Problems with Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6

bunderson

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody else found issues with the SM6? I'm on my second unit already and this one is now starting to do weird things.

The first unit was returned due to no audio being output, turning off and on again fixed this most of the time. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 goes.

Richer sounds replaced this.

This unit is now refusing to play any audio files from my network drive. It also only plays songs inside a folder in alphabetical order, completely different to how they are organised and tagged in the actual network folder themselves. CA advised this is a network drive issue and not the player? I don't see how as it is a fully compatible DLNA drive (WD my book live).

I've also had outstanding tickets with their support line that have been left unanswered.

Quite annoying when you've spent £600 on a product that is clearly faulty. Looks like another trip back to Richer Sounds but this time for my money back.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problems, perhaps a refund and a switch to the Pioneer N-50? In CA's defence though, I've been running for the past 16 months two Stream Magic 6s in different rooms and have had no problems at all.

John Duncan

bunderson said:
Has anybody else found issues with the SM6? I'm on my second unit already and this one is now starting to do weird things.

The first unit was returned due to no audio being output, turning off and on again fixed this most of the time. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 goes.

Richer sounds replaced this.

This unit is now refusing to play any audio files from my network drive. It also only plays songs inside a folder in alphabetical order, completely different to how they are organised and tagged in the actual network folder themselves. CA advised this is a network drive issue and not the player? I don't see how as it is a fully compatible DLNA drive (WD my book live).

I've also had outstanding tickets with their support line that have been left unanswered.

Quite annoying when you've spent £600 on a product that is clearly faulty. Looks like another trip back to Richer Sounds but this time for my money back.

I'm sorry to hear about that too, especially since I was involved in beta testing it (and continue to do so with firmware upgrades etc). I think that if you're using your network drive purely as external storage, it's acting like a computer and will order files in alphabetical order - it sounds as if you're not using the WD drive as a DLNA server at all (which would give you what you're looking for in terms of ordering as well as other advantages).

When you play music, what steps do you go through on the SM6 in terms of input selection and choosing music? Also, are you using the control app on a mobile device or are you using the SM remote?

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry that you are continuing to have issues with the Stream Magic 6 and the My Book Live.

As John points out, the Stream Magic can only show information as it is rendered. If the information shows alphabetically, this is what the Stream Magic 6 is receiving. Software like dBPoweramp can retag albums to display 100% reliably and can be trialled for free. You are of course able to exchange the unit but- as I have tried to establish with your support tickets, I believe there is a wider issue with your network that remains unaddressed and suspect that Mr Duncan might be correct in his hypothesis.

Regards

Ed Selley

Cambridge Audio customer care.

marcoboone

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have the same problems that the files in one folder are played in alphabetical order or some kind of ad random. Do you have a solution for this in the meantime (also playing the files from the WD my book live DLNA drive)

Like to hear from you.

With regards,

Marco Boone

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
i've had no probems with the SM6, sounds great and plays my flacs over the wirelessly over the network without issue other than the signal from the wireless extender which is no fault of the SM6.

As JD asked, it may be an issue with your tagging of the tracks. Are you using an app to queue a playlist or just using the controls on the panel?

After reading Andrew Everard's NAS post i invested in the Bliss software which helped resolve a lot of the tagging issues which were as a result of ripping with EAC and inconsistent metadata. Are you able to post an image of one of the folders with the tracks you are trying to play?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts