Pre amp or Receiver???

MrTeles

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone After hours of search I'm still with the same doubt... I have Dynaudio X14a (active speakers) with a iFi Micro iDSD DAC, and a cd reader (only with an analog output) and a turntable. So... I would like to connect all this toys to a unique system where I can control everything. I need 3 analog inputs (RCA) - one of them Phono - and 2 analogue outputs RCA (speakers + subwoofer), and I don't know what is the best solution - a receiver (with pre-out) or a preamp (passive/active)??? Is there any model in the amrket with those specifications?? My budget is under 500€.... :/ Thanks for all your help!!!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
In my (very limited) experience, preamps with all the connectivity you want are relatively rare, and quite expensive. I think an AV receiver with pre outs might be your best bet.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi-fi pre-amps tend to be quite pricy unless you go used, even then I think you might be struggling. There are some integrated amps that have pre outs, though rare to have 2 sets or even a subwoofer.

The only thing I can think of that has all the funtionality you want without going to an AVR would be the outgoing Onkyo TX8050. Currently around £350 in the Uk.

If not available, the Marantz NR1504/1506 AVRs do most of what you need without massively overloading on the AV side, currently £250/299 in the uk. You will need an outboard phono stage though

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You don't want much for under 500 Euros do you? :)

Can't think of anything for that money other than some sort of AV receiver.

Even upping your budget a little its not exactly easy to find everything in one box.

Advance Acoustics X Preamp is about the cheapest dedicated unit (ie. Pre-amplifier) that (I think) does the things you want in one box.

Easier and cheaper with multiple boxes.

MrTeles

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for you support!

I just have 3 more questions:

1. If I have only 1 RCA pre-outs in a receiver and i want to connect two active speakers and a subwoofer. Does the pre-outs have enought "power" to use a Y-splitter?

2. Having in mind, that I already have an active spearkers Dynaudio x14a anda a iDSD Micro DAC, could the pre-out of a receiver, somehow "damage the sound", or it will always give at least the same sound quality?

3. With this setup, should I realdy override my budget in order to get a preamp to get a superior sound or the receiver throw de pre-outs can do it to?

Thanks again!!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
the Y cable is all you need to connect actives with sub and AV preamp section will be perfectly good. AV receivers are very ofen use with actives in domestic set ups because of the preouts and because of the sometimes added capabilities like airplay, spotify connect, eq, internet radio, usb external drive input, sub out, fm radio.. etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts