required that I cant ignore. As stated before, then stop and enjoy the music.

I've still got to track down where all these new vinyl pressings are coming from . . . ? CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:

Mmm . . . Had a brief look, seems a bit modern by my standards . . . I know, I'm an old f**t! But I do like some more modern stuff, currently got Chris Rea's 'Auberge' on the CDp. Playing for the first time!!! only ever heard it on the car stereo . . . bit of a revelation, I like it . . . a lot! But then, I am a fan of Chris 'R'.

Mmm . . . Auberge was released in the 90's I think . . . OK, I'm an 'old f**t'. :?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from a visit to a friend in the trade who has a record cleaning machine. I have an original copy of 'Jazz at the Pawnshop' that had got marked with silicone fluid in about 1987 . . . never played that copy since. However the kind friend gave it a whizz on his 'clean machine', we played a modern 'heavy gauge' copy of 'JPS', then we tried my cleaned, standard thickness original, it out performed the new thicker copy!

I'm a happy bunny . . . CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts