project the classic

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi everyone, just wondered if many people have heard the new project classic and what they thought, plus how it compares to the clearaudio concept

audioaddict said:
hi everyone, just wondered if many people have heard the new project classic and what they thought, plus how it compares to the clearaudio concept

I have not heard the Classic yet but as the Clearaudio is £200 dearer I know which I would go for. Spend the £200 saved on a decent cartridge and slap it on the Classic and it's got to beat a standard Concept.

However, I guess, as usual in this price range, it's pretty much going to come down to which you like the look of most.

I'd also add a dust cover to the Concept so that's going to push it's total cost even higher.

Both decks are obviously competent with decent tonearms so mostly sound quality is going to be down to the cartridge fitted.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow hadn't seen this so far. Saw it and thought it looked really interesting until I read this on Henley's website:

Pro-Ject said:
The two-plinth design clearly tips its hat to the iconic Linn and Thorens designs of the 1960's and 70's, but its implementation is far more modern and user-friendly, replacing the complicated "suspended" systems with a "floating" platter that nestles on TPE isolation blobs

See I read that as "we took a system which has been proven to work well for 50 years and figured out a way of making something a bit like it but ultimately not like it because we couldn't afford to make a true floating subchassis turntable for £799". Arm looks decent and I'll give you that overall the deck looks bob-on.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
If it sounds as good as it looks it'll be awsome for the money.

Certainly has the looks, but I guess I would think that. Young person wanting a modern contemporary-looking deck might say it looks a bit too much like something their grandad would have bought in 1973.

MajorFubar said:
plastic penguin said:
If it sounds as good as it looks it'll be awsome for the money.

Certainly has the looks, but I guess I would think that. Young person wanting a modern contemporary-looking deck might say it looks a bit too much like something their grandad would have bought in 1973.

If you are just about to start your journey into vinyl what's wrong with a bit of retro chic?

Course you could buy that nice new design known as the Michell Gyro and even newer Technics SL1200GAE. ;-)

At least two come with a dustcover.

matthewpiano

I saw and heard it at the National Audio Show last weekend, partnered with Pro-ject's Box Designs DS-Series amplification and Opera Callas standmounters.

Looks-wise I think it's far more attractive than the boring Rega designs. For me, a turntable needs to look and feel special and, for £799, Pro-ject have done a great job, not only because it is visually redolent of the classic Thorens/Linn look, but also because it looks and feels good quality too.

The deck I heard had an Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge on it, and it sounded beautiful. I'm planning on selling my RP3 when I get round to it, and putting the money towards the Classic. It probably won't be much of an upgrade, but for ownership satisfaction it is in a different ball-park for me.

matthewpiano said:
I saw and heard it at the National Audio Show last weekend, partnered with Pro-ject's Box Designs DS-Series amplification and Opera Callas standmounters.

Looks-wise I think it's far more attractive than the boring Rega designs. For me, a turntable needs to look and feel special and, for £799, Pro-ject have done a great job, not only because it is visually redolent of the classic Thorens/Linn look, but also because it looks and feels good quality too.

The deck I heard had an Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge on it, and it sounded beautiful. I'm planning on selling my RP3 when I get round to it, and putting the money towards the Classic. It probably won't be much of an upgrade, but for ownership satisfaction it is in a different ball-park for me.

It certainly loo the business, well to me anyway, I like the retro Linn look.

Having owned several Regas it is certainly a different approach on the designers front that will appeal to some and not others but for the money it's a brilliant

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
It probably won't be much of an upgrade, but for ownership satisfaction it is in a different ball-park for me.

There's an awful lot in that. You'll never hear me comment on the current crop of Regas and such because I haven't heard them. There's every possibility any one or all of them could out perform my old TD. But I can't get excited about something that looks like a veneered slab of wood with everything nailed to it.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
You might be interested to know (you might already know?) that Hi-Fi Choice are reviewing The Classic in next months issue - out 6th Oct.

I think I must be odd (I'm sure I've said this before) but I really like Rega turntables, although I think I'd prefer a Pro-Ject 6 PerspeX, not that I've got any intention of buying one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I understand MF's point, but some people prefer the slim profile and neat look of the Rega decks - and that's before you even get to sound quality. Others want something to show for their money, whether it is something skeletal like the Michell Gyro SE, or a big chunk of wood like an LP12. The Project Classic does give that "look" for the masses at an attainable price that you'd otherwise have to spend thousands on, or buy something older than your grandmother.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the points about the Rega being sleek and classy, my old Planar 3 was a real revolution when it came out in the 80's as all we had were the bulky Thorens and other similar construction decks. I looked at the Project Classic at my local Hi Fi shop and although sold as a retro style deck, its really not that bulky. I have been considering replacing my old Planar 3 because I refuse to spend any more money on it with upgrades etc, to me that's money wasted, possibly with the exception of a cartridge upgrade. However staying with slim and sleek, I love the Analogue Works Zero deck, with a plinth made from high quality Birch Ply not MDF and has a stand alone motor totally isolated from the plinth, OK you don't get an arm, but you then have the choice of second hand or new from a variety of sources, such as Rega or Origin Live to name just 2, the OL Bronze arm would be my choice to keep costs down.

The Project Classic is a great deck and gets good reviews but if you want a modern, sleek, high quality componants deck and made in Britain check out Analogue Works

Pete

Chris Munden said:
I agree with the points about the Rega being sleek and classy, my old Planar 3 was a real revolution when it came out in the 80's as all we had were the bulky Thorens and other similar construction decks. I looked at the Project Classic at my local Hi Fi shop and although sold as a retro style deck, its really not that bulky. I have been considering replacing my old Planar 3 because I refuse to spend any more money on it with upgrades etc, to me that's money wasted, possibly with the exception of a cartridge upgrade. However staying with slim and sleek, I love the Analogue Works Zero deck, with a plinth made from high quality Birch Ply not MDF and has a stand alone motor totally isolated from the plinth, OK you don't get an arm, but you then have the choice of second hand or new from a variety of sources, such as Rega or Origin Live to name just 2, the OL Bronze arm would be my choice to keep costs down.

The Project Classic is a great deck and gets good reviews but if you want a modern, sleek, high quality componants deck and made in Britain check out Analogue Works

Pete

Never heard of the OL Bronze, is it new?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i guess it caught my eye due its looks and build and thought if i went back to belt drive it would have to be something substantial..........if not i,ll have to sell my car and get a new technics 1200
confused_smile.gif

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i guess it caught my eye due its looks and build and thought if i went back to belt drive it would have to be something substantial..........if not i,ll have to sell my car and get a new technics 1200
confused_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts