Premier League TV Rights - How Do I Get Foreign Coverage Of Games?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

After the ruling in September/October that it was now legal to buy a decoder to get Premier League games from abroad.

How would I do this? And how much would it cost in comparison to Sky Sports?

Sky's commentary really annoys me, and with Gary Neville talking tosh at half and full time, I'd rather it wasn't in English
grin.gif

A

Anonymous

Or you can move to Sweden like I did, and get any prem game you want on Viasat :)P

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Lee H said:
Alternatively, you could use Sky's Special Edition, Gary Neville remote...

Gary-Neville-remote-control1.jpg

grin.gif
I find the channel change gets used a lot.

I actually wrote to Sky threatening to leave if Gary Neville started working for them, they promptly ignored my threats, gave Gary Neville a job, and didn't bother to reply.

Oh well, was worth a try.

daveh75

Despite the ruling, nothings changed. You still can't officially subscribe to european packages unless you're a resident of/have an bank account in that particular country.

So to obtain the cards, you need either a friend/family member who's resident in the particular country to subscribe on your behalf and send the card/receiver to you or use grey market 'official' dealers to provide the cards (expensive option).

There are two cheap foreign packages around atm, Tring, an Albanian package (not part of the E.U, so not covered by the ruling) though plenty of people using them in the UK - and has been lots of problems with cards not updating, so lots of missed games, The other being ADMC Sport, a middle eastern package (so also not covered by the ruling) and unless you live south of the midlands it's difficult to impossible to receive.

For the main european providers your looking at around £500 - £1300 a year for a sub..(through an 'official' dealer).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

OK. Thanks for your help Dave.

Oh well, looks like Sky Sports with Gary Neville on mute.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Interesting thread...been wanting to get sky sports this year and was wondering how the ruling affects UK consumers, oh well Tivo box and sky sports for xmas as a present to myself it is then.

As for Gary Neville...don't get me started! As a loyal Liverpool FC supporter all my life i already have a built in hatred of him and after his antics in the Liverpool v Man Utd game a few years back i feel i should get a discount from sky for even hiring him in the first place lol, i simply cannot stand the beeeeep!

Just out of interest do sky have any plans to rename the mute button to the 'shut neville up' button? Or perhaps they will add it as on option like press the (insert colour) button to have the option of muting neville?

Either would be nice :rofl:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
As for Gary Neville...don't get me started! As a loyal Liverpool FC supporter all my life i already have a built in hatred of him and after his antics in the Liverpool v Man Utd game a few years back i feel i should get a discount from sky for even hiring him in the first place lol, i simply cannot stand the beeeeep!

And they say people take football too seriously...

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I must confess that I thought this ruling was more to do with business subscriptions which are, IMHO, way too high if you are a small outfit with not too many customers. From what I remember, sky sports is about 20 quid a month for domestic subscription which I think is a pretty good price considering what you get.

Actually, are we talking about other countries simply broadcasting the same feed, in which case, would you get Gary Neville speaking Albanian? (although some might say he sounds like he already does).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts