problem.. why does my amp cut out?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi
ive recently bought some mourdant short aviano 6's. and linked them up with my old arcam alpha10, amazing sound really filly the room love the combination....until... after finding that now ive run the speakers in i thought id test what they can do with out ruining them oviously.
i took the amp up to a 3/4 of the way after the amp had been warmed up for about half an hour so it was hot. then it just shuts its self off. i know it does that when it gets too hot but is there another reason or way to fix this??

but it doesnt have a problem doing it when ive just turned it on.

any help would be appreciated,
thanks Lee

A

Anonymous

nope not of yet. i will get on to that, thanks just is a shame cause once it gets warmed up is when it is at its best!

matthewpiano

Most amps will do that and if it didn't you'd probably be looking at repairs to your speakers.

Most volume controls exceed their usefulness after round-a-bout the 12 o'clock position after which they get increasingly distorted sounding. At 3/4 of the way round your amp is probably clipping considerably and the protection circuitry is shutting it down to protect your speakers.

scene

It might just need a service, or could be a capacitor failing (when hot) - which can give the sort of issue you're describing...

BTW: I read a review of an Alpha 10 somewhere that stated that "Arcam say that the Thermal cutout kicks in after 45 minutes at 13W", but that the reviewer never had any problems with his cutting out. They do run rather hot (like most Arcams - my A85 and AVR250 double as central heating
emotion-5.gif
)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As above!

The Arcam Alpha 10 is a powerfull amp so volume about half way max should be enough!

The Alpha 10 has a digital read-out so the volume dial will just keep going round.

Careful or youre going to blow the amp and possibly damage the speakers!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
The Arcam's have always been pretty hot on their protection, had their AV stuff shut down a few times when playing hard at shows. That said I used to have an Alpha 10 and never got the protection kick in (99% sure that's what's happening with your system) but never had to go much over halfway round the dial with old Mission 753's to get very decent volume - they weren't the easiest load to drive either. If you're going to 3/4 of the way round you're definitely pushing it a little too hard, it's a powerful amp so it sounds like you need bigger/more efficient speakers for the sort of volume you're after.

A

Anonymous

yea cheers, well its about 1/2 to 3/4 but yea it does give out considerable sound but the speaker only just seem to be trying. and yea it like a portable heater when its been running for a while.
it all sounds to be about right tho, ill tone it down a little. and ive emailed arcam to see what they will say, worth a try.
but yea thanks alot.

Interesting thread. I usually have my 40 watt amp on for around 8-9 hours a day (although as much now), and my A65+ and currently Alpha 7 has never once cut out. TBH I don't play it at ear-busting levels, nevertheless, even when my RS6 was cranked up I never experienced any probs.

As mentioned above the biggest concern would be damaging the speakers. If there's any hint of distortion turn it down pronto. I think Nads manual 'clipping' button is a benefit in terms of speaker and amp damage at high levels.

A

Anonymous

yea the thing is i dont seem to get any distortion at all and im constantly watching the drivers. if anything the speaker are willing to go a little further but ive never gone a little over the top, still my pride and joy!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Are we talking 3/4 of the travel on the volume control - ie up to about the 3 o'clock position?

If so, this is quite normal, and you're well into the area where distortion will be setting in, so the amp is protecting itself, and your speakers, from damage.

scene

PP: your RS6's have a sensitivity of 91dB, the Aviano 6's sensitivity is 88dB. Now I know dB is a logarithmic scale, but is 3dB difference in sensitivity that huge?

Might just want to check your speaker cable (what are you using and how long are the runs?) and clean/re-trim the ends if you're not using plugs...

A

Anonymous

you can turn it while its off so it doesnt really have a set position only way to tell is by a bar reading on the display.

A

Anonymous

scene:

PP: your RS6's have a sensitivity of 91dB, the Aviano 6's sensitivity is 88dB. Now I know dB is a logarithmic scale, but is 3dB difference in sensitivity that huge?

Might just want to check your speaker cable (what are you using and how long are the runs?) and clean/re-trim the ends if you're not using plugs...

yea i did realise that it would take a good amp to power them of the sensitivity, erm i cant find a name on the cable but its cambridge audio directional bi-wire silver couted speaker cable with cambridge audio banana plug but the didnt fit the amp shide so ive straight wired them in...while im on the subject i was abit shocked to find the banna plug didnt fit on my 10. but my old man said that he had them on his 9.. so little confused there. but i belive you can get ones special for arcam am i right? whihc are like 2 mill large on the end in diametre or something like that.

scene

Older Arcams need BFA plugs, not banana ones - I have them on the speaker cables for my A85. BFA plugs are hollow up the middle, unlike banana plugs. BFA plugs can be used in banana sockets but Banana plugs can't be used in BFA posts. Just checked Alpha 10 needs BFA.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
thecradock:you can turn it while its off so it doesnt really have a set position only way to tell is by a bar reading on the display.

Point taken, but fact still remains that beyond about halfway in the volume range, most of what you'll be adding will be distortion, not more power.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
scene:

A 3dB difference in sensitivity, equates to a doubling of power for the same volume. So yes, it is a huge difference. Sounds like a bigger amp is needed.

scene

sometimesuk:scene:

A 3dB difference in sensitivity, equates to a doubling of power for the same volume. So yes, it is a huge difference. Sounds like a bigger amp is needed.

OK, thanks for that clarification - I'd forgotten that a 3dB is roughly a doubling of power - it's been a while since I did my Physics at uni.

JakBurn

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Been reading through this post and although not adding anything usefull to it, I am curious as to why an AMP is only good till about the 12. o clock position, I mean whats the point of a dial going past this point if all ill get is distortion, clipping, cutout etc?

Its a bit like spinal taps amps going to Eleven!

And of on a tangent as ever,

What if I wanted Donnington Rocks in my livingroom? is a PA system the way to go?

I remember the "Hard & Heavy" vhs videos where this guy had his hifi hooked up to PA equipment and it used to blow him out the house!

Now thats what I want!
emotion-2.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I just hope you haven't got neighbours!
emotion-8.gif

That must be seriously loud.

I'd forgotten about those Hard 'n' Heavy Vids. I wonder if I can get the Thrash Metal special on DVD.
emotion-40.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts