Projectors: info and general chat

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have a room about 4m x 4m but its upstairs in a bungalow so it has a pitched roof, because of this the biggest picture size I could get away with without it being on the floor is 50-60 inch, what I was wondering was if its worth it? or would it be over kill and I wouldn't see the benefit? I’d be looking at an Infocus IN80. Also are they practical for use in the day or not? do you have to have the room completely blacked out?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As I evangelised about in this blog earlier this week, projectors are now far more flexible than they used to be. You can get some cracking 60in screens, and the IN80 is a corker: you'll get a superb HD picture for far less than you'd pay for the plasma/LCD equivalent....

A

Anonymous

As i said i was looking into a IN80 but have read about something called the 'rainbow effect' and that worries me a little, how much of a problem it it? would it be a problem with the IN80? is it just cheaper end that suffer with it? is it only DLP projectors that suffer with it?

Could you recommend a non DLP below 2k thats upto the same level or better.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Villain2100:
As i said i was looking into a IN80 but have read about something called the 'rainbow effect' and that worries me a little, how much of a problem it it? would it be a problem with the IN80? is it just cheaper end that suffer with it? is it only DLP projectors that suffer with it?

The rainbow effect is viewer dependant, some see it some don't, the only way is to demo pj's.
I've got an LCD Sanyo Z2000 which can be had for around a grand and can't recommend it enough. The new models should be out soon and should also be cracking.

One thing that seems to take a backseat with dlp reviews is the sometimes severe lack of placement flexibility, no such problems with mine.

A

Anonymous

Villain2100:

Does any of the WHF team have any inputs on this and recommend any alternatives.

A

Anonymous

Do not buy a DLP without demoing one first.....I did and had to sell it i felt quite nausious waching it, flashes of bright colours ever few seconds but the wife had no problems at all!!! Thing is i think that DLP is the better value for money option if you dont suffer from the rainbow effect(and most dont). Otherwise the picture was great, sharp ,good contrast super motion handle ing...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Villain2100:Villain2100:

Does any of the WHF team have any inputs on this and recommend any alternatives.

Panasonic's LCD-based projector line-up have been very impressive, with little of the 'lattice' effect some LCD projectors/viewers can suffer from (again ,there are as many people who seem to notice the LCD lattice as do the DLP rainbow effect!).

And at the higher end of the market, JVC's D-ILA projectors have also been mightily impressive - see also Sony and Marantz models using the same technology.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
If you're worried about DLP rainbow effect, maybe have a look at Sony's SXRD-based VPL-HW10.

It seems to be getting a lot of favourable feedback, and is very much in your price range.

A

Anonymous

Do you have any advice on buying a screen, was looking at a 72" Panoview are they any good ? they come in a matt white material or a greywolf material supposedly for a lighter room. Which is the best choice if your going to be using in a light room in the day and dark ay night?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I cant vouch for your screen - we have plenty of success with the range from Beamax though and they dont break the bank. If you are worried about the rainbow effect then I can not recommend the Sony VPL-HW10 and Panasonic PTAE3000 projecotrs highly enough. The Sony comes with a free bulb or Bluray player and is just over your budget. Both projectors are bright with good black levels. I would opt for a white screen.

A

Anonymous

Whilst ive got this thread going i'd also like some input on HDMI cables, as i'll need a length of 10-15m i was looking at the QED HDMI-P, Van Den Hul HDMI Flat, or Chord silver plus, are these good choices over these lengths.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:And at the higher end of the market, JVC's D-ILA projectors have also been mightily impressive - see also Sony and Marantz models using the same technology.

What Marantz projector product uses LCOS technology ?

Marantz use DLP in their current products and have never used LCOS (D-ILA or SXRD) that I know of.

Das

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Sorry, meant Meridian.... Too many Ms.

Thanks.

The Meridian, Pioneer and Cineversum models are rebadged versions of the JVC.

Das

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts