Pre Power, Power Amps or All in one?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I have the MA Silver RS8s, RSLCR and 4 x RSFX with a RSW12. I have been using these with a Denon 4308 (sadly now dead).

I am interested in adding the new front height speakers (suggestions?) and I am in the market for a new Amp. I am looking to spend no more than 5,000 GBP and quite like the idea of trying a Pre Amp/Power Amp system. I actually quite like the idea of loads of boxes!

I see that Denon do have a high end pre amp/power combo but this is twice my budget. Marantz have the 7000 series or the older 8000, the 7000 looks like you could add additional 2ch amps to it. Which again appeals.

To be honest this is all new to me as before I've always used the one box solution.

For the budget mentioned above I welcome any suggestions fellow forum members may have.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

What are you into? Music or movies? Because i like a lot of boxes shouldn't be your guideline.If movies a yamaha z7 or maybe z11 (if you can find one) are the way to go i think. (11.2 surround and decent stereo). If stereo is what you mainly use the amp for then i would go for a 2 box solution like the marantz 800x (beware.. No 3d no 1.4a hdmi I guess) The ma's sound great with the 2 box marantz solution.

If you want the best of both then the denon you mentioned or higher up the ladder classe would be an option. Maybu you can find a second hand denon set. Classe would be out of the question regarding your budget. Personally I would not use ma's on a classe. On the denon however I would..Just my thoughts...

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your quick reply Powersoft.

I would say that it would be 80% Movies, 20% music. When I do play music it is usually quite loud (house parties). Maybe i like a lot of boxes was a little flippant. The point I was trying to make is that sometimes people on here definately don't want more boxes, I do not have that restriction and if a multiple box solution is better then I have no objection.

Any ideas on suitable additional front height speakers?

Thanks

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
I Have just checked out the Yamaha Z11 and it does look mighty impressive, I am particularly keen being able to use it in the 11.2 format. One observation though, although i have no immediate plans to move to 3D the lack of 1.4HDMI concerns me with regards to future proofing. Is 3 year old technology the best I can expect for my budget?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. If musicality is a priority look at Arcam, Classe, Anthem and Marantz. If features, then look at Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon.

This is of course a bit of a generalization, so nothing beats finding out where your own preference lies.

Cno

A

Anonymous

The z11 is indeed a hefty apparatus... Yes it's 3 years old. Hence you miss the 1.4a spec. Don't know if there's a firmware update pending solving that particular problem. Else you can always buy a bd-player with 2 hdmi outs where you send the music through one out to the z11 and the 3d to your tv.If you want a lot of speakers it's one of the options. Yamaha offers a rx3067 which is capable of 11.2 with an extra external amp. It supports hdmi 1.4a. There also a denon 4311 that should be 11.2 capable.. If that's what you're looking for. For 11.2 you need a lot of room space ;) i wouldn't recommend it a small room...

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks CnoEvil and Powersoft.

My room is "L-shaped", the main being 4.7m x 9.0m with an additional 4.8m x 3.3m off the one end all open plan. Is 11.2 overkill in this setting? I currently view on a Pioneer 50inch PDP LX508D and have been considering a projector.

My BDP is the Denon 2500bt which has only the one HDMI out. I know none of the above support 3D but if in the future I felt tempted to move to it I want to make sure the heart of my system is capable.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The rx3067 and denon 4311 support 3d. 1.4a hdmi is 3d with audio return channel.11.2 seems a bit overkill to me... But hey if it fits it'll sound great.. And if you have a party then the walls will come down ;)Good luck sorting things out...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that if you go down the pre/pro plus multichannel power amp route, as with stereo you can mix and match. So you wouldn't need to confine yourself to 2 components from the same manufacturer. Whilst this makes the choice more complicated it also means you have greater choice in finding the right sound for you. As an example, just based on my own kit, you can get a primare a30.5 and then combine with a fully featured modern pre/pro.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
camdxr said:
Thanks CnoEvil and Powersoft.

My room is "L-shaped", the main being 4.7m x 9.0m with an additional 4.8m x 3.3m off the one end all open plan. Is 11.2 overkill in this setting? I currently view on a Pioneer 50inch PDP LX508D and have been considering a projector.

My BDP is the Denon 2500bt which has only the one HDMI out. I know none of the above support 3D but if in the future I felt tempted to move to it I want to make sure the heart of my system is capable.

Thanks

With your budget you should get a listen to the Arcam AVR 600. IMO It's the best sounding AV amp under £8k. There is a mod soon available (at a cost) which will allow it to handle 3D. Now I am a little biased as I bought one, but it would make a great reference with which to compare other contenders. (It's not a mile away from Arcam's Pre/Power @ £8k)

Cno

A

Anonymous

camdxr said:
Thank you for your quick reply Powersoft.

I would say that it would be 80% Movies, 20% music.

If movies is your primary thing, and you like a cinematic sounds curve , then the Onkyo or Pioneer should be on the top of your list. punch, dynamic, clarity and attack it,s all there at it,s best.

however if you have any personal preferences and you like what many called warmer laidback sounds, than you are better off with something like the yamaha, denon, marantz elc.

and no i don,t thing u will gain that much by going separat boxes for movie, unless u have a power hungry speakers with very low sensetivity, other wise most of the mid budget and up avr. today they do a good work and they should easly drive ur speakers. save your extra mony and use it toward upgrading something alse in your HT. Look at the Onkyo tx-nr5008 it will wow you with it,s calrity for details and knock your socks off with it,s dazzling power.

good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts