Power Amp (using M-Dac as pre-amp) for Monitor Audio GX300 speakers

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Any thoughts or recommendations?

I am streaming via Squeezebox Touch to the M-Dac and currently using an old Cambridge Azur 640R Receiver to power the MA GX300 speakers. Though the Cambridge is doing a pretty good job I'm sure I can get a lot more out of the speakers with a power amp that's 'designed' for the job.

Thanks in advance....

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I use a Quad 909 and I’m very pleased with it, you can normally pick them up for about £500-600, if you don’t mind spending a bit more to buy new then the new Elite range has replaced this model.

That said the M-DAC is reportedly better when connected via balanced connection, not that I’ve heard one but I’d be seriously tempted by something from Emotiva. They tend to divide option and many people are put off by the fan boys but they pack some serious power and I’ve read many favourable reviews.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi bluedroog - thanks for the input - I think taking advantage of the balanced xlr outputs of the M-Dac would make sense so I know that limits models but if spending on an upgrade then may as well improve the prospect of better sound. I've never heard Emotiva either but they seem great value and as you say have had some good reviews too....will have to see if anyone in Singapore stockks them for an audition. I also quite like the look of the Audiolab mono blocs though they are pricey....

artist

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

John Westlake, the designer of the M-DAC , is going to release his own Westlake brand mini power amps this year.

These are to be designed to accompany the MDAC and are to have balanced inputs.

See pinkfishmedia site for more info,

Regards

A

Anonymous

I use Avi s2ooo monoblocs to run my GX300's, these amps have excellent grip, soundstage and transparency and IMO a great pairing for the speakers, the build quaility on these amps is excellent and can be bought 2nd hand for around £500.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Artist and Gordy.t for your thoughts. Will keep an eye on what John Westlake gets up to. When I purchased the M-Dac I thought it a bit strange that Audiolab only offered one balanced XLR Amp option currently with their mono blocs (and they have just updated their amps too). Maybe John decided he has to do what needs to be done to partner the M-dac best himself...... Has anyone tried/heard the Audilab mono bloc amps with the GX 300's?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts