pro-ject essential 2, best set up????

voodoomonki

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
My son has his eye on the above turntable (£200) for xmas just for playing his vinyl, i was wondering how to set it up i.e which speakers? does it need a external amp etc.

Also, I was wondering what speakers would be sufficient, im looking at wharfedale 9/10.1 but im not sure if there are alternatives that would be better sound quality for around the same price, as you can tell im pretty clueless when it comes to this! :)

All comments and help greatly appreciated

Ta very much!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
it will be a lovely TT, the speakers will be fine that you mention - how much is your budget for an Amplifier, we need to know so we can point you in the right direction.

Better still what is the budget? where will you place the TT as it needs stability, also need to factor in speakers stands for bookshelf speakers - speakers perform best when isolated on stands. Dont worry about being clueless we all started out like yourself!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Good advice there, just keep reading the forums for specifics, ie amp speakers and TT but dont get bogged down, a good site to look on is vinyl engine, it has a readers sytems link, cant remember if there is one here but it will give you an idea of what you need, for now here is a system that wont break the bank and will sound nice, Project genie 3 with ortofon 2m red fitted about 250.00 Marantz PM 5004 or Denon 720 A about 150.00 to 200.00 Tannoy mercury V1 about 99.00, speaker cables and stands shouldn't come to much more than 50.00, depending on your budget of course, ther are other choices but try and audition if you can, i have heard the above components but you may like something different, maybe start at richer sounds or superfi, good luck.

voodoomonki said:
My son has his eye on the above turntable (£200) for xmas just for playing his vinyl, i was wondering how to set it up i.e which speakers? does it need a external amp etc.

Also, I was wondering what speakers would be sufficient, im looking at wharfedale 9/10.1 but im not sure if there are alternatives that would be better sound quality for around the same price, as you can tell im pretty clueless when it comes to this! :)

All comments and help greatly appreciated

Ta very much!

Just to be clear, 'best set up' is probably not what you are asking. The Essential II is a turntable with cartridge, not a record player with everything built in. That means it needs both an amplifier with a special input marked 'phono' to take the turntable and a pair of speakers. The models named above have that but some won't. Then you need the speakers and cable. You need to budget for another £300 to £400 on top of the turntable to get a compete record playing setup.

if you are in the uk I suggest you find a friendly dealer to help. Richer Sounds are good if you don't have an independent.

voodoomonki

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
As for the budget for an amplifier there really isnt one, just looking for something above average but a nice starting point, as sure he will build and upgrade it as time goes by.

It will be set up in a double bedroom/decent size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts