Power Cables - Amp Rating

spooks1982

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
So, I happened to have a few 'audiophile' (yes I know) power cables to hand - now I realise this is a bit contentious and I'm not debating whether they make an audible difference. What I want to know and this is after the fact because I've been running this cable on my power amp for a week or two without issues relates to the amp rating on the cable. I read in the small print online that the cable is only rated to 5Amps and is suitable for source devices and low power amps. My amp is 120-Watt per channel.... I've actually never known of a power cable not rated to run stuff plugged into a uk standard power socket. Have I been running in an unsafe fashion or at risk of anything? The cable is a Black Rhodium Libra. They actually made a specific one for higher power devices at one point....

Thanks!

Gray

So it’s got a 13 amp fuse in it - go figure. 🤔 brown / white fuse.
I did have to go and figure.
They say that there are 16 strands of 0.2mm per core, so 3.2mm of conductor - which will handle more than the 13A of the fuse (as you would expect).
They do indeed rate the cable at 5A continuous - it would comfortably do that (and more).
That's a conservative rating, not that it matters. As Insider said, in practice 5A is way more than you will actually put through it.

abacus

Throw it in the bin and fit the one supplied by the manufacture back in, as this will be designed to be safe and meet all electrical standards, as well as be appropriate for the equipment.

Avoid anything made by cable manufactures that are not certified, (Hi-Fi cable manufactures very seldom show certifications) as there is no guarantee that they are electrically safe for use on the mains.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts