Pro-Ject Wallmount It 1

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone any experience with this? Basically would be putting my centre speaker on this above my TV as I can't find any "decent" centre speaker brackets for a speaker of my size. I don't want to pay the extra cash though unless it's a reasonable stand i.e. cuts down vibration etc.

A

Anonymous

by the looks of it prof it seems a much better idea to make one then you can get the right size and should be way cheaper too!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Mmm, let's just say DIY isn't my strong point - I think me trying to build an isolated shelf would just lead to disaster! I've ordered this now anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had had any experience with it quickly before I bought. I reckon it'll be fine and at least my centre fits on this nicely!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No - bought it from Stoneaudio.co.uk and had no contact from them at all so phoned them Friday and was told they were waiting for stock which should come in Monday so I'll get it Wednesday. They didn't have any qualms of taking my money the day I ordered though...

Needless to say I won't be using them again.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, it's arrived. I still had had no contact yesterday from Stone Audio so rang them again and they said they were still waiting on some other Atacama bits that I ordered at the same time to come in (which I was told were in stock when I ordered) and so I should get them Thursday. I voiced my annoyance at this and, to give them some credit, they must have pulled something out of the bag as it came today along with a voucher for free delivery on my next order for my troubles. Still, there are a few things which annoy me as an internet / mail order customer (for the benefit of any retailers who read these posts!):

(a) Being told something is in stock when it isn't;
(b) Having money taken out of my account even when you have no intention of shipping something to me that day;
(c) Having no contact with a retailer unless I contact them. If you're going to take my email address and phone number, then use them!!

Anyway, rant aside (!), initial impressions out of the box are good - it looks very sturdy with 5 large screws (with appropriate rawlplugs) to attach the frame to the wall and 4 screws to attach the main bracket to the frame. The wooden part of the bracket sits atop this and it has height adjustable screws meaning I don't need to get the frame attached to the wall absolutely spot on level to still get the speaker level which is nice (I think I mentioned my DIY skills!).

I just now need to find the time to get the thing installed as obviously my entire system needs to be taken apart and moved before I can start drilling holes. Given a busy week at work and me busy every night till Sunday, not sure when this will be. I might try and sneak it in tomorrow if I can as I'm keen to get everything looking nice in the living room (at the moment, my amp is sticking out about 10" out of one of my AV stands!)

A

Anonymous

Good luck professor I hope it goes smooth. I too have got to put my other vogel wall mount up tommorow in the only and most awkward place in my room possible (although your one sounds more awkward) to the side and slightly behind my tv and speakers and other shelfs are above which are likely disperse their contents on my head. LOL.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Paul! How did your tricky install go? I've just ordered a 9mm drill bit (which are apparently as rare as hen's teeth according to my local hardware store) as I've no idea on the size of the custom rawlplugs that came with the Pro-Ject (no instructions provided unfortunately). They're slightly bigger than 8mm, but I don't want to drill 10mm holes (which is the next "standard" size up) and find it's too big! I've also emailed Pro-Ject to see what they say as well. As always, I'll post the results up here!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's up! It did need the 9mm drill bit in the end in case anyone else does buy this - apparently they are non-standard so you won't find them in most drill sets. I got mine from here and the rawlplugs fit in perfectly, needing a tap with the hammer to get them firmly in place.

Now I've just got to get everything back in its place and cable it all up again (easier said than done!) and I can test. Should be tomorrow I reckon as I'm out again tonight.

A

Anonymous

LOL. Ohh mate, I had the same problem. I had to use a 3mm to get a pilot hole going then a chunky 8 or 9mm for the hole. Of course it all went 'T**s up and the top screw broke in the hole because it was made of that cheap alloy stuff. So that was the end of that hole.
So learning from this, I had to spend ages searching the garage for a decent enough screws to replace the other 3 from the packet.
I too had to hammer the screws in as the backplate wouldn't go over them properly. Lol.
But after some swearing It was all up, I then placed my turntable on it and tucked the cables in and I was away. It is pretty solid and looks the part I reccomend it if you need to wall mount your gear too. Just use other screws.

Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nightmare! Well, once I had the correct drill bit, the rest of the install was smooth sailing so doesn't sound like mine was as bad as yours. Managed to get everything hooked up yesterday and watched a couple of films and the sound is great - just as good as before. Tested it with the first scene in "Saving Private Ryan" as well as, I think this is a good test for the centre to be able to hear the dialogue clearly over the pandemonium going on out of the front and rear surrounds and it passed this with flying colours. And, because everyone loves a picture thread, here's what it looks like:

2430444085_a290bbe982.jpg

2430444081_4264d5b00b.jpg

Hope this thread is useful to someone in the same situation as me!

A

Anonymous

Nice system there mate, it really looks the part.
What shelf did you use in the end and where did you get?
Cheers
Paul

A

Anonymous

Ok, Thanks I will take that into consideration. Later Professor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts