Proposed FM switch off. Fact or fiction?

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I have seen one or two posts recently, debating whether or not to invest in expensive FM tuners.

Some sites suggest that the proposed switch off is unlikely to happen in 2015 and is a bit if a pipe dream.

Does anybody out there have an informed opinion about this?

One interesting site I came across is this one which debates the issue, as well as discussing the implementation of DAB radio in the UK. There is also a wealth of technical info on that site - it's well worth a read.

Given the vast amount of FM radio receivers (an estimated 120 - 150 million) around the UK - which would become virtually (if not totally) worthless in a very short time - how popular would this really be with the population at large?

If the turn off did go ahead, would there be an explosion in the sales of DAB adaptors for cars?

And of more interest to those on this forum - are the issues of sound quality - which do you think sounds best? FM or DAB?

One can't help but feel that the sale of the FM band (once released form broadcast duties) is more important to the governing bodies than the consumer is. I'm guessing it's sure to be sold off for other purposes eventually, just like mobile phone bands have been sold (for huge sums) in previous years.

Tony.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The proposal is fact, but there's no discussion of an actual FM switch-off. What's proposed is that national and current local stations would become DAB-only, allowing other stations only on AM to move up to FM, and the creation of a whole network of new ultra-local stations.

Whether the criteria for the start of the digital switchover process set out in the Digital Britain report will be met by the suggested end of 2013 date is an entirely different matter...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
The proposal is fact, but there's no discussion of an actual FM switch-off. What's proposed is that national and current local stations would become DAB-only, allowing other stations only on AM to move up to FM, and the creation of a whole network of new ultra-local stations.

Whether the criteria for the start of the digital switchover process set out in the Digital Britain report will be met by the suggested end of 2013 date is an entirely different matter...

The only criteria that will matter is what is in it personally for the politicians. They have not even heard of DAB+ (which is being used in some countries already) and would not care less even if anyone were capable of getting a minister to understand the difference.

DAB is a bad joke and even the BBC is trying to distance itself from the technical awfulness of it. They don't even want the 2015 FM- DAB switchover to happen because everyone is going to blame them for what follows after the politically imposed 'cut n run' and expect them to fix the unfixable.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's presuming, of course, that the BBC exists in anything like its present form by 2015, after Cameron and Co get their hands on it
emotion-40.gif

T

the record spot

Personally, I think it's about time this site went the whole hog and had the words to 'The Internationale' scrolling round the top somewhere...!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Sorry for being a 'orrible cynic - it's just another way for the those in the echelons of Whithall to extract more money (or a tax in disguise), pledging to help the old and needy. What in the real world does HELP mean?

I don't think anyone in 'Whitehall' could get away with justifying it on the grounds of helping the 'old and needy'.

The old/needy (or anyone) would have to replace every non DAB equipped radio at great expense. (DAB radios are significantly more expensive.)

A DAB radio will use much more energy compared to an equivalent FM radio. (More batteries/higher bills).

Unlike television (with cheap digital set-top boxes available everywhere), there are no such equivalent 'convertors' for DAB so every FM/AM radio ever made will have to be scrapped (even the brand-new ones still on sale and those in almost every vehicle.)

'Marginal' reception on FM can still result in a listenable signal whereas marginal reception on DAB is completely unlistenable.

No, the only 'justification' I have seen so far is that DAB is digital. Digital is always better so what more do we want?

Being kind to them for a moment, the politicians might just be stupid enough to think they are doing us a favour with DAB! (It might not actually be some huge scam.)

If not stupidity and if not a scam then please can the media experts on WHF tell me what it really is? (I think we are agreed it's not progress.)

Across the road there's sheltered housing for OAP's and disabled and they recently had freeview boxes fitted to each television. Surprise surprise, they all had letters to effect that the maintenance costs would rise, therefore, unfortunately, this would have a knock-on effect with regional council tax rises.

This may be a coincidence, although I suspect there's someone playing with the figures. We, on the other hand, haven't received any correspondance regarding council taxes for ages, with the subject of Digital coming up again on the forum makes you wonder.....

matthewpiano

Quality seems to be far from the minds of those with the power. Freeview is mostly very poor and it is only because the processing in TVs has become so efficient that it is really watchable at all.

DAB just isn't a patch on FM. There is just no need to make this change. We don't need MORE stations, we just need higher quality content on those we have - a return to DJs being DJs. BBC R3 and R4 lead the way with excellent programming, and presenters who actually have expertise in the relevant music/news/literature/drama. Far too many other stations cycle the same limited numbers of songs day in day out with fairly inane chat between them. A great deal of radio has lost its passion, and that, far more than a more convoluted digital service, is what radio needs.

Finally, if the BBC does fall into the hands of Cameron & Co. and they break it up, the last mainstream sanctuaries of intelligent thinking, in-depth exploration of the arts, and cultural celebration will, I fear, be lost. Radio 3, Radio 4, The Proms, Young Musician of the Year, Cardiff Singer of the World..... Will it all survive?

Its frightening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts