Pre-outs

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I am trying to connect my nad c352 amp to my Yamaha surround amp so the nad runs the 2 front speakers. i cant workout which pre out on my nad amp to connect the wires too. theres pre out 1 and 2. does anyone no which the wires are supposed to be plugged into?

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Are the external decoder inputs the same as pre-outs or are the something completely different. On the back of the yamaha this is all there is.. no pre - outs

John Duncan

[quote user="robw17"]Are the external decoder inputs the same as pre-outs or are the something completely different.[/quote]

No, that's different, they're for plugging a DVD player with an internal decoder into the six channels of amplification without having the Yamaha do any processing.

[quote user="robw17"]On the back of the yamaha this is all there is.. no pre - outs[/quote]

Then you're stuffed, frankly. What Yamaha is it? I know some do not have them.

John Duncan

[quote user="robw17"]ahh thts not good news : / Its the yamaha Rx-v396rds[/quote]Ah no, not good I think - pre-outs started at the 620 level I think. I'll see if I can dig out the 396 manual.

Gerrard - did you get that speaker switcher working in the end?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like you might have to do what I did and sell and buy to get what you want. To be honest, even most budget receivers have pre outs nowadays - strangely, the Onk 605 does not!! My receiver can be bought for £200ish, the Denons 1508 and 1708 very cheap too - they all offer you the solution.

John Duncan

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="robw17"]ahh thts not good news : / Its the yamaha Rx-v396rds[/quote]Ah no, not good I think - pre-outs started at the 620 level I think. I'll see if I can dig out the 396 manual.

Gerrard - did you get that speaker switcher working in the end?[/quote]

Nope, no pre-outs. Few options:

- google "niles DPS-1", which is a switch for connecting two amps to one pair of speakers
- get a Yamaha DSP-E800, which is designed to go in your NAD's tape loop to provide the surround channels (fifty quid on eBay)
- see if your DVD player has the six-channel out, and plug the front two into the NAD, the rest into the Yam - that might work, but would be fiddly to macth volumes, I expect.

cheers, JD

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
the Yamaha DSP-E800 sounds like a good idea. How is this amp different to the one ive got now. Also would the main front speakers stay plugged into the stero amp or would they need to go into the yamaha?

John Duncan

The stereo amp - pdf instructions are here, which shows you how to connect - basically it takes the digital signal from a DV player and provides amplification for the three missing channels, while routing the signal for the front two through your tape loop.

Should be on a par with your 396, quality-wise, if not better. No tuner obviously.

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Right ill look into getting that amp, 6 on ebay at the moment all ending within a few hours of each other so should be fairly cheap! Is there a way of connecting the 396 to the stereo amp so i could use the radio?

John Duncan

Not without pre-outs
emotion-1.gif

Get a Denon TU-260L Mk 2 on eBay while you're there - about thirty quid, and markedly better than the tuner in the Yamaha, I'd suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts