Power Mains

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

In order to further improve the audio/video quality of my home cinema system (46" Sony Bravia, B&W MT-30 5.1 with PV1 sub, Pioneer SCLX81 & Denon DVD2500BT), I'm thinking of changing the standard power cables that comes with the units to better quality ones.

However, I was informed that a relatively cheaper & arguably better alternative would be to buy a 4-way or 6-way mains conditioner (Eg.http://www.hificablesandaccessories.co.uk/acatalog/Monster_power_centres.html#a772) & keep using the standard main cables.

Any advice as to which option is better ? (If none of the above is the answer, what should I be doing !!?? :))

Thanks !

A

Anonymous

The best thing I have found myself on my system is buying a BT Mains Conditioning unit off Ebay, and plugging that into your system. With them you can use any old kettle lead if you want.

It consists of a big mains transformer, (they do various values from 125VA up to 500VA units) and some large mains capacitors and internal overload protection. Cost around £40-£60 when you can find one.

You can buy conditioners brand new off the likes of Russ Andrews, but they cost up to £2800!

A

Anonymous

Trevor, I have 'aquired' a BT 500vA mains conditioner (don't ask me how!-ahem) but it is so noisy I can't sleep with it running! (All my kit is in my bedroom). Have you found them to be noisy(ie, mains hum) or do you know of an effective way of damping the transformer? I have tried to open mine up but I think I will have to remove some rivets holding the casing together to gain access. I thought I might be able to fit some rubber bushes to the tranny mounting or encapsulate the windings with resin, for example.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I don't think your last sentence is fit for publishing on a family-friendly website.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

trevor79:The best thing I have found myself on my system is buying a BT Mains Conditioning unit off Ebay, and plugging that into your system. With them you can use any old kettle lead if you want. It consists of a big mains transformer, (they do various values from 125VA up to 500VA units) and some large mains capacitors and internal overload protection. Cost around £40-£60 when you can find one. You can buy conditioners brand new off the likes of Russ Andrews, but they cost up to £2800!

Thanks.. Guess its not easy to find one... Any idea where I could find one ? :)

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:I bought one of these http://whathifi.com/Review/Tacima-CS929/ - (although I think it was £23), not sure if it made any difference though, but at the time I needed a power block and black blended with my room a bit better!I got a couple of the same from Amazon for £18 each (+ P&P) a month ago, having just spent about £2k on AV kit it seemed a no-brainer if just for the anti-surge side things. Can't really comment if they made any difference to sound and picture as I've been using them from day one

A

Anonymous

Arepeebee:Trevor, I have 'aquired' a BT 500vA mains conditioner (don't ask me how!-ahem) but it is so noisy I can't sleep with it running! (All my kit is in my bedroom). Have you found them to be noisy(ie, mains hum) or do you know of an effective way of damping the transformer? I have tried to open mine up but I think I will have to remove some rivets holding the casing together to gain access. I thought I might be able to fit some rubber bushes to the tranny mounting or encapsulate the windings with resin, for example.

Am puzzled by that, mine are totally silent.
Mains hum? Well its a balanced supply on the output, check that it is split equally between the positive and negative wires (115v on each). If not it looks like you have a short inside the box!

A

Anonymous

Hmm, that's interesting, getting 240v from live and 0v from neutral. Didn't actually realise they're a balanced output- or supposed to be. It's a brand new unit, so should be ok, but obviously isn't. Probably why I hadn't really noticed any improvements when i tried it out (though never did any proper testing). I actually got this about a year ago, for the very purpose of cleaning up my HIFI mains, so it was encouraging to see that you've had positive results with them. May have to whip off those rivets and do me some investigatin'!!

A

Anonymous

It's the best £25 I ever spent. The Tacima instanlty improved the quality of my TV picture by removing most of the picture noise from my Sammy 40" M87. Also sent bass like I've never heard before bellowing from my MA RS6's.

I know there are sceptics out there but unless the TV signal was boosted 10 fold on exactly the same day the bass fairies visited my house I'd say - to quote the What HiFi Boys n' Girls "Really is a no-brainer" go out and get one today!!!

A

Anonymous

Arepeebee:Hmm, that's interesting, getting 240v from live and 0v from neutral. Didn't actually realise they're a balanced output- or supposed to be. It's a brand new unit, so should be ok, but obviously isn't. Probably why I hadn't really noticed any improvements when i tried it out (though never did any proper testing). I actually got this about a year ago, for the very purpose of cleaning up my HIFI mains, so it was encouraging to see that you've had positive results with them. May have to whip off those rivets and do me some investigatin'!!

Just read your post, so have gone and checked my units with a meter.
Yes, mine are like yours showing 240v / 0v so it is not a balanced supply as I thought. Apoligies

However they are silent in operation, could the hum be due to voltage on the earth line perhaps?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts