Projector for bright living room?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Which projectors are bright enough to be suitable for a well lit living room with windows?

Most projectors nowadays are bright enough for most living rooms. Ever since 3D was introduced, the light output has increased, initially due to needing more output because of 3D glasses. Some have got brighter since. Choosing the right screen is more important...

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
there is a brand new surface available now which is the worlds first ambient reflective acoustically transparent screen, i`ve had it here and my own demo one is on order, infact it should have been here 2 weeks ago and I have to say it looked superb

it was shown against both an AT matt white screen and Drapers ReAct 2.1 and it was visibly better we all thought in every way possible

it comes at a price but you get what you pay for as i`m sure you know this already

its not going to be sold online at all and dealer restriction is in place so they are being very choosy who has it

once you have seen this or the ReAct surface in action, I promise you for your type of room enviroment you will not choose anything else and you certainly won`t choose a white screen unless budget demands it

T

theflyingwasp

Yeah me too!

I don't envy you trying to choose kit at the moment .

4k or not 4k

curved screen ,flat screen or projector

hdmi 2.0

or flagship 1080p TV

i feel 2014 is just a limbo year I might be easier choosing stuff by the end of next year .hopefully by then super duper big 4k screens will have dropped in price ,4k OLED might be affordable and 4k Blu ray players will be out with hdmi 2.0.

T

theflyingwasp

I think a big downside to many people was the fact that projectors performed best in blackout conditions.these new ones with the special screen have got my wheels turning I couldn't care how I watch TV or sport but for me films is the big incentive to go for this type of screen .I will be able to watch films during the day without having to draw the curtains and with summer just around the corner I could be on too a winner here!

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Im in a similar situation, moving in to my new house in a month or two, going to convert the garage but it is only 7 and a half feet wide.

Was thinking of selling my Monitor Audio RX fronts and centre , buying in walls and having a transparent screen!!

Trouble is , i have no idea wether this would be an improvement , or should i get a draper react 2 and keep what i have ??

Back from the demo. I compared Sony HW55 and Epson 9200W on a Draper ReAct screen.

I was astounded by the crystal clear blu ray and HD channel quality, and a perfectly watchable SD (including Gold, which I think can struggle with decent SD images)! I can easily see using a projector exclusively for all TV viewing. :)

Epson is a bit brighter, and struggles with blacks and motion. Sony was superb in both these departments! I did not test JVC as it isn't bright enough for TV viewing in a bright room. And I did not test 3D.

I'm more or less decided on the Sony, the HW40 which on paper, will offer similar performance as the HW55 at a much lower price. I don't see much sense in spending more than that, with 4K round the corner (that's what I would recommend to Duaplex as well).

Have some practical issues though. Where will the centre speaker go (as the projector screen will be installed above the fireplace)? ReAct isn't acoustically transparent. Draper does make an acoustically transparent version, but that's 3 times the cost.

What about ceiling speakers for centre? Anyone tried it?

I think I've found the perfect compromise! :clap:

kef_ci3-80qt_2.jpg

Ci3-80QT_header.jpg

ci3-80qt-2.jpg

In my opinion, currently, there's no 4K content, so a 4K projector at this stage will only be used for upscaling 1080p. When there's enough 4K content, you can get similar or better performance of the current Sony 4K projector at less than half the price.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just saw it!

Thank you for that Boss!

I better start asking about projectors that will work with the 3m wide screen I plan to install. Apparently the Sony HW55 would not be as good on that size screen. So it leaves me with the X500 JVC maybe?

I will ask around and report back too :)

I think the screen I demoed on was 3m wide, and it looked perfect to me. Allan (Ideal AV) did mention that I could go much wider. Best is to demo. JVC has deeper blacks. Look at outgoing X55, for a bargain £3199 at Richer Sounds.

Hi Spek has it for £2299:

http://www.hispek.com/panasonic/lcd-projectors/clearance-panasonic-ptat6000-full-hd-3d-projector-pt-at6000e-plus-get-2-free-pairs-of-tyew3d3me-3d-glasses-pd-14903.php

RGB Direct has it for £100 more. Peter Tyson may be able to price match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts