Preparing for an audition - finding speakers that match Rotel RO-04

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I am trying to replace my current sound solution (cf http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=315783&sourceid=2003 ) by something slightly more potent
emotion-10.gif

About me: I listen (mostly) to Rock, Hard Rock, and French chansons . I am *very* new to HI-FI - I decided to purchase a solid hi-fi system because:

* I was really fed up with the poor quality of traditional PC speakers (be it logitech, creative,... those I got now are just temporary, I used to have "normal" crappy ones)
* So many of those broke or were such absolute rubbish that I think I had my 5th in 4 years. So spending some money and keeping the system for a long time might actually be worth it...

I use my computer as main source. I just ordered this sound card to go with it: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/maudioaudiophile/index.html

I also bought a Rotel ro-04 amp today, as I read so much praise around it pretty much everywhere, it seemed like a safe bet.

To my questions.... :
* I need speakers! :) If possible in the 250-450€ range (living in Berlin... and you know what, Hi-Fi is more expensive over here). I've been looking at the diamond 10.1. Challengers; Dali Lector 2 and B&W 685. What would match the Rotel? Is there a ratio for the amp/speakers price that kind of make sense? Is there a huge difference between the 10.1 and the more expensive 685?
* How do auditions work? Do I need to bring my amp? Do I need to bring music? Should I test several songs on every amp - how long do auditions work for "budget" amps?

Thanks a lot for your help - if I did something horribly wrong so far thanks for letting me know..

matthewpiano

Quad 11Ls. They work superbly with the Rotel amps to give a fast and detailed sound.

I would also recommend looking at the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2. They work very well with the Rotel amps (I used a pair with an RA-01 for a while) and give a big-boned, full bodied sound.

I'd say the 685s would also be an excellent choice and the Rotel is perfectly capable of driving them very well.

For the audition take your amp (unless the dealer has an RA-04 on demonstration) and choose a selection of tracks to take that you are very familiar with. Make sure that you test using the full range of music you are likely to throw at the system in the normal course of events.

yann2:

Hello, I am trying to replace my current sound solution (cf http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=315783&sourceid=2003 ) by something slightly more potent
emotion-10.gif

About me: I listen (mostly) to Rock, Hard Rock, and French chansons . I am *very* new to HI-FI - I decided to purchase a solid hi-fi system because:

* I was really fed up with the poor quality of traditional PC speakers (be it logitech, creative,... those I got now are just temporary, I used to have "normal" crappy ones)
* So many of those broke or were such absolute rubbish that I think I had my 5th in 4 years. So spending some money and keeping the system for a long time might actually be worth it...

I use my computer as main source. I just ordered this sound card to go with it: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/maudioaudiophile/index.html

I also bought a Rotel ro-04 amp today, as I read so much praise around it pretty much everywhere, it seemed like a safe bet.

To my questions.... :
* I need speakers! :) If possible in the 250-450? range (living in Berlin... and you know what, Hi-Fi is more expensive over here). I've been looking at the diamond 10.1. Challengers; Dali Lector 2 and B&W 685. What would match the Rotel? Is there a ratio for the amp/speakers price that kind of make sense? Is there a huge difference between the 10.1 and the more expensive 685?
* How do auditions work? Do I need to bring my amp? Do I need to bring music? Should I test several songs on every amp - how long do auditions work for "budget" amps?

Thanks a lot for your help - if I did something horribly wrong so far thanks for letting me know..

I totally concur with Matthew - also, if supplies are good in Germany, Epos M5, or if budget allows, M12.2is would have the dynamics to make the most of the Rotel.

A

Anonymous

It seems these cost about 700? (600 pound) here in Berlin... a bit too far over my budget I am afraid :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts