ProAc Tablette 50 Signature replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My much loved ProAv Tablette 50 Signatures are no more and I am looking for replacements

I use them half the time as my main TV speakers (only using stereo for AV) and the remainder for either old fashioned CD listening or via streaming media

Most of my existing kit is old but decent and I'd rather not touch it

Cyrus aca7 pre

Cyrus apa7 mono blocks

Cyrus DAD 3Q + 24bit upgrade

Sonos streaming

Any suggestions on a good replacement pair? I'm happy to consider stand or smallish floor standers, i do have a largeish room and i'd happily look at pre-owned.

I have seen a pair of ProAc Reference 8 Signatures for sale - any comments on these?

A

Anonymous

Not really wanting to spend more than 700-800 but still want a decent replacement. Hence considering pre-owned

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well we don't really do used, but you could look at B Grade (imperfect) to get more for your money. At RRP, you could look at the Spendor S3/5r2, KEF LS50 or R100, ATC SCM7, or the Dynaudio Excite X12. I think the closest to what you had would be the Spendors, but the Dynaudios have always worked well with Cyrus, so are worth trying out.

Used, you could look at Dynaudio Focus 110, KEF XQ10, or any of the Tablette models that have appeared between your model and the current Anniversary model. The ProAc Tri-Towers were rather good, but were nigh on £2k - not sure what these would go for now, but they're basically a Tablette with dual bass/mid drivers - fantastic sounding speaker.

A

Anonymous

Thanks David.

I've heard good thinks about the Spendors before but i'm not familiar with them, maybe it's time to get out and have a listen.

Hi rantnrave

What genre of music do you generally listen to please?

What is the size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of speakers (distance to walls, corners, anything in between the speakers such ads cabinet, etc.)

Your general listening level?

In the meantime ATC's SCM11 monitors are also worth bearing in mind. You should also be able to find a used pair of SCM11 monitors within your budget :)

I'll respectfully say and highly recommend changing your existing pre amp and using pre amplification from an alternative manufacturer as i feel this will do your source components and particularly the power amplifiers a world of good. Again if you're happy to consider used/discontinued pre amplification then a pre amplifier such as Rotel's RC-995 is worth looking out for.

Btw, I just want to be clear that we don't deal with used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I had the ProAc Tablette Signatures for a little while and for there size they were and still are a very established speaker, but for your budget I would seriously consider the new Kef LS50's which blew me away with there sound quality and sit right with in your budget, I do not think there is a speaker that comes close in terms of performance for the money as is hits so far higher that its price tag suggests, I would suggest that you seriously get a demo of these little beauties to see what all the fuss is about and find out for yourself.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info.

I'm generally a rock music fan (think Muse, Pink Floyd), but do stray a bit into classic. As mentioned before they spend about 50% of their time as TV speakers. Levels rarely get too high although occasionally i like to give things a bit of a work out

The room is quite large, about 30x20 but the listening space is a little smaller. It room isn't too cluttered and the speakers stand about 12 feet apart and i have plenty of space to keep them away from walls etc.

I'm surprised you suggest replacing the Cyrus pre, it may be old but i've always been impressed with the sound it delivers, especially with the Proac's

Hi rantnrave

I suggested replacing the aca7 with an alternative make of pre amplification and this is something which I still feel that you should also consider.

Fwiw, I used to own aca7/PSX-R/apa7/Tablette 50 Signature combination.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are looking for a like-for-like replacement, I will say that I love my PMC DB1i's which I have in the office driven by a Naim Nait 5. They are a little overpriced but you could get them used or B-grade at your price. Like the Tablettes they are stunning for the size, though I think the PMC's better bass gives a more balanced presentation. The midrange of the Tablettes is arguably slightly better but overall, at that size, the PMCs give you more if you are not using a sub. As far as minis go, I might also look for the little Roksan Kandy speakers - they are brilliant and would cost a lot more if Roksan weren't an amp company - a true bargain.

Still, though, you said you were open to small floorstanders or bigger standmounts, so that's exactly what you should do. People get excited about small speakers and sometimes, imaging-wise, they can be quite special. But a speaker is a mechanical device fundamentally and the more air you are moving, the more music you get. Speaker designers must cope with the laws of physics.

I would NOT try to move further up the Response range (e.g., the D1SC or D Two). Not for rock and roll with your setup. If you like ProAc maybe look at the Studio range - very vivid and dynamic presentation. A used pair for Studio 140s - maybe slightly out of reach at your budget - would absolutely rock your world. But I would argue that even a pair of Studio 115s would be an upgrade for your music/room.

I am a ProAc fan but I love PMC as well and I think some of the larger cousins of my DB1i's would be even better for your type of music and your amp. Again, though, the prices are high. But if you could get your hands on a pair of GB1i's - which maybe are slightly more obtainable after PMC's newer Twenty series swept the WHF 2012 awards - they would pair brilliantly with your Cyrus and give you a truly special hifi, light-years beyond what you have now.

One further, less obvious thought for you. I had a pair of KEF Q300s that I moved on to a friend, but I tested them with my Nait, my Pathos Logos, and a NAD 326Bee. This is old news but they are stunning speakers, hugely detailed, great bass, and sounding like they cost a lot more (the imaging improved drastically when I switched in the DB1is, but again, it's hard to beat the bigger bass driver when it comes to scale). The sound that the KEFs put out with the Pathos was just ridiculous - a reminder of how speakers need to be competent, not spectacular, to realise the potential of a good amp. The realism was simply stunning considering they are 400 quid or so.

I'm not saying to buy the Q300s, but it's just a reminder that the newest midrange stuff just keeps getting better, much better. KEF just won POY here on WHF with the LS50s, which I have not heard yet - but you certainly should listen to them. I have not heard the newer Tannoy stuff that everyone is swooning over either but apparently they are within touching distance of the high-end. The Tablettes you lost are true classics, but in today's maket, the mid-brands are squeezing the old high-end guard, and doing it hard. You benefit, but only if you listen to the speaker and not the nameplate.

Best of luck - try to have some fun and listen around to some speakers. When I need to replace a piece I always push to get it done fast, and never to my benefit.

Kevin

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advise everyone. I've been having a couple of auditions and have moved the goalposts a bit. As I plan to buy something that will hopefully last at least 10 years i think a suitable investment is in order.

So far I've listened to these connected to some Cyrus kit

KEF LS50 - not my kind of sound

Spendor A6 - I found these a little dull

I was also lucky enough to hear some Neat Momentum 3i, albeit with Naim electronics. I thought these were a different class altogether. The isobaric design produces an enormous sound for a stand mount. Plently of low bass and great clarity in the mids. I hear the treble can be a bit bight and tiring but I only checked them out for half an hour and didn't notice it.

The B&W PM1's I heard at the same audition sounded rather weedy by comparison, where's the bass gone?

I'm still hoping to check out the ProAc's, I liked my old sound. Would a bigger budget, bigger cabinet ProAc sound that much different to the Tablette or it the same, just better. And should I bother spending £2000 on something that will just show up my old amps?

If someone can drive to my house with a van load of gear and spend all day setting it up for me until i find a winner there's a beer in it for you

A

Anonymous

Anyone any thoughts on using a sub on a stereo setup? It's been suggested I try the ProAc tablettes and add a sub, something like the REL T9. Same old sound, but with more low end to fill the bigger room?

A

Anonymous

And so, after listening to quite a few (mostly new) options I have settled on an old favourite - as suggested earlier on this thread. The Proac 1SC is the winner. So much sound for such a little thing and pretty too. Maybe i'll tire of the lack of low end grunt and add a sub, we'll see.

A couple of observations

- New speakers just dont cut mustard (until the +£1500 bracket)

- The 1SC is quite possibly the greatest mini monitor ever made

- I dont like the sound of most floor standers

Thanks all for your suggestions and advise.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Congrats, the 1SC's are one of the best all round speakers I have heard, just really nice.

What stands do you have, every pair I have heard have been on the Target R-Series (R1 or R2 IIRC) which work really well and IIRC, were designed/developed with the 1SC's in mind.

A

Anonymous

Yep, these are on a pair of Target R1's, i bought them when i originally purchased the Tablettes. They sound great, although my good lady has never really been taken by their slightly industrial look. I think these are the stands to have with the ProAc's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts