Powering ipod

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I listen to all my music through my ipod, i have an ipod dock that is currently connected to my home cinema amp, would buying a separate stereo amp improve quality or maybe a different cable or both? Any info would be helpful.

nads

dont know the amp but others do. haqve you not thought of running the PC direct to the amp? as with the iPod you are still limited to the iPod built in dac. (I believe).

idc

Hi baylos82. With regards to connecting the ipod to any amp this is a copy from another post;

Ways of connecting an ipod directly to an amp:

- LOD or line out dock. A connector goes into the port at the base of the ipod and a cable runs to either a mini jack or phonos, which then plug into the amp. This connection usually bypasses the ipods own amplifier, but not its DAC. The volume is then controlled by the amplifier. The ipod is not charged through the LOD. Examples of LODs are the GQ-24 from Russ Andrews and the iBasso CB03. Both sound excellent.

- Dock. The dock connects through the ipod's port, but it also charges the ipod and does not always bypass the ipods amp, so the connection is different. Many docks then connect by mini jack to minjack or to phono cables. Examples are from Cambridge, Apple and Arcam. See What Hifi reviews as many docks are not great.

- Minjack. A minijack cable from the headphone output at the top of the ipod to minjack or phono. The headphone out is the least effective way of connecting an ipod to anything. There are loads of such cables on Amazon and ebay, most for under a tenner and that cheapness refects the lower standard of connection.

- the Wadia itransport. This bypasses the ipod's amp and DAC. Phon cables are then used to connect it to the amp. It is expensive and reviewed by What Hifi.

The alternative to the above is not to use an ipod at all. A PC with itunes connects to the amp via a DAC. Some amps have their own internal DAC. The PC usually connects to such an amp with a USB cable. Otherwise the DAC sits between PC and amp. The connection by PC to DAC is either USB, optical or digital cable. The DAC then connects to amp by phono cables.

There are other variations, but the above are the most common.

As for whether it would be worth using a dedicated amp for the ipod, as opposed to the av you have, not sure? What is your priority, music or film? Do you want to wring every last drop of sound quality out of the ipod? My inclination is that unless you want to start using itunes on a PC as your source, as opposed to the ipod as a source, don't change the amp. Instead look at improving the means of ipod to existing amp connection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts