Problems with Arcam Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, new here! I have a simple HiFi setup which has worked very well for quite a few years, but now after moving it the amp is giving a problem. The amp is an Arcam Delta 60 (yes, it's old!). I'm using an Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player and the amp is into Epos ES11 speakers (bi-wired). So here's the problem: In stereo I only get sound from one speaker, but if I press the mono button I get sound from both speakers. I opened the amp and there's nothing obvious amiss. I changed both the 2 amp fuses but that hasn't made any difference. At the moment I can't afford a new amp and even sending it away to be repaired is likely to cost more than I can afford. Anything obvious I may have missed? Anything I can try myself to test it would be much appreciated. Otherwise it's mono for me for the foreseeable future... :cry:Thanks

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Gododdin said:
Hi all, new here! I have a simple HiFi setup which has worked very well for quite a few years, but now after moving it the amp is giving a problem. The amp is an Arcam Delta 60 (yes, it's old!). I'm using an Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player and the amp is into Epos ES11 speakers (bi-wired). So here's the problem: In stereo I only get sound from one speaker, but if I press the mono button I get sound from both speakers. I opened the amp and there's nothing obvious amiss. I changed both the 2 amp fuses but that hasn't made any difference. At the moment I can't afford a new amp and even sending it away to be repaired is likely to cost more than I can afford. Anything obvious I may have missed? Anything I can try myself to test it would be much appreciated. Otherwise it's mono for me for the foreseeable future... :cry:Thanks
I have a delta 90 which I still use in my little gym - fine amp. What happens if you swap the channels round from the CD player - does it move speaker or remain the same? Have you tried plugging into a different input such as tape?

A

Anonymous

Hi, and thanks for that. When I do that the problem swaps to the other speaker. I've also tried putting the interconnects into other outputs on the amp (tape 1 and tuner) but still no stereo (all work in mono). I've also tried another CD player same result.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Could it be the cable? From what you have said, both inputs work and both outputs work and it happens with different players.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that suggestion - if that's the case I will be jumping for joy! :grin: I just ordered a cheap pair of 'hifi' cables from Ebay - let's see.... I'll report back once they arrive. Thanks again for the speedy help!

A

Anonymous

Hi just thought I would let you know that I went and borrowed a couple of cables from a friend and tried them - and all is working now as it should! Woohooo! Thanks for all the helpful advice! :clap: Now I need to choose some new cables - no idea where to start as so much has changed since I last looked at HiFi gear - but Atlas Element Integra get good reviews...

Thanks again, G

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts