Proper HDR content finally!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Since I first got my js8500 I have tried HDR content on Amazon but was extremely disappointed.. Looked no different at all. Entire season of red oaks (ended up enjoying it a lot though) 3 episodes of Mozart in the jungle. And some clips of Bosch and transparent to no avail. I was about to give up so I tried season 2 of Mozart and wasn't much better. Stopped and played the new popular series the man in the high castle it is amazing in HDR images so life-like and the brightness! For 600 nits it can go quite bright. Tried the same 10 mins in 1080p SDR and was no comparison its night and day. I had the smile on my face like when I first heard a subwoofer in my demo at superfi. I can't wait to start the series properly tomorrow

Glad this is HDR and not that fake stuff we have been having. Bring on uhd blu rays! Can only look better and be better executed. Highly recommend so far.

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
Since I first got my js8500 I have tried HDR content on Amazon but was extremely disappointed.. Looked no different at all. Entire season of red oaks (ended up enjoying it a lot though) 3 episodes of Mozart in the jungle. And some clips of Bosch and transparent to no avail. I was about to give up so I tried season 2 of Mozart and wasn't much better. Stopped and played the new popular series the man in the high castle it is amazing in HDR images so life-like and the brightness! For 600 nits it can go quite bright. Tried the same 10 mins in 1080p SDR and was no comparison its night and day. I had the smile on my face like when I first heard a subwoofer in my demo at superfi. I can't wait to start the series properly tomorrow

Glad this is HDR and not that fake stuff we have been having. Bring on uhd blu rays! Can only look better and be better executed. Highly recommend so far.
Nice one!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think its all in the mastering quality same as everything and be about 4 years before HDR is anything like being fully utilised if the studios stick with it.

My thought process is Movies are made for the cinema and projectors are going to struggle to do HDR to a simialr effect to a TV.

That makes it an exclusively home based content source such as box sets until commercial projectors catch up. How long will that take and will it have the onions to get there?

Interesting one

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I think its all in the mastering quality same as everything and be about 4 years before HDR is anything like being fully utilised if the studios stick with it.

My thought process is Movies are made for the cinema and projectors are going to struggle to do HDR to a simialr effect to a TV.

That makes it an exclusively home based content source such as box sets until commercial projectors catch up.  How long will that take and will it have the onions to get there?

Interesting one 

I can't see why at least IMAX projectors can't do HDR at a reasonable level. while watching spectre in the cinema near the end there was a white bright scene looked around 1000 nits or so I'm sure they can do HDR if they can have an image of that brightness on screen. I wouldn't know though..its silly how soon the film will look better in our homes than in the cinema. Kina defeats the object of going to the cinema for the best experience.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hdr is not about peak brightness it's about the Contrast between peak brightness and darkness in the same frame so that when they increase the brightness of the frame it doesn't wash out the image.

That's my understanding.

Cinemas using dual pj probably got a better chance at it but it depends on mastering again.

This yrs home pj's do do it but
No solid feedback on the performance

TRENDING THREADS