Presonus Eris 5 vs Eris 8

ORoxo

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Hey, guys

I currently own a pair of PreSonus Eris 5. However, one of them has a problem which already happened twice - the sound is very low and "muddy". Is this a recurring problem with presonus?

When I had this problem previously, I send them back to the store and got a new pair. However, this time, I either get them repaired elsewhere or I'm getting store credit and spend an extra $160 to get the Eris 8. Is there a big difference between the two models worth the extra spending? Or is there any other model from other brands who's worth more than the Eris 8 for the same range price? I listen to Hip-Hop and R&B mainly

Thanks

rainsoothe

You'll get much more (and arguably better?) bass from an 8 inch driver, so if you have them placed on a desk or close to walls and no acoustic treatment, it might overpower. Of course, the music you listen to would benefit from bigger speakers if you can accommodate them. I like Yamaha HS 7 if you wanna try alternatives, but try to audition for yourself. If you can up your budget, the new(ish) Dynaudio LYD series are pretty damn good.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
With the reliability issue. Some early Presonus speakers could be a tad noisy but that was supposedly all sorted years ago, dissapointing to here you are having issues, particularly when the same thing happens to two different pairs.

This would make me loath to get another pair of Presonus, if your dealer will play ball, have a look at the HS7s mentioned above, a bigger (6.5in) bass driver and a bigger sound with weightier bass. The big 8in models from either manufacturer will be even more potent, but likely need a bit of space to be at their best. A very personal viewpoint, I find the Yamaha HS8s can easily sound a bit unruly, the HS7 is definitely the 'sweet spot' in the range for me.

I have not heard the Eris 8 at home so can not really say how it reacts in domestic situations, sounded very good in-store though.

ORoxo

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
First of all, thanks for your input, guys.

Unfortunately, I live in Portugal and the supply we have regarding Hi-fi is very short. Therefore, I bought my speakers from musicstore which means I can't really listen to them prior buying. I bought the Preosnus set adviced by datedotcom and not one second have I been disappointed by its performance. However, this recurring issue its not very comfortable in the sense that every four months I have to send the speakers back which takes two weeks.

With this being saying, Dynaudio is way out of my range. I would be willing to spend around $400 for the whole set, not just one speaker. I had a look at Yamaha and they looked ok. However, as I'm really keen on the Presonus' performance, I think I will give it an extra and final shot.

If I wish to upgrade to the Eris 8, do you think that getting some of these things in the room would be enough to acoustically treat it?

16332652-0100-400x400-placa-de-isolamento.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ORoxo said:

Unfortunately, I live in Portugal and the supply we have regarding Hi-fi is very short. Therefore, I bought my speakers from musicstore which means I can't really listen to them prior buying. I bought the Preosnus set adviced by datedotcom and not one second have I been disappointed by its performance. However, this recurring issue its not very comfortable in the sense that every four months I have to send the speakers back which takes two weeks.

With this being saying, Dynaudio is way out of my range. I would be willing to spend around $400 for the whole set, not just one speaker. I had a look at Yamaha and they looked ok. However, as I'm really keen on the Presonus' performance, I think I will give it an extra and final shot.

If I wish to upgrade to the Eris 8, do you think that getting some of these things in the room would be enough to acoustically treat it?

The acoustic tiles might help control high frequencies in a lively room but will not help with the bass.

This may not even be an issue if you have a reasonably sized room and can get the speakers a little bit out from the wall, they sound very like their small brothers but bigger, bolder and with a bit more bass. These are not desktop or suited to a really small room but with a bit of care in setup, they should be fine in most rooms.

If you haven't already seen it, take a llok at this... https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/presonus-eris-e5-e8

ORoxo

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:

The acoustic tiles might help control high frequencies in a lively room but will not help with the bass.

This may not even be an issue if you have a reasonably sized room and can get the speakers a little bit out from the wall, they sound very like their small brothers but bigger, bolder and with a bit more bass. These are not desktop or suited to a really small room but with a bit of care in setup, they should be fine in most rooms.

If you haven't already seen it, take a llok at this... https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/presonus-eris-e5-e8

Worst case scenario what would happen if my room is not big enough and there's no space "a little bit out from the wall? I actually think both things shouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering what would happen in such situation

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ORoxo said:
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:

Worst case scenario what would happen if my room is not big enough and there's no space "a little bit out from the wall? I actually think both things shouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering what would happen in such situation

Over done bass that is loose and out of control. Particularly an issue at higher volumes.

However, a reasonable size toom with some soft furnishings and a bit of space around the speakers and you will probably be fine, use the bass shelving (acoustic space) controls if you need to.

ORoxo

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:

Over done bass that is loose and out of control. Particularly an issue at higher volumes.

However, a reasonable size toom with some soft furnishings and a bit of space around the speakers and you will probably be fine, use the bass shelving (acoustic space) controls if you need to.

Thanks once again, dave. I can't stress how grateful I am for your help. In that case, I think I will give a try to the Eris 8. Fingers crossed.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ORoxo said:
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:

Thanks once again, dave. I can't stress how grateful I am for your help. In that case, I think I will give a try to the Eris 8. Fingers crossed.

Decent stands, around 18-20 in high, out from the wall as far as you sensibly can and do not be afraid to use the acoustic space and other controls.

Get this right and they are great speakers, bigger, bolder and with greater bass extension than the Eris 5.

ORoxo

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:
davedotco said:
ORoxo said:

Decent stands, around 18-20 in high, out from the wall as far as you sensibly can and do not be afraid to use the acoustic space and other controls.

Get this right and they are great speakers, bigger, bolder and with greater bass extension than the Eris 5.

Will keep that in mind, dave. Thanks! If there's any way I can get in touch with you more easily drop me a pm. I would love to provide some feedback, if you're also interested.

btw, do you think I would benefit from getting a PreSonus Temblor T10? I have been equating this for some time now but it's quite expensive for a single piece so I'm not sure if it's worth the money

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Firstly get the Eris 8s up and running and see what you get.

At that point you need to work out what needs improving in terms of the Eris 8s bass response. My personal preference, even with the '5s is to use the shelving control to keep the bass tight and maybe a little lean and use a bit of mid-bass lift to give a little more kick.

Bear in mind my musical preferences do not include much in the way of bass heavy music so this works for me, in my room and setup. Remember, a good sub will extend the bass rather than boost the overall level, though with the '8s you should have plenty of bass.

ORoxo

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
Firstly get the Eris 8s up and running and see what you get.

At that point you need to work out what needs improving in terms of the Eris 8s bass response. My personal preference, even with the '5s is to use the shelving control to keep the bass tight and maybe a little lean and use a bit of mid-bass lift to give a little more kick.

Bear in mind my musical preferences do not include much in the way of bass heavy music so this works for me, in my room and setup. Remember, a good sub will extend the bass rather than boost the overall level, though with the '8s you should have plenty of bass.

Sounds like a wise advice. Once again, dave, thank you. Hope it doesn't take more than two weeks to get the new pair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts