Pro-ject Essential ---> Pioneer A-109 hum- do i need a preamp?

Hi,

Sorry I know these threads are a dime a dozen but I've tried a lot of different fixes and can't make heads or tails of it- basically I've had this turntable (Pro-ject Essential) for 3 few years and it's been out of action for the last year or so due to an old cartridge, and since then my amp broke and I got a pretty ok Pioneer A-109 on the cheap. I got round to finally installing a new cartridge on my turntable this weekend and whilst I'm not an expert I don't think I did anything hugely wrong while doing it, but since hooking it up to the phono stage on my amp there's been a constant, very noticeable hum on anything above a low volume when my amp is switched to the phono input (i.e. whether the turntable itself is turned on and off). The turntable is a fair distance away from the amp and as far as I can see all the wires are well secured so I don't really know what else it could be, but I might be missing something.

I know it's hard to tell without seeing it but does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this hum? Should I be looking into getting a pre-amp or is there a decent chance it could be to do with something else? I cant take my whole set-up into a store and I don't know anyone close by who would be more knowledgable so I'm at a bit of a dead end with this.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

update: basically I moved a few things around and fiddled with some connections and it's not as bad (i.e. only slightly noticeable) when actually playing music at a considerable volume, but it's still omnipresent and annoying between songs, during quiet bits and when the turntable isn't even turned on but the amp is switched to phono. any help still greatly appreciated

Lewis Defrates said:
update: basically I moved a few things around and fiddled with some connections and it's not as bad (i.e. only slightly noticeable) when actually playing music at a considerable volume, but it's still omnipresent and annoying between songs, during quiet bits and when the turntable isn't even turned on but the amp is switched to phono. any help still greatly appreciated

I am guessing from your post that this is the first time you have played a turntable through this amp, is that correct?

The hum certainly sounds like an earth-loop and perhaps more playing with the wiring might help. Check connecton back of cartridge are good and tight and on the correct pins. If you have tonearm cable earth wire attached to the earth on your amp make sure that is good and tight. Possibly even try detaching it and see if hum is still there.

There is a slim chance your amp does have a problem with the inbuilt phono stage, can you borrow a phono preamp from anywhere to check?

If you intend upgrading at any time then buying a preamp may be a good thing although Marantz inbuilt ones are usually pretty good. You could also try buying a new connecting cable and try that in place of the one you have fitted at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts