Proac D18 for rock and metal?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I still find with my music (and ears....) many speakers on the bright side. I still like the sound of the very old KEF Reference model two.

I find my speakers, MA RX 6, too bright with female voices. It hurt my ears. How are the Proac?

SteveR750

Depends on your amp, but a resounding yes. Rock & Metal is insufferable with a brash bright tweeter, and the proac is not that for sure. You might want more bass thump your chest, but at the same proice it would be at the expense of smoothness and detail for sure, not that they are weak in any way, just that it's not earthshaking - you'd need a sub for that.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think your amp will get the best from the D18's.

Then again they might work great together!

If you can get a demo with your amp then worth a try. You can obviously try other speakers that might suit your amp better or try the D18's with a better amp so you can see what they are capable of in the long run if you plan on upgrading the amp and CD player later.

SteveR750

Changing to the Marantz is too much of a sideways step. Your best bet for that type of metal is a pair pof B&W floorstanders - 684 or their predecessors used (602.5 s3 or something like that). The B&Ws work well with NAD amps, and have a great punchy combination without being too overblown. Matching a £500 amp with £2k speakers is not the best way to spend your money to be honest, unle you are about to change the amp fopr something substantially better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts