Powerlines and Homeplugs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey I assume they are the same thing?

Also why do they sell them in singles as you need 2 for them to work... Right?

I have the Belkin ones, but they are only 85mbps Which things can stutter especially movies being streamed from my PC to my PS3.

This is my set up:

PC up stairs with all my media, and then my modem and AV and PS3 down.

So I just wanted to ask, why do they sell them in singles if you need two.

And can someone recomend some new ones for me, cheap as possible.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
canada16:So I just wanted to ask, why do they sell them in singles if you need two.

I guess because you can use more than two to provide access in several locations...

A

Anonymous

You know what andrew..... You dont mind if I call you andrew do you
emotion-5.gif

A light went on in my head after typing, that someone might have another PC in another room... Ha

A

Anonymous

85Mbps is a theoretical maximum. Speed depends on the wiring/quality of the electricity net + position of the plugs. It can be lower than 10Mbps in real life and I would count on it being good enough for video streaming . Advantage over wifi is that it works over longer distances and is very reliable. For advice check computer sites with tests.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
canada16:You dont mind if I call you andrew do you
emotion-5.gif

Rather than what? No, Andrew is preferable to almost anything I've been called in recent times...

A

Anonymous

I have got a thing at the moment for a Netgear HD 200mbps. So will that stop the stutter?

My wiring in my house was ripped out and re-done in 2008, so all new.

Is there any point in me buying this? as its less than 70.00 and its over 100 everywere else
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=0623463&c_4=4|cat_14419015|Wireless+peripherals+and+adaptors|14419016&c_3=3|cat_14620077|Wireless+networking|14419015&c_2=2|cat_16849273|Home+office|14620077&c_1=1|category_root|Home+Electrical|16849273

A

Anonymous

I am going to buy it, and sell my belkins, so should work out cheap.

But I only have a free router from sky, would that need to be upgraded?

I have my PS3 downstairs with my modem and PC upstairs, and need to stread HD content from my PC to my PS3.

Nice1

A

Anonymous

Just seen a Belkin 1GB one for 80.00
emotion-3.gif

I know I wont get 1gb, but reviews have said they have got 300mbps and its only an extra 10enner.

Might wait for a bit

canada16:

I am going to buy it, and sell my belkins, so should work out cheap.

But I only have a free router from sky, would that need to be upgraded?

I have my PS3 downstairs with my modem and PC upstairs, and need to stread HD content from my PC to my PS3.

Nice1

You don't need to upgrade your router. Just buy a couple of 200Mbps homeplugs (not 85Mbps because you want to stream HD content). Connect your router to the Homeplug via ethernet cable upstairs, & another homeplug downstairs near your PS3, to connect your PS3 to this via ethernet cable.

TRENDING THREADS