Problem with Panasonic TX-37LZD70

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone had any problems with the "Normal" and "dynamic" viewing mode on this tv? It seems to be all over the place - one moment the picture is dark, the next its light. One way in particular you can notice this is by having the Picture menu open while playing a film (particularly a dark scene or the end credits) and the picture menu seems to almost flicker different shades of grey. Try watching the end credits of The Bourne Ultimatum for example (in normal picture mode) - is this normal? If anyone has the same tv plese let me know if you have the same problem...

A

Anonymous

I'm having a similar problem with my TH-PX80B, not the same model I know but same brand.

It does this on any picture mode for me, including eco and cinema. I've tried all kinds of settings, switching features on/off but does not make any difference. I get a nice picture set up and every few seconds the screen flicks slightly darker then returns to my colour settings after a couple of seconds. It does this constantly and is quite annoying.

Is this a problem in general with Panasonics or could be a faulty tv, does anyone know about this?

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking of taking mine back and asking for an exchange as I'm rather concerned this could be a progressive problem after only having the TV for a week. Have you contacted Panasonic yet?

A

Anonymous

Not contacted anyone yet, have you?

I've been hoping it will sort itself out thinking it might be because it's new but it's not looking like it will.

Might phone the place I got it from tomorrow, see what they have to say.

A

Anonymous

Isn't the TH-PX80B the new model? I haven't contacted Panasonic yet but am unsure of the level of support I will get...I'm plucking up the courage to walk into my local Panasonic shop and explain the problem hoping they will let me mess around with one of their TX-37LZD70's. Considering I bought it from Dixons online I don't think this will happen. If not I'll just get the exchange and try again - damned annoying!

A

Anonymous

Yep it's the new one. Phoned the place I got it from and an installer is coming round tomorrow to have a look, if he decides it's a fault with the tv it will be replaced the same day. If he decides it's not a fault I will be charged £10 for him to tell me that.

Can't see him saying it's not faulty though, I've unplugged all inputs but the aerial and it still does it, all other tv's in the house are fine and so was the tv it replaced.

Hopefully this time tomorrow I'll have a new fully working tv.

A

Anonymous

It sounds to me like a bad batch and I guess the three of us are just unlucky but at least we are switched on enough to have spotted it. I am waiting on a telephone call from Dixons to arrange pickup for my faulty tv - 2 to 3 days they said but judging on the people I was speaking to on the phone (apart from one very helpful chap) I doubt it!

Has anyone contacted Panasonic about this?

A

Anonymous

Well they came, saw the fault, took it away for more testing and gave me a replacement within an hour. I Set it up straight away and it's doing the exact same thing. Gutted!

I've phoned them again and they are going to phone me back to sort something out.

Can't believe 2 out of 2 have had the same fault. I'm thinking it might be a general design fault but hopefully its not, I like this tv and it would be pefect apart from this problem.

I went on panasonic website last night to try and contact them, It wanted my post code to find the nearest service centre, problem was it was greyed out and I couldn't enter anything in the box so I couldn't get any further. I'll see what the retailer says when they return my call then decide if to try contacting panasonic again.

A

Anonymous

Oh no - talk about bad luck! It sounds to me like a bad batch. I still haven't had a replacement yet. Let me know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

I've had the same TV for a week now and never noticed anything out the ordinary.

I tried the Bourne Ultimatum end credits in normal with the picture mode open like you stated , and yes I get the same "pulsing" of colour.

Reading on another forum about the problem and the reply was

"its the automatic backlight reduction.its a real pain in my opinion.change picture mode to auto or cinema and it should stop it"

A review site on another Panasonic TV, the TX-32LXD70 says,

"The processing resides under the umbrella name of Vreal2. The elements of Vreal2 include an automatic backlight system (that adjusts backlight brightness and contrast according to the demands of the scene)."

Looks like it's built into all Panasonic Vreal2 TVs

I'd say it's operating how it was meant to be, it's just the end credits you had problems with highlighted the problem, I've now trien the end credits in another mode and it works fine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your post John - the problem is that I have also tested this on a Panasonic Plasma with Vreal2 and the "pulsing" doesn't happend in normal or dynamic. If it is operating how it is meant to be I think its really poor! It's not just end credits this affects but all light to dark scenes. Can you post the link to the other forum please?

A

Anonymous

Retailer has not got back to me yet and I have now emailed Panasonic about the tv, they say I should receive a reply in 24 hours.

Have you been on Sky Sports News and seen the colour flickering there? Thats where I find it is most noticeable, when the news reader is talking at the camera look at the face and you can see it flicker dark then light again, does this every few seconds.

A

Anonymous

I don't have Sky but this problem is apparant on any scene where the camera changes from a light background to a darker one. I'm starting to wonder if this may be a design fault...?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="philman"]

Thanks for your post John - the problem is that I have also tested this on a Panasonic Plasma with Vreal2 and the "pulsing" doesn't happend in normal or dynamic. If it is operating how it is meant to be I think its really poor! It's not just end credits this affects but all light to dark scenes. Can you post the link to the other forum please?

[/quote]

Can't get the link to show but google

TX37LZD70 - Blacks level always changing

http://www.another site/forums/showthread.php?t=708170

A

Anonymous

You can get Sky Sports News on the integrated freeview, channel 83. I just went down to Comet to see if they had any on display I could check but they didn't. They had other Panasonics but not all the digital channels were tuned in and the guy said the their setup wasn't able to install more channels. Told him about mine and the replacement, he said it sounds like a fault. He also said he has an LG that does something similar but not a lot.

A

Anonymous

It sounds to me we are not alone...read the post before. I wonder if it is a fault or is it something we will have to live with. Have the What Hi Fi team still got the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 kicking around to test our theory? If you can get your hands on another set let me know the outcome. I suppose you could pose as a potential buyer at a shop and have a look.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with this TV - we certainly didn't see anything like this in the model we reviewed. I'm wondering if could be caused by a particular combination of picture settings...

We'll take another look at the TV as soon as we can. Could someone please post the picture settings that they're using so we can check those out specifically?

A

Anonymous

Hi Tom - the problem seems to occur with Picture settings of Normal or dynamic only. Contrast/brightness/tint/colour don't seems to have any effect on the over compensatory black levels. Let me know what you find out. Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

I took delivery of my TX37LZD70 yesterday and have not got any of the problems mentioned in this thread (touch wood!!). The picture quality on both HD and SD is stunning in my view - am absolutely delighted with it and especially as I got it from JL for 749.99 inc 5yr warranty. Hope you get it sorted.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rch19754"]

I took delivery of my TX37LZD70 yesterday and have not got any of the problems mentioned in this thread (touch wood!!). The picture quality on both HD and SD is stunning in my view - am absolutely delighted with it and especially as I got it from JL for 749.99 inc 5yr warranty. Hope you get it sorted.

[/quote]

Got mine same place same price, still looking for cheaper price match for the next 28 days though.

Did you try what philman said n the first post

" by having the Picture menu open while playing a film (particularly a dark scene or the end credits) and the picture menu seems to almost flicker different shades of grey. Try watching the end credits of The Bourne Ultimatum for example (in normal picture mode) "

I get no problems just watching the end credits, but put the picture mode up and it "pulses " every few seconds

A

Anonymous

I'm getting a replacement tomorrow so I'll be able to finally let you all know whether this is a bad batch or a design fault with the tv. If it is the latter, I hope The What Hi-Fi team take note and take it up with Panasonic as it effectively wipes out 2 of the four picture modes. I have also repeatedly e-mailed Panasonic but have been given standard replies.

A

Anonymous

Ok have tested the TV now re this problem. Yes it does pulse slowly between light/dark black but I dont think I would have ever noticed it if I hadn't read this thread. The problem completely dissapears if only auto or cinema mode. If yours does not go away in auto/cinema modes then I guess it is a fault otherwise I reckon that it's just the way the TV is. 2 b honest I had to really look hard on the end credits to notice it in normal picture mode.

John - Empire Direct have reduced the TV to 739!! A tenner is a tenner!

I cant get over how good this TV looks on SD through Sky.

If it does not do this pulsing in auto or cinema modes then why are you bothered - I seem to get my best pic on auto TBH.

A

Anonymous

I'm bothered because it effectively wipes out 2 of the 4 picture settings - if you do go from a light to a dark scene it does over compensate and then changes back to the correct lightness. I have just got the replacement (please see the new post - more bad luck) and it does the same so it is a design fault. It is still an amazing picture though - especially linked through to Blu Rays via a PS3.

A

Anonymous

I'm considering this tv and would be looking at JL for a pricematch.

Is there an Empire Direct near you or did you use a web based price?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts