Propper speakers size

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for a new pair of speakers and the room size is 5,00 x 3,50 mts. A B&W 684 is too big?, should I go for the 685? My musical taste is wide open, Progressive Rock (as you can check with my avatar), Jazz, Classical, Electronic, etc. There is a rule about this?

A

Anonymous

Hey Freddy, I like the Marillion Misplaced Childhood photo! Good choice!

A

Anonymous

Hmmm....I always prefered floorstanders. I have some 684 size floorstanders in my room which is about 8ft by 13ft and the speakers are on the 13ft wall and I sit about 6 ft away...but that's how I like it. With what you listen to, you wouldn't really need the 684s - but if you can, do. You should spend about £80 on stands anyway, so the price difference is only about £200. It's a hard decision. You should get a demo and see which suits your music best - you might be able to get a home demo so then you'll be able to test if they are too big - which, in all honesty, I doubt.

A

Anonymous

If the room is not overloaded with stuff like bed and chair, floorstanders. A room that size demands it.

matthewpiano

I'd say good floorstanders. I'm just running my first pair of floorstanders in having only ever had small speakers in the past and the advantages of larger cabinet size are already very apparent. If placed properly the bass extends lower than stand-mounts but, at the same time, is much more natural and not boomy like stand-mounts can be. Orchestral music really benefits from the larger speakers which seem to be far more capable in terms of soundstaging and conveying the tonal qualities of instruments. I felt the sound to be far more natural with Richard Thompson's 'Front Parlour Ballads' album as well. I feel like I'm really starting to hear the best from my amplification now and, most importantly of all, I'm simply enjoying the music. Listening to Arrau's recording of the Grieg Piano Concerto at the moment. Its a recording I've had for about 15 years and I've never heard it sound so good. The piano really benefits from the larger speakers and every single instrument can be picked out and followed although within a completely cohesive whole.

A

Anonymous

The full bandwidth that large wood floorstanders give can come at the expense of speed and a really good 3d soundstage.Certainly the likes of the mon audio RS5's and 6's have more weight than the RS1 but they sound slower, which is ok if you don't mind that, but compare one straight after the other and the floorstanders sound a little pedestrian. The large wood cabinet down to the floor can also get in the way of a good front to back and side to side soundstage.I think a really good standmount makes for a more enjoyable listen than a floorstander.Just personal preference though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Hey Freddy, I like the Marillion Misplaced Childhood photo! Good choice![/quote]

Thanks, IMHO the illustrations of the Fish period are unbeatable.

matthewpiano

[quote user="Fraziel"]The full bandwidth that large wood floorstanders give can come at the expense of speed and a really good 3d soundstage.Certainly the likes of the mon audio RS5's and 6's have more weight than the RS1 but they sound slower, which is ok if you don't mind that, but compare one straight after the other and the floorstanders sound a little pedestrian. The large wood cabinet down to the floor can also get in the way of a good front to back and side to side soundstage.I think a really good standmount makes for a more enjoyable listen than a floorstander.Just personal preference though.[/quote]

I agree Fraziel - this is a very personal issue and I think everyone should hear both standmount and floorstanding speakers to decide for themselves. I must admit, I've not noticed any problems with imaging from my Diamond 8.3s I've got Phillipe Herrewghe's wonderful recording of the Mozart Requiem on as we speak and it sounds like the choir and orchestra are set out in front of me. The extra depth of the floorstanders also means that the lower voices are far less smudged than with stand mounted speakers and there is a more natural and life-like feel to the presentation.
I completely agree about the Fish era illustrations. I think that was when Marillion made their best music as well. Both 'Misplaced Childhood' and 'Script for a Jester's Tear' are amongst my favourite albums. He knows you know....

A

Anonymous

To decide between floorstanders or stand mounted speakers is a personal taste issue or a "rule" about the room size?, I really like the resonance of a deep bass, but I don't want to boost the room out. (sorry if my english is no too good)

matthewpiano

Hey you speak/type English much better than I do any foreign language. Don't apologise - you do very well!!
Its true that floorstanders need more room to breathe although I've actually found the Diamond 8.3+ LESS boomy fairly close to the rear wall than the standmount Mordaunt-Short. Its probably because they are front rather than rear ported, so that is also an issue worth considering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts