ProAcs Tablette 8 with Classe+preamp or Integrated Amp?

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I got a used Classe CA-100 Amplifier together with ProAc Tablette 8 Reference Signature. The guy who sold me the stuff sugessted I get a budget Amp, such as the Cambridge Audio 550A, and use it as a pre-amp for the Classe to get the 'best' performance on the ProAcs.

As I am new to HiFi stuff and have not the option of auditioning due to my location, I would ask for your advise on the above. Should I follow this route or purchase a better integrated amplifier?

Thanks

Hi Claudio,
The Classe is a good power amp, keep it. However I do not see the point of getting a budget amplifier to run as a preamp, why waste money on sections you are not going to use. I would advise you to find a proper preamplifier that fits in with your budget.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. If you're using a power amplifier, there's no point in getting an integrated amplifier. The pre-amplifier is one of the most important parts of the system - skimp on that and the benefits of the other components are lost.

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I considered that as the pre-amps I was suggested were well out of my budget...

Any suggestions on a suitable pre-amp?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have the makings of a lovely sounding system.

If possible, I would like to stretch your budget a little further to a ATC CA-2. It will get out of the way, and let the music shine through.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You really have a lot of flexibility here.. You can consider getting a DAC like Benchmark DAC1 (which has a built-in volume control - may be used), if the Digital is primary and your system will have a great SQ which puts even expensive systems to shame.

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everybody.

I have looked(Browsed actually) at both Audiolab & ATC CA-2 preamps, and seem excellent. The problem they both have no distributor in my country and I would prefer to get them locally. Is CA Azur 840P, which is available, suitable for my setup?

I also have a CA DacMagic, which I have connected to by M-Audio AV40s active monitors (for computer music). Could it be used in the HiFi setup instead?

Thanks

ClaudioC said:
Thanks everybody.

I have looked(Browsed actually) at both Audiolab & ATC CA-2 preamps, and seem excellent. The problem they both have no distributor in my country and I would prefer to get them locally. Is CA Azur 840P, which is available, suitable for my setup?

I also have a CA DacMagic, which I have connected to by M-Audio AV40s active monitors (for computer music). Could it be used in the HiFi setup instead?

Thanks

Regards your first question then I would say no. The 840P is a phono preamplifier used if you have a turntable in your setup. You should be looking at the 840E (at least it has this designation in the UK)as this is the preamplifier of this range.
The DacMagic can be used in a hifi setup yes.

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
:) You are absolutely right. 840E is the PreAmp, I was just confused by the P. (CA uses P as Phono PreAmps).

Is 840E suitable and comparable to say Audiolab 8200CDQ or 8200Q?

Thanks,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts