Primare i22 CD and matching amp

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I would like opinons on the quality of the Primare I22 CD player and amplifier.

They will have a pair Tannoy XT6F on the end of them.

Would be buying blind as they are in Scotland and I am in the West Mids.

I do like a more laid back sound [used to have Icon valve amp in the past] as my current Cambridge cxa 60 and CXC transport are a bit to forward.

insider9

I'd certainly warn you not to pair Tannoys with I22. I've owned I22 and Tannoy DC6T although not at the same time. Tannoys just do sound good with class D for me and can sound very bright. Might bit different for you but doubt it.

It's a very good amp otherwise. However if you go for an older Primare like I30 or A30.1 or a smaller A20, they are just superb with Tannoys. Owned A30.1 and a mate of mine owns A20 both doing extremely well with Tannoys.

I would not expect a Primare to be reminiscent of an Icon valve amp, as the Primare tend to be pretty neutral. If you are buying mail order you should have a return window.

The I32 and I22 are being replaced so you should get a decent discount.

Fenton Beasley

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'd certainly warn you not to pair Tannoys with I22. I've owned I22 and Tannoy DC6T although not at the same time. Tannoys just do sound good with class D for me and can sound very bright. Might bit different for you but doubt it.

It's a very good amp otherwise. However if you go for an older Primare like I30 or A30.1 or a smaller A20, they are just superb with Tannoys. Owned A30.1 and a mate of mine owns A20 both doing extremely well with Tannoys.

I've currently got a Audiolab CD8200Q, Primare A34.2 Power Amp and Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE speakers and the sound is very lean, even bordering on thin with some recordings. I was using my Roksan Kandy K2 as a power amp before the Primare and there was bass a-plenty. I've switched to the Primare and I'm not so impressed. I've just audtioned (and bought) some Monitor Audio Silver 300's and the cavernous bass is back along with extra detail.

insider9

Fenton Beasley said:
insider9 said:

I've currently got a Audiolab CD8200Q, Primare A34.2 Power Amp and Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE speakers and the sound is very lean, even bordering on thin with some recordings. I was using my Roksan Kandy K2 as a power amp before the Primare and there was bass a-plenty. I've switched to the Primare and I'm not so impressed. I've just audtioned (and bought) some Monitor Audio Silver 300's and the cavernous bass is back along with extra detail.

A34.2 is also Class D and that's why Tannoys didn't play nicely. Your choice of an Audiolab DAC didn't help either. Class D Primare can do very well in some systems of course. I like Primare sound but pick my speakers first always so no class D for me.

Fenton Beasley

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
A34.2 is also Class D and that's why Tannoys didn't play nicely. Your choice of an Audiolab DAC didn't help either. Class D Primare can do very well in some systems of course. I like Primare sound but pick my speakers first always so no class D for me.

I love my Class D Primare, but only with the Monitor Audio Silver 300's. Speakers first - that's the way to go.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Ive owned the tannoy dc6tse’s but forget all this stuff. Just go out and listen to some amps, you will be a better judge of what you like yourself. Too much reading between the lines and tastes here of what is hot and not. It’s a bit like trying to work out which wine variety is best. Some will say this or that. You just need a few drinks yourself then you’ll know.

Trying to be connossieurs when frankly you can’t know what will happen and appease to tastes, is an exercise in vacuosity.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
S83 Trike said:
I would like opinons on the quality of the Primare I22 CD player and amplifier.

They will have a pair Tannoy XT6F on the end of them.

Would be buying blind as they are in Scotland and I am in the West Mids.

I do like a more laid back sound [used to have Icon valve amp in the past] as my current Cambridge cxa 60 and CXC transport are a bit to forward.
if you want to kick back and relax sell the tannoy and buy a pair of sonus Faber chameleon or venere with your Cambridge :)

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Ok got a chance of a SH Arcam FMJ A38 at £575 or Primare i30 at £750.?

I would need to change my CD player too as its the Cambridge CXC transport.

either amp would be better than the Cambridge CA60?

insider9

S83 Trike said:
Ok got a chance of a SH Arcam FMJ A38 at £575 or Primare i30 at £750.?

I would need to change my CD player too as its the Cambridge CXC transport.

either amp would be better than the Cambridge CA60?

Yes, both would be a step up. Tough choice. I'd probably go Primare but Arcam is also very good.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't be for me either.

IMO.

Arcam/Electrocompaniet/MF/Pathos/Unison Research/Audio Analogue with Tannoy.

Something warmer with Class D, like SF, Spendor or Kef R Series.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts