Power supply upgrade from Russ Andrews?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
They quite expensive especially from Russ but why would it make a difference? I understand that a separate power for e.g. your phono stage is a step up in performance but does the Russ Andrews replacement of my project turntable make a difference?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't know which Project TT or cartridge you are using. (Or whether you use a custom support for it.)

The Russ Andrews PSU (for Project) costs £126 for the 2m flex version.

If you don't already have one (or something similar), I would recommend one of these Pro-ject wall supports first. (£75)

If your deck is already properly isolated (and levelled), then £126 worth of cartridge upgrade would come next (unless you already have a cartridge above this price/performance level).

Finally I would recommend £126 worth of lovely new albums.

I am sure Pro-ject have already provided an excellent PSU and £126 could be far better spent elsewhere*.

*How about getting 40 of your dirtiest records professionally cleaned on a Keith Monks machine for about £120 ? (Including return postage and new liners.)

A

Anonymous

In my experience, Russ Andrews products are good. And they have a trial period - there's a few things over the years that I've tried out and ended up sending back, without issue. Good quality power can make a huge difference, but only if everything else in the system is at a good standard, otherwise it will still make a difference, just not that noticable. Also bear in mind that sometimes these kind of upgrades can change your system sound in a way that you don't actually like (mainly if it unmasks some other issue). It is therefore best to try before buying, or buy second hand at a good price that will give you the option to resell it at little or no loss if it doesn't work out.

Anyway, regardless of which upgrade, my general advice would be to only do this kind of upgrade if you are really sure that you will be keeping the main component for a long time; otherwise when you upgrade the phono stage, the power upgrade will become redundant. Upgrades are a hard sell on the used market. Of course it's different with something like a power cable which you can just use with the next or any component

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Yes he does have some good stuff but I have also had the experience of poor manufacturing...one being the plug of my signature power cable broke after 2 years. and also the sticker from one of my power conditioners (which I have sold on) came off and yet they were really expensive to buy in the first place! it could be better quality wise, also the metal stickers of my long not used anymore speaker platts came off by itself!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts